Skip to toolbar

Kill Team – price leak?

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Kill Team – price leak?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  tankkommander 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Starter box £80

Kill Team expansions £37.50

These are RRP so with online discounters you might get closer to £64 and £30

irishsteve
    12947xp
    Cult of Games Member

If those prices are legit………. daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!! Much cheaper than I expected! So in!

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Just remember that the Kill Team box sets provide the very minimal amount of miniatures and little/no variety.

You will have to make additional purchased to flesh out a proper varied Kill Team.

As GW doesn’t sell much in the way of individual miniatures or small units then you will have to buy a lot of surplus miniatures. So there is a lot of hidden cost here for new players. Those with existing collections of GW stuff will have an easier time.

I was thinking of getting in to this. Really liked the original Rogue Trader rules and setting. However on taking a closer look at Kill Team it just doesn’t seem to stack up unless GW make it easier to buy a proper varied Kill Team.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Let us take Space Marines as an example.

Units you can field in your Kill Team are;

Scout, Tactical, Reivers & Intercessors

The expansion box has 5 x Reivers for £37.50

You will then need to buy additional models to get some variety.

Tactical Marines – 3 for £6

Scouts – 5 for £15.50

Snipers – 5 for £15.50

Intercessors – 3 for £10

So to buy the necessary figures to get a full variety for the Kill Team is really £84.50

Not such a good deal for new players.

tonysilvey
    7974xp
    Cult of Games Member

I was expecting it to be closer to the £100 mark. I would hope that there would be a healthy trade base built up in single figures on ebay/facebook to make this more affordable.

osbad
    4274xp
    Cult of Games Member

That is if you want to play with “official” miniatures new from the box.  Of course many will play that way, but I suspect for many, they may get the faction starter for a faction they already have an army of. For myself, as it lands on my birthday I am considering a purchase, but I won’t be worried about going all out from day one.  I’m quite happy to consider building up a faction using second hand and proxy models from other companies etc.

The one thing I am waiting for is some more information on gameplay.  Rumours are that there is an element of Shadespire-esque deckbuilding in there, which to be frank puts me off.  I like mini skirmish games but I hate deck-building mechanics in a game – just something that doesn’t interest me and I find destroys my immersion in the game. So if it is a big part of the game I’ll pass.

maledrakh
    Participant
    11996xp

I would not knock it on the basis of “expensive for new players”. I don’t think new players are the main focus group here, really. The start sets are a good starting point, but with this level of customization you need an existing collection.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wonder what the max model count is for an actual game.
    I hope it’s less than 40k (or Necromunda)

Don’t forget that those expansions also include bits of terrain too.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

My issue with this is that the size of a Kill Team is small, but the cost to build a varied Kill Team is high because you have to buy models you don’t really want/need. It makes the base game and box expansions look like bait.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Who says we have to buy all the models ?

It all depends on what the rules in the core box are like.

nogbadthebad
    5771xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger since when have war-gamers ever said “we don’t have to buy all the models” that’s just heresy!!!

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Surely the whole point of KT is to have small varied squads, not a small squad of all the same guy is slightly different pose?

This should be an easy buy in for newbies, but instead is a ‘appears cheap’ game with a lot of hidden costs.

Bait & Switch.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@nogbadthebad : yeah … burn the heretic … oh wait, that’s me 😉

I know I’d be buying ‘everything’ eventually.
    It’s probably why I haven’t bought into Necromunda yet … and while I liked the idea of Shadespire I’m not into the Sigmarine inspired fantasy setting it is based on.

//

@tankkommander : don’t be so negative.
    Tabletop games are as cheap or as expensive as you want them to be.
    Not everyone is as obsessed with having a perfect accurate representation of each squaddie.
    And if they pattern the units similar to the ones for Shadespire then there will be as much variation as the standard 5-man squads allow for within 40k itself.

Let’s not forget that GW is a business and team of hobbyists wanting to make the best game in the world.
    As such there always will be something that makes you want to buy more than the core game in a series.
    We’d have to wait for the details of the expansions to see if they’re pulling the same stunt as they did with Shadespire (which does suck for the non-completionist).
    Never mind that with the help of the internet there’s always ways around such ‘features’.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  limburger.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

@limburger As far as I can see the box set includes no variety of figures. You get 5 of the same type of unit, no variety. Given the nature of the game is a small squad where the interaction of the different units types IS the game this just seems odd and deliberately designed to puch future purchases.

I have no problem buying more figures to flesh out a Kill Team, but there is no easy way to do that with GW without buying lots of surplus figures.

So as a route back in to the 40k universe for a new player who doesn’t have an existing collection this makes it less and less appealing.

Hunting for figures in the 2nd hand market might off-set that but it is far from ideal.

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

I looked into it what those prices are in Euros. So starter set price based on that is going to be 90,38€ while price of expansions is going to be 42,45€.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)