Skip to toolbar

Room for a sci-fi arena sports Game?

Home Forums Game Developers Discussions Room for a sci-fi arena sports Game?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 71 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  razordisc-2 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
  • Author

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice looking minis, do love a good sports games with minis. Also good to see all the work going ahead to progress this before any KS might begin (so many KS schemes these days are launched without the rules even being in a workable alpha state).

Are the minis resin masters atm (or are they a 3D print)?

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

3d prints to date.
    Still have a couple needing sculpting, one in the making and then a bike plus rider. Should have the models for vanilla team wrapped up in a couple of months then onto designing the card layout.
    We want to take our time and get it right, this has been in the making for a long time!

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

I’d be interested to see a board game of Rollerball.

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

Its not rollerball but certainly has some of the feel! If you like building your own team, massive background and hopefully awesome miniatures, take a look on our FB page. Our website will be having an upgrade very soon too!

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

20190313_105251These are sample resin prints of one type of player, the Wall

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

received_317502149142625received_2601351733424782received_372401260024071received_2434096563478434received_2308243666075726Few more sculpts for our game 🙂

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

From here, will be moving onto a Japanese team or Russian.

received_2320882294804785

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Been following the development, like to look of the mini’s so far, but I do hope the new Japanese team don’t end up too “cartoony” (I’m not a fan of that new render, with the “sumo” style look. But it could be the working pose on it (ie it’s not posed yet)).

So when is this likely to hit KS (any ideas yet), the fans want to know to start saving pennies now or not….

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

This game is a passion driven project and I can only go as fast as my normal job allows as it’s totally self funded  🙂  maybe put a few coins away each month but it’s unrealistic this summer.

As for the Japanese team, the above is the iconic sumo hybrid and in posed so I hope you like him when he’s completed! If you check the website you will see some of the 2d concept drawings for the Oni-corp team. These should give you an idea of future models.

That said, we hope if this game proves successful, a host of teams will be created with more variation.

Thank you Phaidknott for following the development, I hope we don’t let you down  🙂

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ah I thought it was going to KS.

For me the most important thing about the minis is the posing (far more than the look or detail in the model), the posing can just breath life into a mini. Alas with the Japanese preview I find the pose to be unnatural and unrealistic (which was why I assumed it was in a “T Pose” while the digital sculptor worked on putting the detail on the mini).

Probably the best way to pose a mini is to try and get someone to take a photo of you doing that pose. Then ask yourself “Why you are in that pose?”. With a Yari, you’ll probably be holding it two handed (it’s too long to be attached to the wrist like that if you need to move about with it). and almost no-one ever assumes a perfectly symmetrical pose (it’s subtle, but we can perceive it as unnatural).

I hope you don’t feel I’m being too negative (do like the work on the first team), but putting a bit of feedback there which you may (or may not) wish to consider. I really do like the “hero” pose of the last mini, it just makes you want to take him down in game as he looks so cock sure of himself 😀

….and yes I’m really following the development, hoping to see more soon 🙂

paperwarrior
    Participant
    958xp

I think utility of the miniatures is paramount.

Your riding a line here. I could almost use these designs for a cyberpunk rpg or wargame but not quite. Some are close to a fantasy use but again not quite.

Guild ball was built so that it’s miniatures could fit into most fantasy settings and be used for most fantasy games and it has carried steam forge for quite some time.

Core ball was designed with miniatures that could be used for nothing but core ball. Despite top talent, brilliant execution and PR it failed to fund.

While you won’t find many guild ball miniatures used at cross purpose today I think it was very important that early adopters had that second reason to purchase minis even if the game did not catch on.

I Wish you great success.

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

Sorry I meant he’s T posed, not fully posed yet! He will have life soon  🙂

The aim of the last model was a cocky show off! Looks like it worked  🙂

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

Really good advice!

Thank you and will talk to our sculptor for future reference as it’s a valid point!

razordisc
    Participant
    472xp

received_317502149142625received_2601351733424782

Thought you may like our bike too!

phaidknott
    7012xp
    Cult of Games Member

Do like the bike and the rider, but the relaxed pose makes it more of a painter piece for a diorama. I’m guessing the skaters grab onto the rear hand rail during the game to get an extra “boost” in speed (and the bike is known to run over the odd individual player). I’d much prefer an “action” pose with the rider grabbing the handle bars (the bikes could then be used for any game, even a sci-fi version of the Isle of Man TT boardgame if you collected them all), even though the current pose definitely has the “rule of cool” about it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)