Skip to toolbar

SAGA at Crisis

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  avernos 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

Seems like a good way to play out the movie The Thirteenth Warrior , Vikings vs cannibal cave dwellers . Really have  to get into SAGA  sometime soon , instead of just thinking about it . Really like the way you can build your war band from what ever range of figures takes your fancy

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@avernos :

I think it has the potential to be a good fit for non saga players who want a fantasy skirmish system, but it needs help to get there. Whether that is worth the effort depends on how desperate that particular subset of gamers is. LoTR fans probably will buy GW’s boxed sets first and use house rules to make it ‘better’ if need be.

As such it’s only a ‘wrong’ direction because that (probably) isn’t the intent of the system, so they don’t need to market it to disgruntled fans of other fantasy skirmish games. I think there may be a potential audience they might be missing as a result.

It definitely is a better fit for Saga players who want a bit of fantasy in their games without having to learn a new system. I suspect more than a few Saga players have already attempted to do this sort of thing already.

ojenserud
    431xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am a supporter of the lack of setting as well. I love the saga ruleset and an easy way to play any fantasy setting using those rules seem like a good idea and something I will definitly try.

I have a lot of Darklands miniatures for example but the rules for that game is for me at least to compex and hard to read so I hardly get to play with the gorgeous mierce miniatures. With this I can use the miniatures and the lore and get some table time with my Angelcynn and Jutes, hopefully 😉

ojenserud
    431xp
    Cult of Games Member

I also hope they will include “monster stats” for large base monsters like 100mm. I have been waiting for this one since the release of Saga 2 so really happy to get a date. Thanks for the info 🙂

ragnar08
    Participant
    925xp

As someone totally new to table top gaming (painted models but never played a game) I think this is a really interesting announcement.

My rule set of choice is/ will be SAGA (I do own the rule book). I had thought about dipping my toe in the fantasy world via LoTR. However, this announcement means I will stick with SAGA and not branch out.

I have obviously never used fantasy models and I am not entirely sure how/ which fantasy models I will use however, I suspect that it will become clear as more announcements are made. (Although, I do like the idea of sending Wargs at my Vikings!)

osbad
    4277xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looks promising.  I like saga but prefer fantasy to historical in general so will be a good chance to play something of a different style with my existing models, or oerhaps paint up something new to fit.

The models-agnostic approach is good for me but for those brought up on GW or PP’s proprietary approach I guess it it may be confusing.  So be it.  Not everything is for everyone.

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

Perhaps a reason to look at SAGA properly at last!

huscarle
    4559xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looking at the pictures in the core rule set you could see Fantasy and Medieval Japan were going to be released as Universe books sometime soon. I’m happy to see it’s about to happen.

Not only am I looking forward to getting  my neglected LotR back on the table I’d like to try a bit of Dark Age / Fantasy crossover.

ragnar08
    Participant
    925xp

There’s an interview with Alex Buchel (Creator of SAGA) on YouTube talking about Book of Battles and Book of Magic.

They start talking about Book of Magic at around 24 mins 🙂

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZGXw0lfih0  in case people haven’t seen it an interview with Alex talking about the book of battles and the upcoming fantasy book.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)