Skip to toolbar

Sitrep Podcast: Historical Gaming (and Register for Upcoming Gaming Event)!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Sitrep Podcast: Historical Gaming (and Register for Upcoming Gaming Event)!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 484 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  madman1960 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 510 total)
  • Author

rasmus
    Participant
    8879xp

Some great looking stuff here already @suetoniuspaullinus , @oriskany and @piers

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good evening, everyone.

Okay, first of all, wow.  Thank you so much everyone for giving this thread (and Sitrep in general) such a warm welcome here on OTT.  Most of all, for being so supportive of each other with so many likes and thumbs-up for each others’ work.

@suetoniuspaullinus – USMC for life, man.  Semper Fi.  😀

I love your 20mm Elhiem and Strike Back minis, but especially your Chechen War armies.  I can see where one are the rebels and one are Russian Federation.  So you “specialize” in first Chechen War (1995-6)  or Second (2000-2009) – or does it really matter?   Certainly not meant to challenge, just wondering if you’re looking at certain photos, engagements, or battles for reference.

And when it comes to “Pandora’s Box,” not only do I want to open it, I want to blow that sucker apart and let it never be closed again!

And I like that second batch of Marines.  They’re kitted out (or, should I say “geared up”) to a pretty serious degree.  These look like later on in the Iraq War, maybe during the Surges, when personal equipment was becoming less standardized and more mission-specific?

And those British you can tell instantly just from the camo pattern, without even looking at the shape of the helmets, helmet webbing, or weapons (my usual “cheat codes” for quick identification).  I barely manage to get the colors and “color balance” right on my 20mm camouflage.

@limburger – My guess would be for Skirmish Sangin or its companion game, Plausible Deniability (both from Dishdash games) – if you’re looking for a Rainbow Six kind of skirmish game.  There’s also a “hybrid RPG” element in the game that some players find appealing.

https://www.skirmishsangin.com/

Yeah, sadly Force-on-Force is a quiet space lately.  Too bad, it’s still one of the best systems I’ve seen for the asymmetrical aspect of warfare.  That term is thrown around almost as often as its misunderstood, but that system “gets it.”  There’s been talk of some kind of revival, but I’m not an expert on the “biz” side of things.

@damon – Looking forwrd to it!  As you of all people know, I’ve bneen kind of “b***z-deep* in some Arab-Israeli Wars lately. 😀

@piers – I love the scenery, terrain, and poses on your minis.  The “battle carry” on those assault carbines is epic.  And man!  How many points is that drum-fed grenade launcher worth?  (Milkor 40mm MSGL?  Total shot in the dark there) …

And the markings /logos on the civilian clothes are a great touch!  I have some DPR / LNR separatists I managed to put in “track suits” with the sterotypical white lines down the sides of pants and jackets, but that’s about it.

@rasmus – thanks very much, but I honestly don’t think my painting /tables are anywhere near @suetoniuspaullinus and @piers . 😀 😀 😀

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

@oriskany

Thankfully my games don’t use ‘points’…

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Gotcha, @piers .  Yeah, the best ones never do.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Okay, so @damon and I had a pretty serious game of Avalon Hill’s The Arab-Israeli Wars on Sunday.  In short, the game recreated part of the historic battle of the Israeli 77th Armored Battalion, 7th Armored Brigade on the Golan Heights at the outset of the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

In this battle, about 40 Israeli tanks, under the command of Lt. Colonel Avidgor Kahalani, defended positions called Tel Hermonit and “Booster Ridge” along the so-called “Purple Line.”  This was the cease-fire line between Israeli-occupied Golan and Syria.  At the beginning of the Yom Kippur War, the Syrian Army hit the Israelis in the Golan very, very hard.  Many battalions and brigades were all but annihilated in place, but Kahalani’s 77th Battalion held their positions (more or less) for the better part of four agonizing days in what is recognized as one of the most desperate, white-knuckled, and epic tank battles since the end of World War II.

In all, these 40 Israeli tanks were hit by waves of Syrian armor, sometimes numbers 300+ tanks at a time, plus APCs, troop carriers, mechanized infantry, engineering vehicles, antitank missiles, Syrian air strikes, and massive artillery bombardments.  While the idea that this battle “saved the state of Israel” as you sometimes read is a touch dramatic – it definitely played a huge role in saving the Galilee from Syrian invasion and perhaps altering the course of the Yom Kippur War.

Needless to say, to recreate even part of this battle (I say “part” because our game will not recreate the entire four-day defense, only one Syrian assault of several), I wanted to do my homework and so we could do the battle justice.

First step was the map, which wasn’t easy.  Reliable maps of the area, dated to 1973 with relevant topographical and tactical details, are not easy to come by.  I was forced to cobble together from several sources, convert the map into the TAIW system, and comb Kahalani’s book for references to landmarks and terrain features.  The process took most of a day, and even then I’ll admit my map is probably an educated guess.

