Skip to toolbar

If you are looking for trouble…

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming If you are looking for trouble…

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 198 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  elessar2590 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 225 total)
  • Author

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Since @oriskany mentioned me I might as well take part.

Round 2 of trying to paint some 28mm Afghan War Soviets.

1. HBO/BBC Rome is good it’s the show that made GoT Possible.

If you’re into older stuff Shangani Patrol is pretty good. Made in Rhodesia in the 70’s. Think Rorke’s Drift but there’s on 25 people and they’re all Wild West cowboys and it ends like the Alamo. Historical movie and pretty good considering when/where it was made.

Bridge too Far is great.

If you’re after a good book I’d recommend Horse Soldier or 12 Strong (same book can’t remember the title) about the US sending Special Forces in Afghanistan days after 9/11. Don’t watch the horrendous movie they made from the book (as I did last night) it’s terrible. They gloss over all the interesting stuff, end the movie in the middle of the book, don’t even get into the problems of CIA, Special Forces and Mercs working together without talking to one another (Spoiler alert in the book they talk about an incident where one group is trying to talk down some Taliban in a building while another is trying to storm it while the CIA is calling GPS Missile Strikes in on it). Yeah fantastic book awful movie.

2. My week’s been good, started off pretty rough but tomorrow is my niece’s 1st birthday and Baptism so it’ll end pretty good.

3. I’m from Australia so it’s winter here. It’s actually not an issue 90% of the time the only problem is I live in a DONGA (Tin Shed but much more fancy) which is really well insulated but with no bathroom I essentially have to use the main house as an outhouse which isn’t so great at 3am in 5 Degree Weather.

4. My single biggest regret is that no one grabbed me aside and just beat the ever loving crap out of me. Little pukey embarrassment I was trying to act all cool with someone who was really not interested in me at all. PSA if you ever know some 17 year old who’s dating someone because quote “you’re the only one who asked me I guess” shake him violently and scream at him he’ll thank you for it.

5. Decided to start a Youtube Channel. At work I spend almost the entire day listening to Audiobooks so I’ve got time to do the research and it’s one of those things I’ve talked about doing for a while.

6. Getting into some Modern’s. Picked up some 80’s Soviets very cheap at Briscon (a Friend has Chechens) and next week I’m picking up some Rhodesians and “Terrs” for some Bush Wars games. Rhodesian Fireforce tactics are prefect for skirmish games. 32 Men in 4 man sticks with air support would parachute and helo insert at very short notice into the Bush to take out Guerrilla’s.

Turns out a lot of our Modern Counter Insurgency stuff actually comes from Rhodesia including MRAP’s which are a Rhodesian invention (the South Africans made them much better later on).

PHOTO_20190720_102353-min

Soviet Afghan War is really interesting and easy to play since you just take a Scenario written for UK/US/AU Troops and swap them out for roughly equivalent Soviets.

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Part 2.

Great Cover of Roland the headless Thompson Gunner

New Band with their First CD coming out soon. If you like Sabaton you’ll like these guys

If anyone wants to check out my channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuj_cx8x0DGoDC09XCI9zGw

oriskany
    60736xp
    Cult of Games Member

@elessar2590 – I did not know you had a YouTube Channel. Awesome!  You have a new subscriber! 😀

I mentioned you because our taskmaster, @unclejimmy the Merciless , demands tribute in the form of weekend pledges – hobby and gaming goals set out that WILL be met! Well, one of my many many goals this week is our game of AirWar C21 over North Vietnam on Sunday (your Monday). **

** seriously, guys … this dude gets out of bed at 6AM his time to chuck dice with me and the Sitrep team – Valor & Victory Vietnam, Valor & Victory Lebanon 1982, Naval Command: Falklands, Darkstar, and now AirWar C21 Vietnam.

I am assembling the map and playing pieces tonight, along with the Darkstar game tomorrow between @damon and @rasmus .

Time enough for sleep in the grave!

That reminds me, I still owe you some premliminary materials, incoming to your gmail right now …

rasmus
    Participant
    8879xp

So I been summoned from under the rock I been stuck under for the last few months – my new life pledge is don’t move house ever again , but going for a more doable one for the weekend and more gaming related, as my now weekly D&D been canceled this week all the dice I’ll touch is when @oriskany generously host a Darkstar Saturday.

If I can muster the energy, I will try to bring a little more order to the new games room, pics will be incoming got room for 2 6’*4′ tables – need to go to the Homedepot and buy two boards for table tops, and need to order a 2nd set of legs got the 1st set build – going for tables that can be adjusted height wise. 1 of them need to double as hobby table and likely also as a table when working from home.

