Skip to toolbar

Printing one of the Titan Forge Patreon minis with supports already done!

Home Forums 3D Printing for Tabletop Gaming Printing one of the Titan Forge Patreon minis with supports already done!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 45 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hegemongary 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

You add more resin mid print?  So the whole thing doesn’t get messed up if the resin gets sloshed around while its printing?  So its safe for cack handed morons to bump the table its sat on?  I wasn’t expecting that.  Good to know.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I wouldn’t recommend whacking the table while it’s printing, but it’ll survive it, sure. You can even mix your resin mid-print (I don’t bother as a bit of “marbling” doesn’t matter when you’re spray-priming it after printing anyway). The print bed is plunged into the tank and pressed against the FEP/screen. In between layers the print bed is raised (to allow fresh resin to flow under it) then pressed down again. I usually wait until it’s just gone down, then I know I’ve got about ten seconds of swishing about that won’t affect anything.

You can even pause a print halfway through if you really like. This will raise the print out of the vat (it’s a good way of checking the progress of a print if you’re not sure if it’s worked or not). But you almost always end up with a horizontal print line where it resumes from.

Resin printing is perfect for cack-handed morons; much more forgiving than FDM!

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

@lawnor here is an image of a set up I have done to print today. It consists of 5 bases and I have keyed in the cost of my resin so you have an idea of price and the volume I will be using.

IMG_20200423_090931594

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ah cool.  I was wondering where the cost estimator was.  I’ve not gone looking for it yet.  Thanks.

guillotine
    16022xp
    Cult of Games Member

Jumping into the conversation, I got my Photon on Monday and I’ve been printing non-stop since! I have no prior 3d printing experience I’ve been surprised how good prints I’ve managed to do with just little reading online.  I’m literally taking notes when reading @blinky465’s posts, ?,  really useful info for a total newbie like myself, thank you for that.

I also joined Titan Forge Patreon, gorgeous stuff! Would you guys recommend some other Patreons or shops for models?

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

@guillotine Out of interest, where did you buy yours and how much did you pay?  I’m staring at ebay and the anycubic shop there has multiple bundles at different prices.  Some of the bundles look the same at different prices which is a little confusing.  It looks like I’ll be paying about £230 for the printer, plus more to get resin thrown in.

Blinky and Noyjatat have been a great resourse.  They;ve been very helpful answering my questions over multiple threads and twitch chats etc.  I’ve started collating all the information I’ve got from them in a project so I can document me starting and hopefully help others overcome the same lack of knowledge hurdles I’ve been dealing with.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  lawnor.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@lawnor – that’s about the price they’ve been holding at for a while now. I got a printer + resin in January for just over two hundred quid but £230 with resin on top is what they’ve been selling for recently; it’s still a pretty decent price!

@guillotine – it depends on what kind of thing you’re interested in. I’ve an eclectic mix of minis from loads of different Patreons. I started out supporting one or two – I didn’t really like the idea of treating it like a “shop” and just dropping in to buy a months’ releases, but then the creators were saying they were fine with this, so for the last few months I’ve hopped around a bit.

Artisan Guild has created some beautiful models recently (though I didn’t fancy the fish-people this month, so dropped out and picked up two different creators instead). Vae Victis creates minis in the style of Artisan Guild and Titan Forge too – nice, crisp detail, but not too fussy, so they’re always a pleasure to paint.

Monstrous Encounters is always really good value for money. Sarks Foundry did some nice werewolves this month. Raging Heroes launched this month and put out some amazing pirates. I picked up Francesco Pizzo (Ghamak’s) fantasy set this month just because it looked so weird – I’ve had a few of his sci-fi sets in the past too.

Dragons Rest have put out some lovely terrain this month and if you’re quick you’ll still get February’s as well as March + April as a sort of combined month. I’ve got another 25 or so creators I follow and rotate as each month goes by, so everyone gets a slice of my 3d printing budget, where I can!

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

The price seems fine.  I’m just never 100% comfortable buying something like this through ebay.  When it comes time to order would you mind if I sent you the link to the bundle I’m buying so you can give it a quick looks to ensure I’m not missing something important?  The bundles do seem very similar yet havedifferent prices all from the same seller.  I’ve seen one mention that it comes with a UK plug which makes me wonder if the rest don’t, or if that one comes with a 2 pin and a uk plug adapter.  I saw another say something like, “Comes without a screen!” like thats a good thing, or like their english is bad and they meant something else.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I bought mine through ebay because I felt it offered protection, compared to buying directly. I’ve seen reports of people waiting 4-5 weeks and getting no communication from AnyCubic when buying from them direct. I went the ebay route, so was buying from a UK-based supplier, paid via PayPal so in the event of anything going wrong, getting a refund would be easier than if I’d paid using a credit/debit card and dealing with the banks. As it turned out, mine arrived in four days and I couldn’t be happier!

Share what you’re looking at and I’m sure people will be happy to pitch in.

Dragging the post back on topic, the vampires from Titan Forge, to be released in a few days, look brilliant – would be a good time to have a 3d resin printer!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  blinky465.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m also liking ebay because it says the machine is already in the UK.  No international shipping.  No long delivery time.  No unexpected customs charges.

I saw a few of the pics.  I don’t play KoW yet, but I have a small undead army and any time I look at getting a new faction for a game I always look in to the undead option so everything can be combined for a KoW army, or SAGA (for exsample) age of Magic or any of the other mini agnostic games.  Undead has become my go to for versatility so I am very interested in the next pack.  How long are the files accessible for online anyway?  Can you download them after the month is over if you paid for them at the time?  I’ve never patreoned before.

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

4 x new minis today as well for passing 5000 Patreons for those that are members today hehe

noyjatat
    Participant
    16145xp

So today I got a really nice print of a mini that doesn’t come with Titan Forge supports. Had a good mooch around the internet absorbing videos, blogs and posts for info.

I have now made the switch to Prusa as I do find it to be a better slicer for me. I still have to use Chitubox to save as a .photon file though but that’s no worries.

So tomorrow I will try another print and see if today’s was just a fluke. Here’s today’s Dwarf from the Titan Forge welcome pack.

received_266434201194305received_233134037783921received_312985523001693

guillotine
    16022xp
    Cult of Games Member

@lawnor I ordered mine from AnyCubic straight, same price as it is now $279 with 1 litre of resin. It was shipped from Germany (I live in Finland), and took about two weeks.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

That might work out a little cheaper, but who knows what customs may do with one.  Still, good to know they can be shipped from within the EU.    $279 is £226 so thats around £25 saving vs ebay, unless theres postage on top.  I suspect that when I cave and buy I’ll want it right away, not 2ish weeks later with potential new shipping issues arrising.   The big KS I’ve been waiting for is about 6 weeks delayed since it cleared customs and theres no sign of it moving yet.  Thats a PITA and I’d dread my next big toy to run in to similar issues.

lawnor
    25920xp
    Cult of Games Member

@noyjatat I love the top pic.  looks like he jumped to attack someone, missed and landed on his face and hurts too much to move just yet

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)