Skip to toolbar

Mr Sheen vs. Pledge!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Mr Sheen vs. Pledge!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 88 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  tuffyears 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author

doctorether
    Participant
    9166xp

Pledge – put together the Enforcers for Necromunda, game of Warcry, finished some freelance game writing.

1. how well do you listen to people and do you correct mistakes?

Often. It’s part of my job as I am supervising PhD and undergraduate students.

In common parlance, some classics are “chester draws” rather than a chest of drawers, or “Nester Tables” rather than “nest of tables”, or Chimley Pots. It’s as if people can’t pronounce words and listen to others. Quite frankly annoying. Some people need to stop with the q-tip when they meet resistance.

2. the most overrated things and the greatest?

MCU – paint by numbers superhero films with no depth. Visually the effects in The Fountain are great as they are practical effects using chemical reactions filmed using macro lenses.

3. best cartoon shows?

Technoman was pretty great. As a kid’s show it was pretty bleak, and had some very morally grey plotlines that dealt with trauma and ptsd.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  doctorether.

ceppie
    Participant
    1973xp

OK, so just found out I missed an online English Second Language Instructor test. Online courses blow, BTW. It’s only 10% of my grade but my GPA will take a hit… f*ck.

Silver lining: I have more time this weekend for hobby stuff, as I had planned for a test I thought was on Monday.

I need to tune down. Shit day at work as well.

Time for tunes and paint.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’d argue that the super hero genre in general is overrated … there’s a lack of challenge and certainty that they’re going to survive anyway thanks to some form of deus ex machina.

Kind of like Cartman claiming he had every ability that allowed him to be a total *beep* in whatever story the kids were trying to tell amongst themselves in the episode ‘good times with weapons’

And exactly how many reboots do these superheroes get ?

Isn’t it time to kill spiderman, batman and superman and pick a new set of heroes instead of rebooting their origin and starting the same cycle again ?

Why did they feel the need to reboot the Spiderman cartoons ?
    The one where he is the leader of a few superheroes of his own age was fun, but for some odd reason that got replaced by one in which he is a whiny brat … (or at least that’s the Dutch voice for the character).

Southpark is one of those shows that alternates between really great episodes and really shitty ones.

//

@robert I think I saw that car (or something similar to it) when the OMG was done a few years ago.
    Time for food and then it’s time to go outside and do some tank spotting 😉

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  limburger.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@ceppie – have you ever seen any of Disney’s Nazi cartoons? He loved them…just like the British Royal family. Missing classes already!

KS – the Cello: a very wise choice, Sir.

@doctorether – you must take some pictures of your WC game…very cool terrain! 200pts.

1. undergraduates! Urrgh. Better you than me. You want to try teaching them Theology when some of them have never heard ‘Stairway to Heaven’! 5000pts for not going on a spree. I did head-butt one of them, but it was during a Fencing session and nothing to do with him being the village idiot in tutorials. Never try and push forward by locking handguards with me – I just relaxed my arm a bit, tiny twist of the hips and his sweet forehead just fell towards me…what was I supposed to do?

I just used to treat them like those I used to put through survival training. Any more than 3 minutes late and you are doing press-ups down the front. If only I still had Cpl. Clarke to beast them for me…they would never be late again.

The best thing is to treat them like an Alsation puppy. Terrorise them at first and thye will give you no shit when they grow up.

2. ALL SUPERHERO MOVIE! Except Superman III. They have lost the plot with them. The CGI is appauling and they just keep changind stuff to make it more ‘acceptable’. Grow some stones and tell some stories for a change. Another 21st century problem – it is all just fur coat and sandshoes!

3. I must have been a little bit older when you were digesting Technoman. Never heard of it, but I will have to check it out now! 200pts.

Some of my favourites where those 5 minutes cartoons just before the 1745hrs news during the week. ‘Will ‘o’ the Wisp’ featuring the magical narration of Kenneth Williams and featuring a witch called “Evil Edna” that was a TV set. Then you had ‘Rhubarb’, ‘Fred Bassett’, ‘Magic Roundabout’, ‘The Klangers’, and ‘Captain Pugwash’. All of them amazingly funny.

