Skip to toolbar

Hobby Weekender 7/09/2018 – A Hobby Weekender is Never Late

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby Weekender 7/09/2018 – A Hobby Weekender is Never Late

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 87 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  elessar2590 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • Author

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

Progress was made today ! Got 3 of my FJ tank riders sorted . The tricky part is finding arms that suit the pose you have in mind without having to kit bash an arm out of 4 cut up pieces . Both the German and Russian troops with the , long thigh length tunic are great for leg swaps as the crotch is hidden under the tunic . Lots of latitude for poses as opposed to the Brits or US plastics . Not fun trying to give those guys a normal looking lower body .  IMG_20180908_205550038IMG_20180908_205612261IMG_20180908_205650556

The seated figure is a mix of plastic seated German lower body , with the upper body of  a plastic FJ  .I haven’t decided if the seated figure or the kneeling figure on the rear will be carrying the MG 42 , its a case of test fit the arms and weapon to see how it works . Pictures show a dozen guys riding on the the engine decks of these Tigers , but I’ll be happy if I can shoehorn in 7 .

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great work everybody.

@oriskany Great answers to the questions and those Six Day War tanks look incredible. I didn’t notice the Easter Egg very cool.

10 points for the Questions and 5 for the pics.

I finished some Hobby myself this morning before heading off to my Gaming Group.

From Giants in Miniatures (Wargames Illustrated): Lieutenant Presley Neville O’Bannon of the United States Marine Corps 1801-1807 the First man to raise the American Flag overseas in time of war.

DSC00237-minDSC00238-minDSC00239-min

@a27cromwell The tank riders are coming along great. It’s things like this that really make minis stand out on the table rather than just being a token.

10 Points for the pics/idea

@evilstu Very nice work and the 3D Printed stuff came out. The Ork looks pretty good keep us updated.

5 Points for the Pics and 5 Points for the replies

@mage 10 points for the pics and replies, 10 points for the pledge and 10 points for the Battle Report.

@sundancer liking the Legion stuff.

10 points for the Terrain

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

Morning folks.

Apologies for not chipping in on last weeks weekender. Work’s been kicking my ass and then I just needed to disconnect from stuff. but enough self-pity –

@elessar2590 fair shout for taking over the reins for this weekend. It’s really heartening to see folks jumping in to keep the thread running (and save @mage from  burnout) 🙂

Questions:

1) As should be readily apparent from my various Astartes, I LOVE a multi-pose kit that offers plenty of options. Gives you a real chance to play around with combinations and create something unique (or The LEGO Effect). I’ll admit that the Primaris kits outside of the easy to build kits worried me as the torsos and legs are more fixed but if you have the Intercessor and Hellblaster kits you have a huge range of options available, as well as spares for conversions (in fact the biggest limitation is their in-game loadouts). by the same token though I can full appreciate sets that are either mono-pose (great for mass-battles), or have more fixed poses. For example I adore Infinity, but whilst you can convert stuff up the fact they are metal makes it a bit trickier, but by the same token Corvus Belli make a real effort to ensure that each mini looks unique, even a line-trooper. Or there’s the LOTR kits where the troop boxes give you 12 individual sculpts per sprue, which will then repeat, but they are “grunts”….

2) I don’t have easy access to them  at the moment so can;t take any pictures, but the last Empire army I attempted for WFB had some conversions and paint jobs for the characters that I remain incredibly proud of. But then these were painted before I took my break from painting and there are things I do now that if I had done then would have improved the overall effect. I am rather proud of my Ragnar Blackmane conversion,  even if he’s not exactly unique amongst the community 😀

2018-06-02 17.32.42

3) I’m a bit of a Hobby Butterfly? I’ve come back to 40k, and Infinity has become my main “Other” range (and my LOTR Rohan army is calling to me), but I do enjoy browsing news, Kickstarter and Ebay for ranges that might just make fun projects or something to give me a change of pace. As a rule I try to limit anything like this to skirmish games where you might only need a dozen or so models for a faction  to be done.