More likely that doing anything on the games room, I have a number of Karzaks for Infinity to build, some that been  around since Gen-Con (almost a year ago) or I might just sit next to the AC, as we have a heatwave this weekend, with temperatures that would be more familiar to @oriskany 94-99F

Questions …

1. Tell me something you have watched since I have been away?

While it is a bit over the top Frontier on Netflix is enjoyable

2. How as your week been? Good or have you taken an Ak47 to work, again?

Over the biggest hump of the year, moving house as we did buy one just down the road from the one we did rent when we moved to Cleveland, actually having time to join here, and join the game tomorrow is a luxury

3. It is the summer! In the UK it is the start of the school holidays today and my wife has six weeks off. How about everyone else? Children to cope with or jetting off to foreign shores?

Send my daughter off to the In-War, so trying to get her self to agree that we can pick her up next weekend, in which mean we could just catch Iron Maiden in Brooklyn and make my summer – Alternately I’ll try to see them in Buffalo or Pittsburgh

4. Tell me about your very first girlfriend/boyfriend. My first holiday romance and then ‘real’ girlfriend were during the summer. What was the best thing about it and what did you do to make a fool of yourself?

Not counting the kindergarten girlfriend, the first one played me and my mate for a fool and it was great as it all was new, even 30 years later I find it hard to be cynical – If you “steal” your mates girl for the summer, don’t be surprised if he steal her back – rinse and repeat – and of cause that little triangle did not end well – Stuff happen when you are 15-16 (wonder where they are today …)

5. Since I have been away tell me a few things I will have missed. Were you David, but are now Davina?

I can now apply for US citizenship after only 3 years (I could also have done it in the UK but that did take longer, and Ireland when I lived there or just about … 4 citizenships might have been too much)

6. Just a quickie…anyone thinking of a genre change?

I never been a single genre kind of guy – but now I drifted back into some RPGs again and I love it, and a very cool way to get local friends who are not from work

https://youtu.be/ITetFIHBdME

A quick ditty about a heavy knife – point to an extra answer for question 1. Hrafninn flýgur (When the Raven Flies) is a “spaghetti western” set  among vikings in Iceland

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

I kind of hope to move house ‘soon'(tm) too, because it is more economical and I’m kind of running out of space for my hobby.

Need to find one that is within budget first though, which isn’t easy as a lot appear to be even smaller than my current appartment.

In other news … it looks like the digital visitor package for the 40k bootcamp is arriving today 😀

So it’s all Ork all day 😀

Found a Russian cover of Sabaton song :

original :

(They’ve done a few Rammstein covers too)

Anonymous
    0xp

If @nakchak starts posting in this thread, I do think that will be a sign of the end – 4 horsemen coming and all that!   I’ll let @unclejimmy decide who is who… speaking of Armageddon

@cpauls1 cheers, buddy.  They are Battlefront figures.  Not bad for one piece figures that small produced in plastic.

@rasmus The Legacy of the Beast tour is amazing.  Saw it twice last summer in Belfast and in Scotland.  Wish I had of gone to a couple more shows.

I need my porridge and coffee but as Conan the Barbarian once said “I’ll be back”.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

A real D-day flag was returned home this week :

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-netherlands/bullet-riddled-us-flag-that-survived-d-day-comes-home-75-years-later-idUSKCN1UD274

I don’t understand why it cost that much to acquire, but then I don’t understand the greed that makes people pay that kind of money to begin with.

Topgun 2:Maverick trailer :

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1745960/

I kind of doubt jets are supposed to fly that low … but then this is Hollywood and it kind of looks cool.
    I guess Tom Cruise needs the money and isn’t getting to play in any real movies these days.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Questions …

1. Tell me something you have watched since I have been away?

Umbrella Academy, Stranger Things, Chernobyl, Diablero so many to choose. So many hidden gems like the almighty Happy. I swear, go find it, go watch it and spend the rest of your days confused why everybody else isn’t watching it.

2. How has your week been? Good or have you taken an Ak47 to work, again?

It was an average week. I took Monday off as an emergency day because my dog was injured but she’s fine now. The rest of the week was filled with the same annoying people it always is. Oh yes and had a phone fight with a ‘customer’. Over something I have nothing to do with. Sigh.

3. It is the summer! In the UK it is the start of the school holidays today and my wife has six weeks off. How about everyone else? Children to cope with or jetting off to foreign shores?

Pfft I can’t go on holiday. I can’t afford them AND toys. It’s an expensive hobby you know.

4. Tell me about your very first girlfriend/boyfriend. My first holiday romance and then ‘real’ girlfriend were during the summer. What was the best thing about it and what did you do to make a fool of yourself?