@limburger – you don’t have to…they is shite! Shite with nuts in too. Everything ‘Superhero’ is rubbish. They even managed to wreck ‘The Punisher’! Superhero movies seem to rely on effects and little else. Batman, in the movies, is not ‘the Dark Kinight’ of the comics I used to read and all the rest have suffered, in translation to the screen, by being subject to SJWism.

None of the characters seem to be ‘heros’ either. Anti or otherwise. In reality, how long would that dildo with the bow and arrow last? Drop Aquaman in the desert and the movie is over before your bum is cumfy in the seat.

Everything gets rebooted now…even stuff that has only been about for a few years! Modern writers are clueless. Spiderman – just set a load of massive Frogs at him! Another thing – Spiderman doesn’t seem to suffer from inertia.

South Park has just been going too long for it to be good any more. The same with The Simpsons and Family Guy. WE HAVE SEEN IT ALL.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

Massively, but definitely fashionably, late to the party guys. I was going to apologise but then I realised one should not apologise for being fashionable.

So yesterday was spent emptying a shed and putting stuff into a storage unit then picking up my daughter and dealing with that little whirlwind. It was about 8:30 before I finally managed to sit down with a beer and pizza and do some painting. By that time I decided to actually do some painting and hold off posting until this morning.

1. How well do I listen? I am our Trade Union Shop Steward at work and people tend to come to me with their problems so I like to think I am a good listener. I used to correct people all the time but then stopped doing it because actually I find it annoying. It’s also really hard to listen to people if you keep stopping them to correct them. I am good at listening, not so much at talking.

2. Most overrated things and what is the greatest. I am not sure what I consider overrated but I know what I find the greatest, and I don’t really need to think about it. It’s simply spending quality time with good friends. There is nothing in this world that compares

3. Cartoons, I can’t really remember that many of them well enough to pass judgement, so they obviously didn’t leave a lasting impression. I really like the Robotech Macross Saga and I also really like the film Titan AE. Do they count.

I haven’t had any music on, I discovered little wars TV and stuck some of those on while I was painting. But paint I did!

_20190913_224348

_20190913_224408

_20190913_224054_20190913_224026

_20190913_224426

I painted the guy on foot last week but I included the pictures because both miniatures are for the same RPG character.  I am giving everyone two miniatures this year, Foot and mounted and its been a labour of love trying to find miniatures that match. The setting is very medieval and this guy said he wanted his character to have a more dark age feel.

And now to finish on a lighter note

FB_IMG_1568316836457

FB_IMG_1568316830968

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@unclejimmy something is always lost in translation when converting between different mediums.
    The thing that I remember about the Dark Knight is the flockin’ Joker … which is kind of bad unless the ‘dark knight’ is referring to the Joker

And speaking of the Joker (we shall not mention his part as Harlequins loverboy in suicide squad) is the movie … there is so much potential for disaster in such a cool concept

@onlyonepinman those are really cool looking miniatures.

//

I’ve got a lot of photos from the Market Garden convoy today.
    Only one tank (M3 Chaffee IIRC) , a few half-tracks, and lots of trucks and jeeps in various shades of green.
    Need food first, upload later.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

Changing my answer to question 2. Yes, superhero movies are massively overrated. Superheroes in general are massively overrated.  As characters I find them unbelievably dull and 1 dimensional. Because they have these super powers they feel completely unrelatable as characters and everything about them and their stories feels fake. Their struggles with trying to blend in with the rest of the world, the villains which are by necessity equally over powered. All of it. And yet somehow people go mental for them. I really don’t understand the superhero fan wanking that goes on, I really don’t. I prefer my heroes human and flawed.

ceppie
    Participant
    1973xp

Good Morning All!
    I’ve got some time to go through the thread with my morning coffee. Chores for part of the day then on to battle boards.

@mage that’s a winter’s worth of pledge for me! Get to it!

@unclejimmy Outstanding Infinity models! I will own a combat team of them one day. What faction are they?

@limburger I like your answer to Question 1. Misspelling due to laziness still drives me crazy.

@doctorether looking forward to some Necromunda pics!

