Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 31/05/19

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 31/05/19

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mage 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

YE Olde Questions

• Question 1: What do you feel is an iconic language from fiction, fantasy, or science fiction and why?
    • Question 2: How do you feel about ‘Common’, ‘The Common Tongue’ or ‘Galactic Common’ being used as a language in games or fiction? Is it lazy now? Is it cliché? Or classic?
    • Question 3: Do you listen to music while you hobby? If so, what do you listen to specifically for hobby? And if not, why?

Anonymous
    0xp

@mage Suggested questions… 1. What is your favourite type of soup?  What hobby related soup would you most like to eat?

2. Who is your hobby hero?

3. Why is Robert so awesome, or not? 🙂

Please never use the last one!

Edit… too slow, but I think my soup question is awesome 🙂

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@robert

1) Gravy for fried chicken. Hobby related? I always wondered what Vulcan food was like from Star Trek. Star Trek has been made into tabletop games, computer games and RPG so tenuous link established.

2) Dave Paints on Facebook does some beautiful stuff, Maxime Pastourel has a beautiful Death Guard army, Eddie Eccles has also produced some amazing armies. I love Mark Bedfords Blood Angels

3) Various reasons, most of all being he participates in the hobby weekender continuously.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Okay Im off for a while.

Anonymous
    0xp

1. Klingon… so many references in pop culture and things related to it.

2. A common tongue, universal translator or Babble Fish is a necessary evil, imo.  As selfish as it sounds, subtitles aren’t for me and take so much away from what is happening on the screen.  Game of Thrones (TV series) hit a good balance between in universe language and english.  Even to go one step further, Chernobyl is vastly better because they have went without subtitles, and also the actors changing their accents.  The director has allowed people to focus on the unfolding terror.  It is stunning TV, and I say that as someone who hardly watches movies and doesn’t really watch much TV.

Again paragraphs of something unintelligible is also a waste of time if it is just there to highlight how intelligent the author is.  I could also go on a rant about unpronounceable names.  Perhaps not such a big issue with the internet and ease of hearing someone pronounce it.

3. Yes.  At the moment, I listen to whatever CDs I have brought up to the shed, which is mostly CDs I have bought in the last couple of years and a few classics like Live after Death.  I also have a old iPod classic up there as well so the odd audio book I ripped to it gets a listen to every now and again.

Soup is nearly done and then I can go play!

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

@mage only these , still working on two heroes and a unit of ten infantry

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Question 1: What do you feel is an iconic language from fiction, fantasy, or science fiction and why?

What ever language Jabba the Hutt talks in RotJ. Simply because you can make sense from it in a weird way

Question 2: How do you feel about ‘Common’, ‘The Common Tongue’ or ‘Galactic Common’ being used as a language in games or fiction? Is it lazy now? Is it cliché? Or classic?

It’s just the way things would evolve. Just like a large portion of people on earth have some knowledge of the English language. Although the “city speak” sounds much more like something on a galactic scale 😉

Question 3: Do you listen to music while you hobby? If so, what do you listen to specifically for hobby? And if not, why?

Mostly not. Usually I listing to podcasts, YouTube videos (gaming related) or just TV series via Netflix that I already know so that I don’t feel the need to watch. Music gets me through my workday though. I love my headset 😉

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Question 1: What do you feel is an iconic language from fiction, fantasy, or science fiction and why?

I think I’ll have to agree with @robert with Klingon on this one. The fact that it could be argued to be a ‘real’ language speaks volumes for its impact.

Question 2: How do you feel about ‘Common’, ‘The Common Tongue’ or ‘Galactic Common’ being used as a language in games or fiction? Is it lazy now? Is it cliché? Or classic?

It’s not lazy, because it’s vague. Think of it this way, you write an RPG in a fantasy world, but you wrote the book in English, because that is your first language, but you want a worldwide audience? ‘Common’ can quickly become German, or French, or Swahili. It’s an easy way of making a game more welcoming to all.

Question 3: Do you listen to music while you hobby? If so, what do you listen to specifically for hobby? And if not, why?