So, still no painting this weekend, but over the last week I’ve built another 5 Blood  Claws as I realized none of my existing packs went up to the 15-man limit

2018-09-05 10.00.25

Given I had picked up a couple of extra copies of 40k: Conquest and had some spare  bits built a 5-man rifle team of Intercessors (think they’ll go in the box for once the Wolves, Deathwatch & Crimson Fists are done…)

2018-09-05 10.01.41

and as I had some parts spare used some of the extra intercessors to knock together 2 more Hellblasters for my Deathwatch to field a 5-man squad, purely so it gives me a HS choice to unlock  the Relic Leviathan Dreadnought 😀

2018-09-05 10.01.10

And finally for hobby I got my copy  of Operation: Coldfront through for Infinity and got the Tartara Army Korps minis built. Gorgeous models.

2018-09-08 19.44.44

Otherwise Got through The Punisher and Luke Cage S2 on Netflix, which were both excellent, and have Iron Fist S2 up next. Also I realised that I had set myself a rather ambitious goal on Goodreads of reading 104 books for the year, so 2 a week. Managed to get it to the point that I am now at 64  books down, 40 to go….

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

A more detailed reply to follow later, busy with Dad stuff today. Got some assembly and painting done last night after my little dude went to bed:

View post on imgur.com

These guys are half done:

View post on imgur.com

Tore thorugh then at a quick satisfactory pace. I hope to finish them today.

Unpictured is an Arcworlde wizard model with basecoats and an assembled 40K special character, Commissar Yarrick.

I must also post part 2 of the battle report.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons yeah the sacks do look sort of like hessian sacks I’ll admit, but would be almost impossible to paint and I don’t even want to imagine how they’d take a wash 😛

@sundancer nice progress on the terrain. The ‘Merry men’ comment made me laugh too.

@oriskany one thing I will definitely also put in favour for ‘standard’ posing of miniatures is that for rank and file games they are so much easier to have all the models rank up. I have some units in my collection where I have been forced to play with the first rank in formation to indicate position and facing, and a loose mob following thereafter…

@a27cromwell have you ever tried heating and bending the plastic to get the limbs in the position you are after? I have done it with less rigid plastics, just wondering if it would work on Warlord minis?

@elessar2590 outstanding work on the lieutenant there. And set up by some really nice work on the base too.

@dawfydd I hear you on the work front :-/ Hope you have some downtime (or at least a quieter period) queued up soon… Nice progress on the assembly and conversions 🙂 I do like the proportions on the primaris marines. Still need to decide what to do with the marines in my Dark Imperium starter. While I am planning to do a few small Kill Teams to play out the armageddon campaign a little (Salamanders, BA, wolves and maybe black templars?) this all happened before the arrival of primaris marines, so there is no obvious progression for them. I could always do them up as ultramarines I guess? Or a new chapter maybe?

@mage hope the weekend with your son has been nice 😉 heh, am contemplating tracking down a Yarrick. Still need to decide whether to go with the limited range of GW Steel Legion minis or source some more poseable/customisable components form Anvil Industries. Will have to confess I am leaning towards the latter…

Not too much hobby today. Some more progress on my historicals, including supergluing washers to the bottom of them all to make them less top-heavy. Not particularly exciting hobby progress but should result in reduced profanity when they hit the tabletop and I can push the movement trays about without them all falling down drunk… And also started throwing a quick coat of paint on some 15mm WWII buildings as I might be getting in a game or 2 of Tanks next weekend…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  evilstu.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Just gonna leave this here2C7FEAEC-F3F0-4C7B-8E8C-95E6366CA1EC

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Complete 100% insomnia attack – 5:00 AM here and haven’t slept a wink.

Hobby this weekend is totally spent on Boot Camp Prep.  I have been drawing the campaign map for Operation Crusader in Photoshop, formatted and printed for 46″ across, cut in sections for pre-shipment to the studio.  Clear painter’s tarp will be stretched over this, and dry-erase markers will take the place of authentic ww2 grease pencils for “General’s Table” campaign progress and tracking!

(open image in new tab for best view) – this is also the half-scale web preview

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  oriskany.

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu sadly all still go-go-go at work at the moment. The only non-weekend downtime I’ve had has been for medical reasons, which doesn’t really help with relaxing  >_<

Totally agree, the Primaris are genuinely nice sculpts across the range and do better fit the sort of stature a Marine would have next to anything else in the game,and their stats make more sense as well. I have seen plenty of folks use them as the basis for Tru-Scale Marines instead of Primaris, so that might be a good shout for your Armageddon campaign? as for me, I’ve used the Dark Imperium minis for half of my Crimson Fists, as it’s fluffy for them to have a decent portion and I dig the idea that Kantor would mix regular and Primaris units in his companies. Otherwise I’ve odd units for the Deathwatch, and am thinking of converting a squad or two for the Wolves (I dig the description of Agressors as being the most jovially friendly of the Space Wolves Primaris),  but otherwise I’m thinking the Conquest force will be a home-brew chapter….

