Skip to toolbar

So I am Backing the Fireforge KS but it isn't funded yet.

Home Forums Fantasy Tabletop Game Discussions So I am Backing the Fireforge KS but it isn't funded yet.

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  bvandewalker 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

Actually, when  I first looked at most of the sets (costs, bits, and sculpting quality), it felt like they where trying to make figures for frostgrave with a Game of Thorns theme (not a real fan of that franchise) and that the rules where more of an after thought.

Then they added the Peasant Rabble box (which is new and different guys) and apparently they plan on making that usable both for rioting peasants and normal towns folk going about their daily live, they had me  sold on the KS at rioters. I think it is actually worth it to the history gamer to back this KS simply to reenact all the medieval village sackings and finally add peasant conscripts that actually look and are armed like peasants instead of viking bondai with different helmets or men at arms in tunics. The fantasy stuff is just a nice bonus.

Edit: LOL epic spelling fail on my part sorrey guys, meant “Game of Thrones” but I guess it does prove how much I care about that franchise, more of a Tolkien-C.S. Lewis inklings fan as far as fantasy book books go (not counting all the manga and web comics I read).

Also I agree about the fantasy races being a bit stale but that is a problem of the genera as a whole, quite frankly I would like to see someone do huldra folk (in any format). For what its worth I think the orcs and dwarfs Fireforge are proposing do have some merit since they are adding a female element to those sets,  I think if they had done that for the northmen infantry sets they could have got more backers early on and might be funded by now. Also the orcs are not old school Judge Dredd escapees like ones mantic and GW offer,  which is always a plus in my book.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  bvandewalker.

subedai
    Participant
    2714xp

I am still debating whether to go in for some boxes of undead or not to potentially add to an existing army, most likely just the dead peasants.

I am not in the market for a new rules system (got all I need for Warhammer Fantasy Battles and waiting for Oathmark).

The factions are too much on the medieval side to blend in with any projects I have. The humans are a bit bland in their uniformity although very nicely sculpted with interesting elements like nocked arrows. If they were Warhammer Bretonnian styled that would have been much more interesting. Didn’t they already produce some Pegasus riders?

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

Yeah, they did, even did some proper fantasy knight on regular horse. I think current men at arms set is already very Bretonnian and the guys they are Kickstarting seemed like they would work more for Bretonnian than the other Oldhammer human factions, but they did say they had plans for handgunners (though given the outfits I think it would be wise to go the Warcraft Alliance route and give that job to the Dwarfs).

yoshi
    Participant
    3196xp

I like the  minis a lot and think this Kickstarter wish them success, the funding goal is a bit steep though.

Apart from that I dont do Kickstarters and these minis wouldnt fit into anything I play or do hobbywise anyway.

The whole project is a bit muted and understated in its design, but thats quite ok and inherent part of what they actually sell.

You´ll find fancy characters in 28mm on every corner but generic 28mm Infantry in plastic of this quality ? Boy there is not much that compares.

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

Go ahead and back subdei, from what I can understand at this point they are planing on making the undead regardless how the KS turns out. Same goes for the Northmen human infantry/cavalry sets.

yoshi if you like the look of them and are a painter or a D&D player than you could back them for City guard for a Diorama project or D&D game. That said what do you feel is wrong with the oathmark/frostgrave infantry sets quality wise? I ask because that would fantasy mini alternative to these (another way to get good fantasy troops is to use historical miniatures which is a whole thread topic on its own),  The only thing I can think of is the lack of cavalry which Fireforge is fixing. Now that I think about it if I had the oathmark human minis, backing the Forgotten World project for the  cavalry set alone would make sense  since the Northmen look very much like a more uniformed version  of the oathmark miniatures  with some plate-mail elements and standardized Swiss/Italian war helmets.

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

Well the KS was funded the last time I looked and is now counting down the hours. We will see what happens.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)