Skip to toolbar

Looking to pick a gaming mat: suggestions?

Home Forums Terrain & Scenery in Tabletop Gaming Looking to pick a gaming mat: suggestions?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ced1106 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kiranamida
    5783xp
    Cult of Games Member

Greetings CoGs.

I’m starting to look at upgrading the size of my games so I have started shopping around for a game mat to start off with as a step up from the skirmish battle boards I have been using so far. Thought I would look to the sagely experience of the community for some advice before I take the plunge.

So far I have been looking at Gamemat.eu, Deep-cut Studios and PWork Wargames as the big three I most often hear about. I’m thinking of going for one of the Gamemat.eu double sided to get more bang for the initial buck.
    The only other thought I had was to get something in cloth and then maybe hunt around for features that could go under the mat but none of the companies selling the mats seem to have these and I’m thinking it would be less flexible. Maybe something for down the line? Anyone know of anyone who actually sells these?

So, what are people’s own experiences? Any other hidden gems or companies anyone would recommend I look at first?

somegeezer
    18342xp
    Cult of Games Member

I can’t answer which is best (though from many Warren Meets Mat segments on old Weekenders they all seem good ?).

Cigar Box mats are flexible for your putting-things-under-them pleasure.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not sure what size you are looking for but for the smaller sized 2×2 and 3×3 Battle Systems is great and very affordable, I have several.

Deep Cut is hands down my favourite although since Brexit I’m not sure how easy/ expensive they are now. I know a few years ago they usually dispatch same day and take via courier around 5 days for delivery to the UK.

I have one double sided mat from Gamemat.eu and it’s my least favourite, mainly because it have a bit of a sheen on it and the details aren’t as well defined and my other mats, although it is the oldest of my mats. It also had rounded corners.

I have one mat from Pworks and while it looks good it has a Frostgrave (TM) logo printed in one corner which I don’t like, and which wasn’t shown in the picture on the site.

Hope this helps.

kiranamida
    5783xp
    Cult of Games Member

@demonsub: It does, good food for thought.

And a good question. I’m thinking of a 40 by 60 as would give me 40 by 60, 40 by 30 and 3 by 3 with some corner terrain to mark edges. That would be most of things I would look to play covered.

What material is your Deep-cut mat in if I may ask? PVC seems to the assumption?

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

What material is your Deep-cut mat in if I may ask? PVC seems to the assumption?

@kiranamida All of my mats are neoprene apart from one 25 year old GW green pvc mat.

warbossd
    4562xp
    Cult of Games Member

Personally I am a massive fan of the custom double sided mats from Deep Cut studio.https://www.deepcutstudio.com/printomat/

I love the fact that I can order the exact combination of sides I want for the games I have.

For example my last purchase was a 3×3 with tarmac on one side for Batman and a star field on the other for X-wing.

I am really short on space so the double sided mats are a great advantage.

kirshadowwalker
    Participant
    0xp

Got a gorgeous game mat from @warzone_studio. This guys works with requests and can make any game mat to your specifications. I Recommended!

Find them in insta, or by link
    https://warzonestudio.com/?tracking=kerik

ced1106
    Participant
    6207xp

+1 Battle Systems. You might be able to late pledge and pick up some of their newer mats at a lower cost, although you’ll have to wait for fulfillment. https://gamefound.com/projects/battle-systems/maladum-dungeons-of-enveron#/section/project-overview

For my generic fantasy, I’m using Loke Battlemat’s cardstock maps and Terra Tiles cardboard tiles. They’re modular, so you can arrange the maps as you wish. Or even shuffle and create a random layout. I still use them with 3D terrain. Some pics: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/102943-five-leagues-from-the-borderlands-the-vale-of-klocke/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)