I tend to either listen to music, or have some sound. Usually, it depends on my mood but I have a tendency for heavier music, but sometimes I change that up. Sometimes all I need is some background noise just so there is noise. I basically hate silence, long story short.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@sundance It’s called Huttese, if I remember correctly. His whole species are called Hutt and come from Nal Hutta. It’s odd. 😛

Anonymous
    0xp

@tuffyears those are most excellent.  You should be proud of them!

Anyway, as soon as I got to the shed, I got a delivery of stones.  So I have just spent the last wee while sorting out an area of the garden that used to have a greenhouse on it (yes, I used to have 2 greenhouses and used to grow tomatoes, chillis and peppers).  It is now my herb garden, as nothing beats fresh herbs when cooking.  Also got a present from my sister who decided to visit as well today (after I had the stones and pots moved so no help there) so the  courgette she gave me is now sitting outside the hobby shed.

Forgot the gardening pictures.

IMG_1520IMG_1519

Just had my soup and going to have a wee rest and have a look what new toys have been releases at the #UKGE2019

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

> Question 1: What do you feel is an iconic language from fiction, fantasy, or science fiction and why?

The one language that was only used in a single episode of TNG : Tamarian
    Why ?

“Shaka, when the walls fell.”

“Temba, his arms wide”

( https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tamarian_language )

Because most fictional languages assume a relatable grammar pattern.
    Very few make an effort to be something other than a bunch of weird noises (Klingon in Star Trek and the languages in Tolkien’s world are exceptions).
    However this one is different. Here we have one that completely changes what language is because it really is alien.

> Question 2: How do you feel about ‘Common’, ‘The Common Tongue’ or ‘Galactic Common’ being used as a language in games or fiction? Is it lazy now? Is it cliché? Or classic?

Having to roll language checks every flockin’ time would be boring.
    So pretending everyone ‘understands’ each other is better. And in a way more realistic as cultures/people that trade often enough will develop a common tongue or switch to a dominant language or use magic/tech to solve the problem.

That’s not to say that a language barrier can’t be fun …
    The episode ‘Darmok’ in TNG was great because of it.
    Likewise the early episodes of Enterprise where they used the lack of a universal translator as a part of the plot.

Besides … I’d rather have ‘everyone speaks English’ instead a really bad mangled version of an actual language (either use native speakers or train your flockin’ actors to not butcher words).

> Question 3: Do you listen to music while you hobby? If so, what do you listen to specifically for hobby? And if not, why?

I don’t listen to music while I hobby, because listening requires that I pay attention to it.
    I merely use it as background noise.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

just finished these two boys

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  tuffyears.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Stuff has been done! I did some more webbing re-colouring on the Dad’s Army minis that I’ve had finished. It’s not a perfect match to the series, but it’s better than it was, certainly.

20190601_094432[1]

Hodges, in the back, has the original colour on his gas mask satchel that the others had on all their webbing. Pikey is the most finished because he’s my favourite, I just haven’t gotten around to putting the basing on the others, yet.

I also did a bit of work on one of my regular officers. I decided, with his pose and all, to have him as an Artillery Officer for use as an observer for the guns, so I added his correct Arm of Service mark under his division badge, hopefully it shows up in the picture. I also recoloured his webbing too. Not sure if it’s visible, but he also has a red and white spotted neckerchief on.

20190601_101024[1]

I should be doing more useful stuff…but I’m just not feeling it right now… Maybe more stuff on the way later.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

This is interesting article :

https://deepmind.com/blog/capture-the-flag-science/

yep … actual bots that learn how to play a CTF game without cheating.
    How cool is that ?

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@robert <35 points>

(1) Soooooo many.
    (2) I don’t have a problem with it either, just the generic repetitive name for it. 20 points.
    (3) 15 points.

@tuffyears

1x Mamadroth
    2x Characters
    1x Shadespire Warband

I have to say I am impressed with how much (detailed character models and a large monster) you have done and how well done they are. This was all recent (wanna make sure before I award what will be hefty points)? I love, LOVE the army. See the new Gotrek model previewed?

@limburger <10 points>

A bot learning to play games? Disconcerting. 10 points

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  mage.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  mage.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)