@mage OUCH. Who deserved that burn and would they like some ice?

@oriskany that is sweet dude.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@elessar2590 Thanks for hosting this week! @dawfydd I don’t take it personally, much ?.

@evilstu Point taken. And no will in the world would convince me to file them down.

@mage Great report so far, looking forward to the conclusion. @sundancer any paint going on the tower yet? Chosen colours? @oriskany map looks great, campaign should be a whole lot of fun. I’ll be semi trying to keep track when it’s on.

@a27cromwell is there a reason you don’t play? Your stuff looks great mind you. Enjoying the how many soldiers can I got on a tank game. You should look at GW Orks, right up your street.

1) I’m a very lazy hobbyist so although I prefer multi pose and options I’m not opposed to easy mode assemble by numbers. I used to play Warhammer fantasy when it was ranked and multi pose line 3 and 4 would make me lose the will to live.

2) My favourite kit bashes I did was my word bearer khorne berserkers. Not a stupid helmet in sight. Used as many hooded heads as I could get. Weapons from all the other kits too so no bad looking chain swords. Patched the icon together too as you don’t one in the box. Painting on them isn’t great but nothing I couldn’t fix now. You will be shocked to hear me suggest photos later.

3) I suspect I am an alpha hobby butterfly. I’d be worse but I can’t afford it and my local area doesn’t have the players to support it. People forever keep pointing new games at me and I have to stay strong and stick to the games I can get opponents for. We have a new local who wants to play Bolt Action and we have a small Flames of War contingent so alongside @oriskany and the Beasty Boys I’m sorely tempted. Although Kill Team, Batman, Necromunda and adeptus Titanicus also s team for my attention.

@mage I’ve agreed in principle to split the new Infinity box with the local Aleph player but he’s very coy about when.

Hobby wise this morning I’ve done nothing except try and find the 40k dicemasters in the UK. Impossible I think. Revenge for 40k Conquest?

Some music

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons I’m thinking of grey with grey highlights and maybe some dark grey on the barrels… some light weathering and it’ll get a base of sorts…

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and kind words!  I promise to make a better reply sometime tonight (still haven’t gone to sleep, now approaching 40 hours … )

Meanwhile, actually got started again on a little Darkstar.  It’s certainly been a while since this project has been active.  A big reason has been the upcoming Boot Camp.  However, some people who’ll be at the boot camp have expressed interest in trying this out at the BoW Studios, so I thought now would be the best time to start making up some enhanced 3D playing pieces.

I’ve talked about this before.  Right now, with 11 active factions and almost 100 starship classes in 14 different category types, the total “fleet” of playing pieces is well over 300 ships.  Needless to say, I can’t do 300 ships like this, so what I’m starting is to build a smaller fleet of say … 20-30 ships then using some kind of magnetized attachment feature where I can switch out the actual “miniatures” with the base (where the faction, ship class, and ship number are displayed).

After all, there are almost never more than 10-12 ships on the table at once, even in the biggest game.

So here I have two heavy cruiser, four light cruisers, and four destroyers, ranging from just under 2″ to 1.5″ long.  Cut from cardboard, balsa dowels, and small jewelry hobby bits.   These will be painted later today, then made “magnetized attachable” to a wide array of bases so I can accommodate whatever players may want to try during the upcoming trip to BoW studios.

And if it doesn’t work out at BoW Studios, no worries.  This was something I’ve been wanting to get started on for quite some time, and it feels good to take a brief break from the desert.

More to come, hopefully later tonight!

Project thread:

Darkstar – New 3D Playing Pieces!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  oriskany.

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd nice work on the Marines, more Bloodclaws always equals Gooder if I remember rightly although it’s been a few years since I’ve played Space Wolves.

10 Points for the Questions and 10 Points for the replies and 5 points for the pics.

@mage it seems we use the same paint palatte 5 Points, 5 points for the progress. 5 points for the meme. The minis look great, can’t wait to see them finished.