A girl who I met camping. I was friends with her boyfriend and pretty much stole her. It was fun while it lasted but long range relationships rarely equal long term.

5. Since I have been away tell me a few things I will have missed. Were you David, but are now Davina?

You missed my arrival, I don’t imagine you missed contrast paints but them. Although they won’t replace painting they are an excellent addition to it. I’m not kidding, I may never paint flesh normally again.

6. Just a quickie…anyone thinking of a genre change?

I’m always tempted by historical gaming as in 2nd world war. Luckily I don’t have the funds or space for it currently.

I have a job interview on Tuesday, same organisation but a totally separate arm. Hour interview and 45 minute excel test. Not saying I’m confident but I’ll probably be wondering what to do for the other 40 minutes. As for the job it doesn’t matter but its going from the hellhole dump in the land the Internet crawled to die and buses arrive if they like to a purpose built modern state of the art building overlooking the sea in a growing town centre with buses every 10 minutes and more money. Not sure I’d take it though ?.

My hobby is limited this week as a result but I will probably assemble the rest of my easy build Space muhreens and possibly the rest of my KOW Vanguard Trident Realms Warband.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Cramp! I hate cramp. Good morning Puniverse, how are you today?

@limburger – did you think I would have? Nah! It takes more than a few strokes to do that. Remember my motto: “Nil Desperandum”.

Anyhoo, it has just been building-up. I did make a a nurse at the vets cry, but that was because she is a choob.

That will serve as a pledge. 10pts for reading the instructions. What must some people’s games be like if they can’t even read the introduction in here? Oh, the misery…

1. Isn’t that a spin-off from a ‘Black Mirror’ episode or am I thinking of something else? If you haven’t tried BM then do, but ignore the last series.

The best thing I have seen for a while was something called “Inside No.9”. Written by the same guys as did ‘League of Gentlemen’ and is just a series over very cleverly written short stories with outstanding twists. One of the stories involves two travelling wiych-hunters and is one of the best shorts I have EVER seen.

TNG was appauling. Riker was so gay that he could be hidden in caravan site! What was wrong with his fu**ing neck? We were made to stand upright, including the neck/head, while in basic training…guess he will ill that day. Data would have been stripped down long before he made it to the Enterprise. Picard just wants to be Ahab and the plots were so horrible that they just let anyone write for them. JLP is watchable (in First Contact) because PS is a good actor. He is a terrible ships captain and Captain Kirk would have ripped his lungs out after 10 seconds in the same room.

All the spin-offs had the same problems. A great idea, but with no thought put into it. Babylon 5 blew it away. However, original Trek rules.

2. New job! Good one. 100pts. Hope you are enjoying it. New stuff rules.

3. All the parents complain to Heather that they will now have to look after their own children. They will soon learn what she already knows. Sometimes ADHD just means your child is a little bastard and not ‘challenged’.

4. They are if you live in your parents darkened basement! 10pts. The dark side of gaming. It is a pity for most because geeky girls are so much sexier and intelligent. Mine is! Geeky goth girls are better. Mine was. So, you must have a massive right forearm?

Be careful on that bike…your eyesight must be dreadful.

5. Changed jobs twice! Blow or bank? 100pts. I couldn’t resist! Anyway, you expect it…

6. AoS…no foul language please! This is a family friendly forum. Fine, it might be the Manson family, but rules-is-rules. The minis just get worse from Wacoshop. Flying Sharks? I know that “wizards did it”, but that is just taking the piss. The new prices go beyond banditry. I wouldn’t mind if they had good games, but they are now copying the Infinity starter sets.

I suppose I have played through a few. We all probably have.

You can’t beat the King…even though he liked to beat his wife/girlfriends. 10pts. That man could sing. His version of ‘Amazing Grace’ will make a glass-eye cry.

Rammstein – nice! 10pts. Question: are they queer? Derek loves them. So does Eve.

@robert – Aqualung is a real classic. 50pts. I will have to play it through soon. I have a gate-fold version somewhere.

I have not been well enough to go gigging about, but I made it to a few. We went to see Fish and then we went to see his final show at Newcastle. Very, very good, but a bit sad. I did force back a few tears as he started ‘Sugar Mice’. Pity Mr. Rothery wasn’t playing beside him.

There is a game on Steam where you can almost run your own train set-up. ‘Transport Fever’. it is also Mod heaven!

Awesome bases! 50pts. I always love good bases. So many ignore bases.

@woldenspoons – Oh, just just don’t see how it works. It is easy…you just do as your told! Simple. You might not get a “next time” with that sort of attitude. I have dealt with your sort loads of times. All piss-and-onions. I might only have the real use of one side of my body, but I would hurt you so bad that your offspring will have a limp.

