Skip to toolbar

Sitrep Podcast: Historical Gaming (and Register for Upcoming Gaming Event)!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Sitrep Podcast: Historical Gaming (and Register for Upcoming Gaming Event)!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 484 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  madman1960 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 510 total)
  • Author

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

@gladesrunner  I too hope ‘G’ gets that round table discussion for Adepticon with the leaders in Modern War Gaming Miniatures.  That would be quite a scoop for the listeners of SITREP and any who follow Modern Tabletop War Gaming.

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

I used to Wargame with Ty (Fistful of ToWs author), he was trying to go for a quick play set of rules yet bring in all the depth of the technology and equipment. That’s why there’s army lists for just about everything and the reason why the rulebook is so thick.

You do need a lot of dice, but that’s Ty’s preference for chucking buckets of dice around (he maintains it’s all good fun compared to doing lots of calculations instead). We used to play in 6mm, but Ty was getting tempted by 15mm (but this was a good 15 years ago before all the Team Yankee stuff came out).

He still maintains his site at http://texaswargamer.com/

But most of the rule discussions he does in the Yahoo group 🙂

grimwolfuk
    Participant
    10506xp

A little something for the Ghost Ops Game – Players Organisation – Game Year 2024

OSSC-LOGO

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  grimwolfuk.

suetoniuspaullinus
    12198xp

The prospect of a Moderns boot camp and the mentioning of PMCs in the morning made me open another Spectre Ember Team blister..

DF72DCE3-E53F-4F03-AB17-742B979ECF06

grimwolfuk
    Participant
    10506xp

@suetoniuspaullinu This is what I would be bringing to the party 🙂 not as good as yours but still I’m happy with them especially the Humvee

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  grimwolfuk.

suetoniuspaullinus
    12198xp

Nice work bro ??

grimwolfuk
    Participant
    10506xp

I’m really happy with the Humvee especially the airbrush camo

bloodstrike
    1414xp
    Cult of Games Member

everything looks amazing so far in this thread, really going to need to invest in some modern infantry in 28mm. I managed to actually finish my leopard 2A5 turned out a little darker than I planned for a 3d print it doesnt look to bad. Still need to update the project thread with everything here is the completed tank though. 57 hours to print and a weekend to paint including letting everything dry in between layers.

20190224_173458

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ooops, forgot to add my impressions from my Fistful of Tows games….

In “some” ways it reminds me of the old Warhamer space marine epic games (although perhaps it was because of the use of the D6, I’m going back 15 years here), and after a few small games you’ll soon get the hang of the system. There’s no “kooky” rules here, it’s a good, solid ruleset (YGIG), but I would say it comes into it’s own with LARGE games. One model represents a platoon of tanks, and the ground scale means you’ll be using some artillery on table.

The rules actually can be used for anything WW1 to date (so you can happily play WW2 with this ruleset), but the major asset of this publication is the painstaking collection of ToEs for just about any army for any period (there’s about 400 pages of these). I think that’s the scary thing about the rules when you see them, it’s a VERY thick tome. But the rules (including all the advanced rules for things like chemical warfare and tactical nukes that you’ll probably not be using) come to about 100 pages. Friends who have bought this book here in the UK think it’s worth a purchase just for all the ToEs 😀

I do remember having good fun with the game (although I was playing with the author), and we used it for many a club game (so it handles multiple players quite easily). We played using 6mm, which I would say in hindsight that these rules were designed around, but you could play in 15mm with Team Yankee miniatures (but I wouldn’t try any larger scale). We manly played WW3 style games, so I’ve no experience of using them to play periods like Vietnam. I’ve played a couple of WW2 games with them (a bit simpler as you don’t have as many extra rules for things like SAMs to worry about).

BTW here’s another video review (goes into a bit more detail)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  phaidknott.

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

‘A Fistfull of TOWs 3’ looks like it could possibly be used for the ‘Ops Center’s’ current  Armor combat encounters.  I’ll have to download the ‘FFT3-Introductory-Rules-Modern’ pdf and have a quick read through.

The price is up there, but not completely out of range when you compare it to a major gaming company’s pricing of their main rulebook.