@onlyonepinman All my PC’s have both a foot and mounted version. It takes some doing! Nice work! I found the easiest way to do things was to buy the soft Reaper Bones models, and buy a figure that could easily be pared down to fit a horse. Weapon swaps are easy i.e. swapping a sword for a lance on the mounted version.

Another option is to cut off the character at the waist, and glue the upper torso to a set of mounted legs that are similar to the foot version of the model.

These just came in to my LGS. So shiny… literally!

colorshift-chameleon-acrylic-paint-set-2

No idea what I’ll use them for, but I need them!

I was going to paint my navy gun tractors a navy blue, with chrome barrels and wheels, with a black rubber track., but a friend of mine suggested battleship grey. Now I’m on the fence. Opinions?

taurus-mk2-800x800-800x800

In need of more mellow music this morning:

On to chores.

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

F the lot of you MCU naysayers. I’d have given an arm growing up for anything as cool as the superhero films we have now along with the TV shows. Even obscure ones like Cloak & Dagger. And they are on when we like instead of having to wait a week for Doctor Who. Never forget where you came from. Can you believe Thanos is a household name?

1) “it’s cheap at half the price.” No shit sherlock. Annoys the crap out of me.

2) over-rated – Games Workshops old games designers. We spend so long moaning about their games and how they are all cheered when turning up making similar games for other companies.

Under-rated – Mantic figures. They gained a bad rep back in the day but starting with the Walking Dead they are great and just get better and better.

3) Nobody mentioned Thundercats yet? That was good. I nearly cried when I saw the state of the recent remake. I do enjoy Naruto but I’ve not seen it for ages. One Punch Man was a work of art. Truly beautiful. Spiderman and his avengers academy kind of reminded me of spidey & his amazing friends. And that’s only a good thing.

My weekend pledge. I’ve already done another layer of water effect on my Trident Realms. Then I have my models from Conquest mag to assemble.

As for the comment about Superman, Batman, Iron Man etc that’s actually a really good point. Dick Grayson did become Batman, should have had the balls to carry it on. Same with Miles Morales. No need to bring back Parker. I remember reading 4 and feeling they were very brave but then finding out later that they just brought Johnny back. Lame.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

I would agree Mantic are getting better, however they are still hit and miss. The hard plastics are good but unfortunately they still do a lot of stuff in PVC kit form and metal/plastic hybrids and these kits really do leave something to be desired. However I am not a Mantic Naysayer, I think they’re definitely going in the right direction and their games are generally really great fun. I have never had a bad game of Deadzone or Dungeon Saga!

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

@ceppie I’m really not sold on Reaper Bones. I find a lot of their miniatures to be a bit over the top/cartoon and the quality of the plastic isn’t great either. They’re alright as filler but for pcs and npcs I don’t think they pass muster. Dark Sword is usually my first stop these days.

I backed a reaper bones kickstarter a few years ago and other than the impressive volume of miniatures, the quality was variable. Each to their own but reaper simply isn’t for me. Just in the interest of balance though, you DO get what you pay for and Reaper Bones miniatures are incredibly cheap – I would not say they don’t represent value for money.  Also the larger the model the better its overall quality tends to be.

ceppie
    Participant
    1973xp

@onlyonepinman Right on all counts about Reaper Bones. I just found the plastic more malleable (easier to chop up too), and of course the figures are really cheap, as you mentioned. I’m not about to spend $30 a player on mini’s when we have ten people playing, but I’m OK with $5 – $10. Also, the players seem to think they own their mini’s, and they often walk away, despite my best efforts to reclaim them when their characters die.

The larger models are a real bargain! Most of my heavy infantry formations are made from Bones mini’s.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some of the Reaper Bones dragons are really lovely models. Trolls and Ogres are fairly good too. When you get down to human sized they get a little patchy.

I have invested a decent amount in people’s miniatures but I am OK with that. I fully intend to let the players keep these once we have finished the game as a souvenir.

FB_IMG_1568316848255FB_IMG_1568316906940

ceppie
    Participant
    1973xp

Here was the last PC I did for our upcoming Battlesystem. It’s Bones. I think the key is to get an early production one; this one still has good detail.

IMG_0561 (2)

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

@ceppie yeah, I have that model somewhere. It’s a nice model.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)