Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 24/05/19 Jumping the Shark

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 24/05/19 Jumping the Shark

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 86 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mage 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well my painting plans didn’t happen this weekend.  I might have to take Thursday off though so might try and fit some in then 🙂
    On the upside though I picked up the Dreaded Ambull expansion for Blackstone Fortress and got the beastie himself built  (still need to get a game in but now I have WHQ:BF I’m down for staying up to date on all the expansions at least), ordered a load of resin bases off of Antenocities Workshop for my Infinity, put some Scions and Reiver parts on order, tore through the Blackstone Fortress novel, read Zoe’s War from the Old Man’s War series, watched a LOT of Youtube videos and not a great deal else 🙂

And on the subject of Rogue Trader, I did always dig how back then Space Marines had military police units and some of the names each of the individual metal troops had. I do still find the reasoning given by the 2nd Ed design team for the Squats getting Squatted a bit disingenuous – if you don’t “get” a faction, surely that’s a challenge not a disqualifier? On the flipside we did get Tau and Necrons filling that sort of design space, but it’s ironic that in the modern 40k the units that made the Squats so distinct in Epic would be right at home amongst the knights-titans and super-heavy tanks that have become so prevalent. Tell me that a modular Land Train kit that allowed you to purchase additional variable configuration carriages would not be a hot ticket item….

Also, I would love to see someone other than Mantic or Hasslefree take a stab at modernizing the feel of the Squats. I mean the Kharadron Overlords are nearly there already….

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Also,  well done @mage  for making me feel ancient by saying he was 10 when he got into 3rd ed >_<

wolfch
    6803xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I know it’s a bit of a fiddly idea and madness but… at that scale, wouldn’t coffee stirer work beautifully as planks and matches works fine as wooden pole for the structure?

@dawfydd mhm Ambul… so tempting ^^  have a blast on that project

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@wolfch matches are too short and brittle. I have “rocket sticks” (those wood ends of firework rockets) but it’s not the material but the actual “how to build” that’s running around in my head. Maybe I’ll make a text for it and add it to the Project blog.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Quick post here. Busy morning with errands and spending time with the GF. I have more stuff to do after sitting down for a few with a coffee. Then I have the gym, to mail a parcel and cook. I should be back in the evening time to post properly. I did some work on my Primaris Chaplain and Apothecary yesterday. The picture isn’t great.

818B9644-CC43-4C08-86AB-41F62134DF55

Also, any volunteers to host this weekend?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  mage.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Okay I have a few minutes to spare.

I will reply to Page 5 before page 4 as it is shorter and I might actually complete it!

Page 5 replies:

@dawfydd

Busy weekend eh? I got less done than I thought but I wasn’t able for more when I did have the free time.

How is the model to put together in the expansion? Fun?

The Blackstone Fortress novel any good? Anything good on youtube?

Seems like your wallet is lighter.

The military police did come back and got referenced in one of the Horus Heresy Forge World books.

The land train sounds fun but a lot of effort from a design point of view. How big and modular are we talking here?

The Kharadron Overlords are practically there already as you say and I think I have heard of some people actually doing it but cant remember. Long day

And correction, I was 12 actually.

@wolfch

Tell me about it. I want the ambull and the ambots from Necromunda too. I saw some people convert the latter into Ork characters in armour.

@sundancer

How do you even buy rocket sticks? Where would you get them? Amazon?

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage nope, it’s a bit of a tradition to go and collect them the day after. Helps keeping the streets clean plus it’s free building material 😉

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Look at you, eco warrior! 😉

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s a win-win-win XD

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

My models as of last night. Going to hilight everything except the red, gold and green again

288B8D33-81AD-4CAC-AB84-A2711A43E125

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Managed some painting between rain spells. Too overcast for pictures so will try to remember for this weekender.

I added a wash to the wood on the purple tentacles, a wash to the bprd uniforms x a lot. Flesh on anyone with flesh and most importantly I started the flesh on Roger the Hormonculous and did the highlights on Big Red’s flesh and hair. Fairly productive considering the shocking weather.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert : ah .. classic White Dwarf. The one that had hobby bits for everything.
    Good times 🙂

@sundancer : *eep* … I saw bits of that game. The rat swarms are truly terrifying in that game.

The bit with the pig is brutal …

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger I thought it was tasty…. though the scene was somewhat “ham fisted” *muahaha*

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer :

squeal little piggy … squeallll … 😉

//

I found rather interesting videos on the new contrast paints :

Interesting, no ?

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Sorry I’ve been away most of today; helping my brother move. I might be going a little dark for a while, too, because real life is getting involved and I have to try and work out how to deal with that… Thanks for the kind words on the colour experiments, however, it is much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)