TAIW-S11-Revised-01

Meanwhile, the whole game is now on Sitrep Twitch Channel … all 6 hours and 43 minutes of it … if anyone wants the true “battle report.” 😀

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/382282479

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am by no means as good a painter as some of the folks that have already posted here tonight.  But I’ll go ahead and post a picture of my first set of 28mm ‘Modern Warfare’ miniatures.  These are the Spectre Miniatures ‘Black Powder Red Earth’ minis.  Based on the Comic of the same name.

2019-02-18 Templar007

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

SITREP is planning to run an RPG of ‘Modern Warfare’ using the ‘Ghost Ops Covert Operations RPG’.  The game will be using the Core Rules book of the same name and if your interested contact @grimwolfuk     He’ll be our ‘Handler’ for the sessions.2019-02-18-SITREPs futureRPG-broadcast

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s a pretty awesome T-shirt and coffee mug you have there, @templar007 !  😀 😀 😀

https://www.zazzle.com/s/sitrep+podcast

I’m wearing the OD version of that shirt in the Arab-Israeli Wars Twitch wargame stream I linked before.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/382282479

And that’s a great episode of the Sitrep you have kickin’ in the background.  It was great to have everyone together on one podcast again, and of course our special guest (I wonder if she’s recovered yet …)  😀 😀 😀

And finally, great call-out to @grimwolfuk ‘s GhostOps RPG campiagn.  He made a trailer for the game on our Sitrep Youtube Channel, I’ll link it here:

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

Here are some of the rules systems that have been talked about on SITREP for ‘Modern Warfare’ tabletop gaming.

They are Force on Force, Black OPS, and Ghost Ops RPG.  The other system that has been talked about is Skirmish Sangin.  My copy is still in the mail somewhere but should arrive in due time.

I also have Danger Close which is just two pages of rules.  I secured my PDF copy from the publisher’s website and downloaded it for only around $2.04 USD.  I’ll take them down to the local copy store and have them laminated.2019-02-18-RulesSystems-ModernTabletopDangerClose

If you know of any others please post.  I’m always interested in new rules or old ones that I may have missed.

stvitusdancern
    Participant
    1918xp

@limburger Spectre Operations is a good one, but wait for 2nd edition to release. Another great choice is Skirmish Sangin and there supplement Plausible Deniability. It has a lot of the scenarios that you are looking for.

@piers and @suetoniuspaullinus you guys are killing it! You are putting me to shame. We have to get you to do some Present Arms! live streaming for painting and hobbying.!

grimwolfuk
    Participant
    10506xp

This is totally the right place to ask about that, to do a GRW / Rainbow 6 style game you’re looking at Spectre Operations. A new edition of the rules is coming soon but that would be my go-to system.  You could also look at Skirmish Sangin and the Plausible Deniability book as well.

Links

https://www.spectreminiatures.com/

Skirmish Sangin

Plausible Deniability

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  grimwolfuk.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30469xp

Great thread and beautiful paint work!

@oriskany @stvitusdancern @grimwolfuk

I wanted to chuck an idea your way. Do you think moderns should have a category of it’s own at the top level? Currently it sits under Historical but perhaps it’s at the point where it can sit in it’s own top level category? (I need to check but I think projects and games can already be assigned to a moderns genre – this is different from a category which is more linked to news and posts etc)

We can also spin up an entire dedicated forum to moderns. A couple of points to consider on that though…

1) We’ll have to give it a good push to get folk to subscribe to the forum so there will be a bit of build up

2) It frees up the moderns sub community to fire up fresh topics that would reach out to its subscribers etc

So there is a bit of short term work hooking people in but should be long term benefits in the flexibility of it.

Let me know if you think it might work?

grimwolfuk
    Participant
    10506xp

@warzan I don’t just want to speak for both @oriskany @stvitusdancern but I think that would be great as I see historical gaming more pre WW2 (inc. that setting) and the stuff we cover on the SITREP as post WW2.

As for the projects I could find one when I created my little bird project the closest I could use was historical.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30469xp

@grimwolfuk if its the way forward, we’ll get moderns added as an option for projects etc too 🙂

The top level categories are important as when time allows each almost becomes a home page of its own featuring its own relevant content, projects and games etc

So it’s not a decision to be taken lightly, but moderns was in the original platform launched in 2010 if i remember (primarily because it was something I was desperate to play lol being a rainbow 6 fan) but it was considered a little ahead of the curve of the industry so ended up moving back into historical (which really became a loose term for ‘factual’)

grimwolfuk
    Participant
    10506xp

ARMA 3 Game (For SITREP Clan) if people fancy doing some PC gaming.

The server will go live March 1st and first official Twitch stream March 5th.

51645996_379012422931090_197469840217210880_n

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 510 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)