Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 31/05/19

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 31/05/19

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mage 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Ahem shameless copy and paste who said that???

Ladies and Gentlefolks, hello! Welcome to the Hobby Weekender.

This is a somewhat niche thread on BoW that acts as a weekly painting support group, social thread and friendship circle where all are welcome. We have a host, participants, meaningless points, awards, and post pictures and music. It is a little silly, not to everyone’s taste, but is fun and I encourage everyone to participate. My intention is to make the thread as friendly, welcoming and inclusive as possible.

So, we start with a pledge, and post pictures of our work and post up music as well from there. Also, I act, or the host rather, as an arbitrator. Such a serious word! So the host moderates, runs and hosts the thread. They also post up questions to stimulate real conversation so this becomes as real as possible, as if you were at a club or friends painting night. That way we get to know each other better and have conversation going on as well, even if our personal lives and hobby time prevent us from immersing ourselves to the degree we could prefer.

The rules: don’t be a dick. Use your common sense. Keep the swearing and innuendo to a minimum if possible as these posts appear in other users inbox if they subscribe by email to different forums on the site. Also, no religion or politics: it NEVER works. Be supportive, kind and respectful. In turn, we are all positive, encouraging and once more welcoming to all.

So please pull up a chair and join us. This is not an exclusive club, so join on in! ?

Also there are bonuses for the following ‘Achievements’:
    · Most Valuable Player (most engaged with topic)
    · Fire Starter (topic starter, encourages the member circulation)
    · Hobby Champ (most hobby over the weekend)
    · Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes)
    · Pun-Tertainment (best pun)
    · Brush Licker (painting & terrain)
    · Headliner DJ (most eclectic music)
    · Armchair Commander (weekend battle reports)
    · Community Usher (helpful & engaged)
    · Storyteller (weekly discussion & story)

This thread will run from today until maybe Wednesday. Or Thursday. Ish

Ill come back to the questions. My night shift is almost over. Then drive home. Then sleep. Then gym. Brain capacity is minimal.

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

Morning @mage , have a good kip dude ?

I’m determined to get some painting done this weekend as I’ve kinda crapped out the last few weeks and I want to make some progress before my spinal surgery on Tuesday. As is though I had some more Reiner parts come through so have finished off the CC squad and just need a few more bits for the Bolt Carbine unit. Both for my Raptors force. Also picked up a 10-man Intercessor kit off EBay that I think I’ll have a play around with later. Will try to get some pics when I’m up and more awake ?

Otherwise I’m planning to try and get out to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters before Monday, and have a review copy of Lupin 3rd Part 4 to take in (although that might be something for when I’m recuperating).

Anonymous
    0xp

@dawfydd I’m determined as well to paint this weekend and try and break my painters block!  Could build models all day but have been avoiding painting like the plague.

Pledge
    Paint stuff.

Music

dawfydd
    11888xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert yeah, my main issue is I have to move a chunk of stuff to get to my  painting area, which can be a pain (literally sometimes)….

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some painting (de)motivation:

Ace of Basing – DORK TOWER 30.05.19

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

EBE9F5B4-051F-4A44-A912-4C053DE11E05018CCB47-B0B2-418B-A0ED-C41982A50EB89A04508F-D9A1-4766-926E-B9438B00328180E5CC4A-9B5F-41D3-94C4-DECA063252A173454FA6-71FF-458C-B0CB-A22353DB304223F573EE-C06C-4A27-995E-E8049930951DEBD28947-4170-40D4-BBC2-D8C5A03CA12C4A718ED1-5DC9-4147-9071-AE7B6F024197

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

82C7123F-E19F-4BFE-93B3-D42CA9BB3A906C2C0ACE-E819-40B5-A8BC-41BF3A8120321E727606-5B23-44D9-8A2C-C7802023E0722B3CBCAF-9252-4A6B-8226-CBC4379ABF29D4BA4C63-FF2E-4B98-A0B4-8CC9DA5BCC9CF8060076-B90A-46BB-94FC-14C63DDC9EEA7C37D53F-5402-4E8D-BE55-2C8CBBEEB4A7432489B7-0AEE-417A-9FFB-57AF755D0FC2Lord knows why I arranged a gym appointment for 90 minutes after waking up…

also have inflammation in my left ear so difficulty hearing out of it. Yay!

