Skip to toolbar

Remember Pearl Harbor

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Remember Pearl Harbor

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  zorg 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Arizona Memorial

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

I just finished writing the day’s date on a report and it dawned on me the significance of this day.

I might watch Tora Tora Tora tonight.

damon
    7525xp
    Cult of Games Member

Visiting Pearl Harbour is up near the top of my bucket list

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, @templar007 and @damon – we were setting up a Darkstar game for this weekend.  Secretly I’ve had an itch lately to play some Americans.  @rasmus signed up to play, and said he’d like to try some Japanese.  So I changed my faction to either Prussians or Russians.  Seemed a touch weird to have a knock-down drag-out naval battle between Japanese and American warships this weekend.  😐

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

wing commander is a good homage to pearl harbour will get you in the darkstar mood as well @oriskany.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

I never played any Wing Commander, @zorg .  Always kind of regretted it.  I think the cat-aliens are a little silly (let’s be real, I think all aliens are a little silly).  But the movie was light, cheesy fun (except I didn’t like the sidekick character, although I liked his girlfriend).  And some of the movies people have made from movie game sequels on YouTube are fun guilty pleasures (always happy to see Mark Hamil on screen in anything but The Last Jedi).

Regarding Pearl Harbor analogs in sci fi, another candidate is the original BSG.  Not a perfect match (there’s no Baltar “insider betrayal” angle at Pearl Harbor – please ignore any conspiracy nonsense that uninformed “theorists” will try to tell you about FDR) but it is an enemy sneak attack that destroys the bulk of the navy while in the midst of peace negotiations.  So you can kind of see where they were going without trying to be too on the nose.  Remember that came out in 1978 and some of the executive higher-ups were around when Pearl Harbor happened.

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

BSG is that one of the one off films ? @oriskany

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

I was thinking the original Battlestar Galactica Series. – specifically the debut episode, Saga of a Star World, which features a surprise enemy attack in the midst of peace celebrations / negotiations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_a_Star_World

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll agree with this.  The cylons were supposed to be negotiating a peace with humanity but secretly they were planning to whipe out human-kinds ability to fight.

In WWII the Japanese were on the surface atempting to negotiate peace with America.  But secretly planning to cripple the American fleet to the point that they would draw back to the west coast and defend the mainland.  Leaving the Pacific to the Japanese to expand and gain resources that they wanted.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Don’t get me wrong, it’s an extremely loose analogy … and I can’t even say for sure it’s what they writers were going for.  I just happened to notice a little bit of a parallel.

In other news … I just “shattered the champagne bottle” on the Royal Navy’s newest battlecruiser … 😀 😀 😀

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  oriskany.

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

I did remember this on Friday and it was mentioned in the office.

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

I must of missed the attack on BSG will have to dig out a copy to watch over XMass better than some of the dross on at holiday time’s. @oriskany

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is the new ship named the hood ?

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks, @bobcockayne . 😀

Actually no, @zorg – the name HMS Hood as been “retired” – much like USS Maine or USS Arizona.

zorg
    18732xp
    Cult of Games Member

have you decided on a name for the new ship ? @oriskany

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)