Skip to toolbar

Looking for hooded or short haired male rangers

Home Forums Fantasy Tabletop Game Discussions Looking for hooded or short haired male rangers

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  darctos 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

darctos
    Participant
    176xp

I was hoping to pick your brains for some cool miniature suggestions. I’m looking for some cool male ranger miniatures in 28-32mm scale. But I would like some cool hoods or short hair, instead of the rangers with long hairs… I’m going to play rangers of shadow deep… any suggestions? I already got some cool female models from reaper, female models are for some reason easier to find 🙂

somegeezer
    18339xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some of the North Star metal RSOD minis are hooded. Another option is the Frostgrave soldiers box. There are plenty of options there including at least one hood. If you don’t want the full box there’s always picking up a sprue or two from Well Known Auction Site

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

do the weapons matter, in Rangers they can be armed with a whole variety of weapons?

darctos
    Participant
    176xp

No weapons don’t really matter. I could always swap some things around 🙂

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yup a second recommendation for the NorthStar metal minis for RoSD, they are really nice casts (no flash) and do the job wonderfully. There’s also some “characters/companions” that you can use for a Ranger mini as well.

https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=280&page=1

Plus by buying from NorthStar you help support the game (and Joe), so that it’s more likely that future expansion will continue to be released. You might want to take a look at the Frostgrave range as well, there’s some “Captains” that would make pretty good Rangers as well 🙂

PS. If you are in the US, there’s a retailer available (Brigade and/or Badger Games) to keep the cost of P&P down

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  phaidknott.

frankdrebin
    Participant
    285xp

If you want to personalise them or if you prefer plastic, I’d support the recommendation of Frostgrave plastic kits. They have plenty of ranger types included and lots of head variants.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

GW do a Rangers of Middle Earth box with an RRP of £26, but you can get it a bit cheaper if you shop around (maybe 20% off). I got myself a box for Rangers of Shadowdeep.

24 Miniatures (12 different iirc). Contain 8 Bows, 8 Spears and 8 Sword.

All are hooded, or short haired, so fit the criteria… many are even covid friendly with masks 🙂

By GW standards… 24 minis for that price is a bargain.

Edit: Should mention that the plastics are single, or two parts only and not poseable.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  pagan8th.

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Only thing is you need about 3-4 “Rangers” for the game (some of the companion Rangers aren’t your typical hooded bloke with a bow, you get Wizbangs too in your party for example). £24 will get you four blisters of the metals (or 8 figures), OR you could get a box of the Frostgrave Soldiers (£20 for 20) that will let you knock up some more varied looking minis for the game.

But it’s up to the punter I guess, if you already have a load of LotR minis then it makes sense to get the Rangers of the Middle Earth ox (and the Orcs do fine as proxies for the Gnolls in the campaign books).

But I’m biased towards metal minis (I just think the posing is FAR better than your usual multipart plastics) 🙂

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

The Oathmark ones for Rangers of Shadow Deep may be your best bet.  However there are also Robin Hood and his Merry men available from Footsore miniatures, although they’re all archers.  I love the Footsore miniatures but I will say that they generally lean towards the small side in terms of scale.  It’s not too bad once you base them as the base can be a bit of a leveller in that regard but they’re generally a couple of mil shorter, foot to top of head, than other 28mm scales.

Also consider the GW middle earth range, specifically the Dunedain of the North and the Gondor rangers.  The former are metal and you get 3 random ones per pack the latter is a plastic kit and you get something like 20, I think.  There are also numerous character miniatures in that range that may suffice

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

Also, as well as the Northstar ROSD ones, there’s another company, that seems to be linked to Northstar in some way, called Artizan Designs and they sell some rangers as well

https://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=25&cat=158&sub=223&page=1

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

I just checked the Nolzur’s D&D minis and they all seem to have long hair. Must be a prerequisite of being a ranger in D&D 🙂

darctos
    Participant
    176xp

The stereotypical ranger has long hair I’m afraid… that’s where the hoods help 🙂 I was also looking at dark sword miniatures, but they do hair coming out from under the hoods ?

I’m now checking out mierce miniatures and the Roman inspired line, nice minis and shorter hair 🙂 not quite what I’m looking for and expansive for some kit bashing…

ill take a look at north star but I remember the size being rather small. I generally have reaper, cadwallon, the old rackham, dark sword mini’s… don’t think they will fit in or am I wrong?

darctos
    Participant
    176xp

Ah yes… there quite smaller… https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/12/frostgrave-knights-review-stepping-it-up-in-felstad.html

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)