Skip to toolbar

Runewars: Is it played in your area?

Home Forums Fantasy Tabletop Game Discussions Runewars: Is it played in your area?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 33 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  limburger 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

I’m just curious here. Is it in your area? If so is it thriving?

Or is the game slowly fading away?

beardragon14
    7474xp
    Cult of Games Member

Matie I have never seen it played or even mentioned in my neck of the woods… not really surprising .

However in depth research did indicate that my State’s capital, Brisbane did host 2 Runewars days … one on June 2017, that offically 1 person attended and one on Jan 2018 that 3 people attended….from a city of 2 million people and a State of close to 5 million I am not sure that coounts as a success….

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Ouch. *Crickets*

gumbafish
    Participant
    203xp

It is played where I live. I was at the shop last night and there were 2-3 games happening.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Whereabouts is that? Stateside?

frankelee
    Participant
    1159xp

I don’t think I’ve seen a game of it being played in the backroom at my favorite gaming store in Ohio. And I can tell it’s not that big a seller in the two gaming stores I shop at given how neither give it a prominent spot or much space. I think it had some buzz on release because of it being an ambitious fantasy rank-and-flank game, but it just wasn’t all that appealing to enough people when they actually gave it a look, so it’s fizzled.

gumbafish
    Participant
    203xp

Yeah, I am located in Durham N.C.. I think it has mostly caught on here because the store owner and a few employees are interested in the game.

janus1004
    4165xp

My perception is that the game is dying in Sweden at least, lot of retailers who are trying to sell off stuff with rebates and also people trying to sell via FB dont get their stuff sold.

thedace
    9993xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s just myself and a friend who play it at my FLGS . It’s a shame really because I like the game and would like to play it more.

To me it seemed like new releases were few and far between and people maybe lost interest because of this.

Something I noticed at the UK games expo a few weeks ago was that unit boxes were being sold off by vendors for as little as £10 each!

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

I don’t think I know anyone locally who plays it.

blipvertus
    12199xp
    Cult of Games Member

My local stoe, Gigabytes in Marietta, carried it about six months then dropped it due to lack of sales. Maybe a dozen initial players, including myself.

I haven’t played it this year at all.

A lack of factions on release, and a slow release rate combined with anticipation over SW Legion probably did it in. Most of the people that would’ve played it we’re FFG fans and they went enmasse with Legions which got announced before Runewars got any traction.

It’s a shame as I liked it.

tonysilvey
    7974xp
    Cult of Games Member

The starter box is still sat untouched on my shelf, couldn’t get anyone interested. Saw it going really cheap in places at UKGE, an indicator that it’s not shifting.

slayerofworlds
    Participant
    3449xp

Runewars is still being produced by FFG, so it must be meeting their expectations. Or it is showing enough growth for them to want to continue producing the product line, for now.

From those I have talked too, Runewars isn’t necessary that big with the Tabletop Wargame Community.    It seems to be more of a “board game” wargamer audience that plays it,  usually being played at individuals homes or board game club nights.   This being the favored environment for board gamers in general, which is why it shows up so rarely at shops.

Granted this only from the dozen or so players I have talked to, who play it.

I don’t believe its bone “done in”, yet.  Or a dead game yet.  As FFG just released a new wave of miniatures.   Once they stop releasing new product, then that would be the sign.  FFG doesn’t hesitate when it comes to axing product lines.

iceeagle85
    Participant
    4965xp

Organized Play for Runewars is discontinued and if you read this:

The Magic Endures
    Just as the runebound shards of Timmoran’s Orb of the Sky retained their magic and were used to power spells and artifacts throughout the ages, so do the armies of Runewars Miniatures Game continue to promise riveting battles for you and your friends.

it seems as the game itself might be coming to an end. I always wanted to start it an play a undead army so maybe I can get some stuff for cheap soon.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  iceeagle85.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

That is a very vague, cryptic way of phrasing it but an unfortunate announcement all the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)