I might have to dig around for some more reviews on this one.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s been a crazy weekend, folks.  Apologies, let me catch up with some replies. 😀

@suetoniuspaullinus – Those French / Foreign Legion / pro-government local troops sound awesome, especially if they’re as great as the ones you’ve already shown.  Of course so much of the battle was fought at ranges that would never fit on a 28mm table (sieges don’t often make the best wargames), unless you recreated the Viet Minh overrunning one of the French strongpoints.  THAT would be epic.

And I great work on the Russian from 2nd Chechen War.  Is he a dismounted vehicle crewman?  I ask because of the headgear.  Could be wrong.

@limburger – Red Dawn in a Moderns Setting.  My first impulse was Force on Force (I guess it always us when it comes to Moderns), because of the regular vs, irregular dynamic at play in those firefights.  But others have made better suggestions, Force on Force usually has larger battles than are feature din that movie (there were never more than eight “Wolverines” plus the Air Force Lt. Colonel played by Powers Booth).  So squad level tops.  Also, the Wolverines always had surprise.  The one time they didn’t they immediately starting losing people … fast.

So the other folks’ suggestions would be better. 😀

@hobbyhub – in a past episode of the SitRep Podcast we talked about playing Team Yankee in 6mm, but leaving all measurements, ranges, movements, etc. unchanged.   It greatly alleviates the “fender to fender” dynamic you mention.  Also, at 6mm, the same size table encompasses a battlefield  x6.25 times bigger in surface area than at 15mm.  This helps soften the “compressed battlefields” we often see.

@davebpg – I  need to get some 15mm HMMVWs so hard.  I’m cleaning out / giving away a lot of my “lead mountain” to clear the hobby table so to speak, I still want to build a 1991 USMC Desert Storm force and 1991 Iraqi force in Team Yankee one of these days.  I’ll need HMMVWs aplenty for that.

@piers – I love those helicopters for Vietnam.  I was having a helluva time finding any for the Tet Offensive series a while back.  I had to settle for Revell 1:72 scale models.  They looked good enough, but are very fragile for gaming miniatures and had way too many parts (especially for gaming minis, you need more than one).

SitRep_Oriskany_11

@phaidknott – I’ve got a .pdf copy of Fistful of TOWs, although I haven’t gotten to play it yet.  I’ll admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw how large the file was.  But yes, a huge chunk of the book is unit listings, etc.  Probably one reason I haven’t tried it yet is when playing platoon-based games, Panzer Leader updates like Tactical Combat Middle East or GDW Assault has usually scratched that itch in the past.

How would you compare FFOT with other 6mm platoon-based mini games like, say … GHQ Micro Armor?  I imagine it is more detailed?

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

@grimwolfuk – great work on the HMMVW . 😀

@bloodstrike – that Leopard is positively badass , especially since you 3D printed that.  I could see people playing big money for that mini, and even then having to spend time cleaning and assembling pieces.

@phaidknott – okay, I see more of your “first impression” text now of FFOT, and thanks for the video link.

@templar007 – “A Fistful of TOWs 3’ looks like it could possibly be used for the ‘Ops Center’s’ current armor combat encounters.” – A great idea, but sadly my 6mm mini collection wouldn’t nearly be up to the challenge.  😀

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hi all

I would say FFoT is a natural progression from the old GDW Combined Arms rules. The complexity is similar to these and Modern Spearhead  so just below Challenger 2000 in that respect . In think the latest version of the Command Decision ( Test of Battle) has a modern supplement either out or being released soon

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

yikes … and I thought the Battlegroup books were boring (at first … I own a few copies now).

FFoT is definitely not casual gamer/beginner friendly with its pure black&white text approach.
    Although extra art probably would have doubled the amount of pages needed.

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well it’s a rule system where buying the PDF might be a false economy (too large to use on a tablet). One of the reviews did say Ty has the Excel Spreadsheets available for download (that way you can cut and paste the data into a summary sheet for the game your playing). I think because the rules try to cover everything, there’s too much data for many. But during a game you’ll only be using a few line items at a time.

Heh, the black and white is definitely “old school”, reminds me of the old GDW formatting without the black and white artwork. But take a look at the free version (it’s a bit more bite size) to see if you want to go the whole hog 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 510 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)