Skip to toolbar

Remembering D-Day and the difficulty of being a German

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Remembering D-Day and the difficulty of being a German

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 33 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  bobcockayne 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

wittmann007
    Participant
    588xp

I’ll throw another two cents in. (Mainly to cover myself for the Bootcamp! :O )

So on top of Fallschirmjager, Royal Ulster Rifles, Army Rangers, and 1980’s 82nd Airborne impressions,  I also portray the Norwegian Conscripts/Volunteers with the 11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division “Nordland”.

Now (as a disclaimer) like any sane person I deplore Nazism. My Grandfather was at the Beach 75 years ago today trying to stop it. However, I feel that these types of representation are acceptable if the people portraying them are:

A) Sane
    B) Well informed
    C) Portraying it within context
    D) Objective

I also use my own spin, that being using it to teach people about how evil Nazism is by showing them what it made people do/forced them into. I could go on with examples of the foreign legions etc, but hopefully you guys catch my drift.

(And now I wait for the ban hammer :P)

PS: Stay tuned to the Boot-camp blog for some cool sh*t. 😉

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  wittmann007.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@wittmann007 I 100% understand your point, and it’s a fair one. Educating people is the best way to fight things like Nazism, and it is important to show it as such. Personally, I would not be comfortable enough doing it to partake myself. I had enough problems portraying a U.S. soldier in the Anglo American War of 1812, and I was paid to do that. Knowledge is the key to you point, the way I see it, and that is how it should be. As an aside, if anyone is visiting Norway I would highly recommend going to one of the branches of their military museums as they have a lot of information on Norway during the war. Very good museums. (I’m a bit of a fan of Norway so I make no apologies for recommending it. 😛 )

wittmann007
    Participant
    588xp

@crazyredcoat – We actually have friends in Norway that do Norwegians on both sides of WW2. We got invited last year, but had to bail due to time constraints. Definitely need to make a trip to Scandinavia at some point!

andre77
    13013xp
    Cult of Games Member

Almost forgot this from the Hamburger Tactica 2014:

Sword Beach Diorama:

https://www.hamburger-tactica.de/index.php/nggallery/slideshow?p=2998

bobcockayne
    20723xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundance yup the British  concentration camps in the BOER war for one.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)