Ariadna rules. Awa’ up tae Scotia with me for a week and find out. It is just like ‘the Wicker Man’. 50pts.

I’m sure you like picking-up bikers! It takes all sorts to make a world and I don’t judge. That is always for a vengeful god to do. It’s a pity I can’t ride anymore…we could have had a day-out.

You didn’t read all the rules. Play nice or play with yourself somewhere else. (it did say NO DICKS and i’m the only exception)

@oriskany – wow, there is always one who didn’t get enough hugs growing-up. 100pts. how is your busy self, today? Heather is already thrashing about in the garden. Not even one day!

I got it, but I just can’t resist it. It’s like when you have a sort tooth…you just have to keep touching it. Sorry! If you are into new things then good for you. I am just a cave-man. 10pts.

I have only had 4 girlfriends and I married one of them. Bloody hell, Heather has had more girlfriends than me!

When it comes to small aircraft I used to use the little Tamiya Tomcats, for model ships, for a wargame we used to play.

The stuff you can buy in MDF is beyond imagination. I love it. I buy loads of it. TTCombat rule. A maglev for £19…yes please! The garage is from MicroArts Studio. We bought one of their bundles last summer and they sent us hoards of extras. The paintstation is from a guy just down the road. I am sure it was less than £25 and it comes all pre-cut and packed. You should just get yourself another locker! Boot camp rules.

@mage – AND YOU TOO! 100pts. I hope you have been a good boy?

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Back soon…shop run required!

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

Inside No 9 is great.
    I’ve only seen 4 episodes (Sardines, ‘Cold Comfort’, “Nana’s party”, “Last Gasp”) because I watch so little tv I never remember when it’s on.
    I think they also did that crazy clown series called ‘Psychoville’ ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305562/ ).
    Lots of dark humour.

Why is it that the British write such good comedy ?
    Is it the non existent budget or something in the water ?
    It’s soo much better than the kind of middle of the road teenage toilet humour that American comedies attempt.

I don’t know if Rammstein are queer.
    They do appear to be obsessed with it though, but maybe that’s just how Germans are ?
    We should ask @sundancer to explain this.

I quit my job because I was running on empty and had no more energy left to remain civil and I also felt like I was on the edge of a burnout as a result. I then got a new job, but I didn’t quite fit in. I think I needed too much time to re-adjust to the new environment. At the moment I’m past the 30-day trial period for my new job and I do feel like I’m happier.

My eyesight is not that bad. I did get my first pair of glasses (+1 which is the bare minimum) a few months ago, because I started to have trouble reading the small print.

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

e3h2dcop8e431

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

I don’t know if Rammstein are queer.
    They do appear to be obsessed with it though, but maybe that’s just how Germans are ?
    We should ask @sundancer to explain this.

Who disturbs my slumber? Rammstein is anything but typical German. In fact they try to shock as much as possible and they tend to land in hot water with it. (especially playing with symbolism form the 1933 – 1945 era.) Climax of it all was when they used video footage made by Leni Rifenstahl. She made it as Nazi Propaganda. You can imagine how that stirred up some people.

Plus themselves calling their music “neue deutsche Härte” (new German toughness) made a lot of people think of Rammstein being right winged. But if you get closer with their personal past and what they think they are anything but right winged.

All in all Rammstein is not typical in the same way as Lederhosen. It’s a part but only a fraction.

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Progress on the Soviets and my 15mm British Paras

PHOTO_20190720_210016-minPHOTO_20190720_210020-minPHOTO_20190720_210033-minPHOTO_20190720_210027-minPHOTO_20190720_210037-min

cpauls1
    Participant
    8957xp

Good Morning All!

I’m off to my LGS shortly, but thought I would drop in first. Change of plans for today:

IMG_0677 (2)

I should really finish my Traveller ship’s crew first. During the grand opening of the LGS last year I brought a bunch of painted models along to promote the monthly painting classes. A local radio station was there, and was going to feature the models on their Facebook page. They all got ripped off, including two ship’s crew (I should have 10). Anyway, I had to buy five of everything to put together some replacements. That will be the plan today, if I can find time during my class.

Ship’s troops are in the background, and I will paint up two Anvil gun tractors in navy colours as well to stalk the halls of alien starships. I have a whole bunch more for the combat team.

@elessar2590 Fabulous paint jobs on those models! Do you use specific historical colours or just wing it? I usually use dollar store stuff, so curious.

Music from the interwebs this morning:

I’ll try and check in later in the day. Have a good one all!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 225 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)