@evilstu 10 Points for the replies. I like the campaign idea they’re a lot of fun.

@oriskany ouch sorry to hear that mate.

The map is really cool, yet another great reason to play Historicals anything can be turned into a mini campaign with enough effort. The ships looks awesome, I can’t imagine the patience it takes to cut out and glue all those tiny pieces.

5 Points for the map, 10 Points for the Ships and 5 points for working on the bootcamp stuff.

@woldenspoons I like the idea of Khorne Beserkers running around in hoods, makes a lot more sense that they would wear them instead of the neck-breaking helmets they have.

10 Points for the questions 5 points for the music and 5 points for the replies.

Some Sabaton to start the week (5am Monday here)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  elessar2590. Reason: I'm an idiot and linked to the Swedish Version

irishsteve
    12947xp
    Cult of Games Member

Right then! This has been a HUGE 10 days for me (and my lovely wife and mischievous wee hound) – moved back to Ireland from South Korea after living there for 13 years.  Getting my new studio up and running was pretty high on my ‘get it done quick quick list’. And up and running it is!! First…. let’s have some tunes.  One of my favourite types of music to paint to is electro swing. Really gets me going and gives a good pace and rhythm to a painting session so I give you one of me favs –

questions next….. oh they’re a couple of good uns!!

1) single pose or multi………hmmmm….. a bit of both. I don’t mind the single pose but I will probably personalise them a wee bit with a few additions or alterations. Some of the stuff I paint is purely display pieces and are single pose and that’s ok too. If I’m doing a squad or summit like that I want them all to be a little bit individual. A squad of total clones is a no no.

2) ohhhh superb question – I’m gonna cheat a little and offer up two minis. The 54mm Eisenhorn and Cherubael.  I don’t think they are the best I’ve ever painted but when I look at them I think they may be the most important (to me at least ) I painted them soonish after getting back into the hobby after a 12 or 13 year hiatus and they were the first minis I really pushed myself on and started to not just try new things but to start making shit up on the fly as I painted – really just went for it and the result was something I was both really proud of but also felt a real jump forward in my own learning curve and confidence.  See what u think. Whenever I feel a painting learning plateau or slump coming on, I look up at these two rascals and they push me forward and on.

55CEF44F-E5C3-476A-930C-9D45D1BEE02AC3DC66C2-961E-4C61-ABCD-9F0B23DD9EF3

3) hmmmmm……. I paint way WAY more than game so the minis are always more important to me than the game system.  That said at the core (at the minute anyway) I focus on Necromunda snd KD:M but I do flit out and about if I find something else I fancy painting. And I have a selection of boutique or purely collectors minis that I am and do work on.  And ofc there is then the commission pieces I work on which can be just about anything. Except infinity. Not a fan.

Oh and now that the new studio is up and running I’ve managed to get some painting done and FINALLY finished the prologue survivors!!

C7F4FBF5-EBE2-4A7A-90B2-F4AB8089D56D

And that’s the week that’s been and gone 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  irishsteve.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Okay, everyone.  The new scratch-built miniatures are complete and being packed up for shipment across the ocean for the visit to Ireland.

Again, the idea is for a “fleet” of 20-30 ships or so (10 have been built so far today since about 4:00 AM), and have them detachable for use with different bases for different factions.

Three ship classes represented here – Destroyer (DD), Light Cruiser (CL), Heavy Cruiser (CA).

For now, attached to Royal Navy / United Kingdom bases, and IJN / Japan bases.

Built from light cardboard, balsa dowels, and small bits from my girlfriend’s jewelry hobby box.

Primed in Krylon medium gray.

Dry-brushed in lighter gray craft store acrylic.

Weapons mounts painted lighter gray, along with white and blue running lights, red and green port / starboard maritime navigation lights, and light blue engine glow.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

So the largest miniatures here are for heavy cruiser.  Just under two inches long.

The smallest ones are the destroyers, about 1.5 inches.

This makes the minis about 1:9000 scale (destroyers in this game mass about 45000-52000 tons, about 850 feet long).

Smaller ships (not built yet) would include frigates, then corvettes, and finally gunboats (about the side of the Millenium Falcon).

Larger ships would include pocket battleships, battlecruiser, battleships, supercarriers, and superdreadnoughts (600-650,000 tons, about 3-4 kilometers in length).

Darkstar – New 3D Playing Pieces!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)