heres my work. I’m off to watch YouTube videos til my ear returns to normal…

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Good afternoon, all (though I imagine for most of you chaps it’s possibly closer to dinner time)! I may still be a little patchy here and there, but I will do my best to do stuff. Let’s just call that my pledge; do stuff. On the subject of stuff, I did a little bit earlier to fix a problem that’s been bugging me for a bit. I wanted a gun on my Cataphractii Legion Officer that wasn’t the Combi-melta he comes with, and I love the Volkite weapons from Heresy, so I stole one from my Tartaros Sergeant and gave him the Plasma Blaster instead. Then I struggled to get the pieces to fit, then added an Ultramarines badge on his shoulders and BAM! One Legion Praetor/Delegatus! Not sure how big Horus Heresy is here, but I have a collection of it…not much is ready for playing with, though. 😛

20190529_165757[1]

He is also in a sub-assembly, but the Heresy characters from Betrayal at Calth actually fit together quite well in their sub-assemblies, which is nice.

Have some music my Friend introduced me to. I like Battle Beast, Noora really does have a great voice.

Anonymous
    0xp

@mage there is a school of thought that training after you wake can be better as you have higher levels of testosterone.  I don’t know if there is any evidence for this though.

@sundancer please don’t demotivate me… though I do have some things I could base and build 🙂

@crazyredcoat that is a nice mini.  I do like a bit of 30k.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

lol … ‘do stuff’ … yeah … that be my pledge too.
    I’m thinking of checking out a local event called ‘fantasy court’ on sunday.
    Not expecting much and it’s supposed to be bloody hot (by Dutch standards, I’m sure ozzies will still think it’s cold … )

Also Activision has proven that they have completely run out of ideas because the next Call of duty is going to be …

(wait for it)

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare

And as the name suggests it is what is known as a ‘soft reboot’.
    ie : they discovered they made a ton of money by selling the remastered version with DLC that costs more than it cost originally. So they’re doing what any company in need of ‘moar munnie’ will do when their previous game made more than most companies can hope for and yet it still wasn’t enough for the suits in charge.

*meh*

oh yeah .. trailer :

(‘actual in game footage’ text reminding you that this is pre-rendered bullshot using in-game assets instead of actual gameplay … )

/rant … (had to be done ;-))

//

More interesting bits from GW … the new gang for Necromunda : ‘Palanite Enforcers’ (Adeptus Arbites with a cool gang name I suppose)
    And dare I say that they look sweet ?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/31/revealed-at-the-uk-games-expo-2019gw-homepage-post-1/

Anonymous
    0xp

@limburger I’m going to be that guy and say I prefer the old Arbites.  Though the new models for Blackstone Fortress are lush!

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@robert Thanks, mate. I like the minis for the Heresy, but I haven’t got all mine built or had a chance to play, yet. It’s a bit more complicated that 40k… 😛

@limburger I understand you rant on the CoD series… I used to play the original Modern Warfare religiously and I loved it, so I finished the Modern Warfare series…it got a bit meh, but I finished it. Then I tried Black Ops I and no more after that. Palanite Enforcers look amazing; I’m going to use some as elite ‘guardsmen’ for Macragge for my Ultramarines as a bodyguard for my converted Inquisitor. Also, Aussies don’t experience temperature the same way us mere mortals do; they’re a special breed. 😛 At least on a hot day the Netherlands has plenty of waterfront to enjoy, right? I’d love to visit there one day.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat : I never got into CoD as a series. Far too linear for my tastes. I guess it’s because my first FPS were Wolfenstein 3D, DukeNukem 3D, Quake and Unreal. We had no cut scenes or carefully choreographed shooting galleries.

The beaches are taken over by the Germans digging holes during hot days so I wouldn’t recommend it.
    And avoid Amsterdam at all costs. Too many tourists and drug addicts, not enough normal people.

@robert : nothing wrong with that. And to be honest they could have used a bit more of the classic models, but then they might have looked a little too much like Judge Dredd clones ?

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@limburger If I had the chance to visit, I’d probs fly into Amsterdam and spend, maybe a day just to say I’d done it, but I like to go to the less traveled places when I visit other countries. I went to Lofoten while I was in Norway, just to see it. 😛 I’d quite like to see some of the more inland places in the Netherlands like Eindhoven and Nijmegen. I’d also like to go and visit Arnhem. I’d probably find learning Dutch a little tricky, though, and I hate going to someone else’s country and not be able to say at least basic phrases in the local language.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat : Eindhoven is pretty boring … I know, ’cause I live there  :-p
    ‘s Hertogenbosch (also known as ‘Den Bosch’ in order to confuse foreigners ;-)) and Maastricht are more fun.
    If you’re into World War 2 then you should add Overloon to the list of places to visit, because there is a big WW 2 museum.

Don’t worry about learning Dutch. Almost everyone speaks English or at the very least understands it.
    This might help :

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)