Skip to toolbar

Somewhere over the rainbow…

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Somewhere over the rainbow…

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 94 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  oriskany 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author

unclejimmy
    9225xp

ACHTUNG!: THE TITLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONTENT!

Ahoy there, guys and gals! Now that the sunny weather has finished for another thirty years we can get back to the serious subject of painting and playing with toy soldiers. After last weeks outbreak of acute Martyrdom I think we ought to be a bit more careful. Not in thought or word, but in deed. You know what I mean?

It is very important that you please read every word before you decide to join in. This will save us wasting time with people who think this is something other than people painting and playing games with their toy soldier collection. I want plenty of new meat in this rebirth of the “unofficial” Weekender. Everyone is welcome, but you have to be willing to take part. It might seem a bit scary if you are new to BoW/OTT, but after a couple of days in here you will be able to take on the world in single combat. Remember that in here we have to be…ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE!

When I first started this it was an accident. I just wanted to post something and didn’t have a clue. When I went back there was about ten posts…I didn’t know what to do. I do not use social media and don’t post anywhere else other than to say “thanks” to people on the Steam workshop. However, everyone was great and things got bigger and it became a ‘thing’. I met some really outstanding people. These people became friends and we have shared some good and bad stuff. Sometimes it was someone on here that raised my spirits when I was a bit down. This is what I want to have again.

It is amzing that it is still running and I am very grateful for everyone that took command when I was absent, but it seems to lack something. I am quite willing to put my time into this, but only if everyone wants that too.

First of all comes the “pledge”. No, not the polish or the film, but what you intend to be showing us over the next few days. It can be anything gaming related. Big or small it really doesn’t matter.  You don’t even have to finish it. I like to think that “happiness is the road” and that you are here for some fun. How easy is that? You do need to post a few pictures of your hard work as I have been folled before.

Don’t worry, nobody here will make any negative comments about your level of painting/modelling. If you are looking for tips then this is the right place. I am rubbish at painting ‘skin’, but being very old means I can make fire. It is all a balance.Don’t expect to get away without a few jokes or sarcastic remarks (from me), but these are totally harmless and you are more than welcome to shoot back.

No Pledge = No Play! Exceptions can be made if you are extra busy and just have time for a flying visit or if you are a regular and move at the speed of old people climbing stairs.

There are also questions. What? Well, the idea is that it gets the conversation going. It seems to work pretty well and it saves me setting up the chair and getting a bucket of hot sand! You don’t have to answer if it makes you feel uncomfortable, but it really is painless and good fun. It takes me a while to think of them so it is appreciated. Just think of this as a virtual club house and when you first arrive nobody knows who you are, but after a couple of hours you have already been invited to three other games.

1. “All men have secrets and here is mine, so let it be known…” droned Morrissey. It is true (you are all sweating now), but what I want to know are the songs that you secretly listen to, but would skip if someone was in a car with you. Those things hidden away at the back of the collection. Confess. Everyone has at least three…

2. Nobody knows how to give a good come-back anymore. Do you? I want your favourite and the where/when/why. As an alternative what about the worst think you have every called someone and meant it? It is easy to offend someone today, but if you do it with wit and taste they just don’t get it.

3. Do you ever get funny looks when you tell people you play with toy soldiers? Tell us a story about it. Why keep hobbying?

4. When you have sent love letters, or little notes of affection you didn’t sign, what did you say? What lyrics did you borrow? Did they go down well or were you arrested for stalking?

Make this a conversation. No text answering or using the word “basically”. It might not be something you are used it, but once you get the hang of it you will find it is really awesome. You will also find that you pick stuff up that you had never even considered before. When I was 7-9 there was nothing better than listening to my grandfather and his cronies passing the time of day. It is what we would be doing if we were sitting around a table together.

There are few rules here. Glaswegian pub law is in effect: NO POLITICS & NO RELIGION. However, if it better illustrates a point you are trying to make then it is fine, but don’t take the piss and don’t turn nothing into something…or you might get the ‘malkie’. Bloody boring subjects if you ask me. I mean, who would ever study such nonsense.

It is expected that your hard work is accompanied by only the finest music. Play at 11. No headphones. No wuss rock either…i’ll know. Write us a playlist if you dare. We are allowed to make fun of your choices here – just so you know. Discovering new music is wonderful and I have found some gems here. Add yours. That is the point of this. Show-off, tell a tale of woe or love, share some pictures, tell a story, and do all the things you are not encouraged to do out in the big, bad world.

There is one ‘rule’ that cannot be altered. No exceptions: NO DICKS. Firms. It is easier this way. This is not a creche or drop-in centre. I will use this as an example…

4209f6bbada1d60f8784d7fec8ce56e7
    While you are here it is expected that you behave like a gentleman, or lady. However, no trannies without permission unless you have a beard. Imagine that you are having afternoon tea with my grandparents and we will have a great time without any ‘problems’ or hostility. You would never have messed with my granny and she made the very best scones.

I plan to be sat here most of the weekend doing a few bits while there is nobody around.

With all that digested…you may begin.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  unclejimmy.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

You are getting slow…

My pledge is to get these bits finished off.

IMG_20190802_115758_HDR

There are also these…

IMG_20190802_115739_HDR

Refuse skips from the amazing TTCombat. I added two little magnets to the bottom so that when I place them down the more powerful magnet under the table holds them in place. The buildings have larger magnets. The worst thing is knocking bits of terrain about while you are playing. Problem solved. However, a little effort is required when putting them away. We decided to do this after a game of Infinity was invaded by a cat. The magnets are really cheap. Ebay rules.

One will be reasonably empty so that minis can get inside – just for visual effect. The other will be full of junk.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Well, it is just me this weekend! Nil desperandum.

I just want to point out that drying time sucks.

IMG_20190802_121443_HDR

These are next.

IMG_20190802_132003_HDR

We might need another coat? I’m going to try it with an airbrush next…

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Time for a brew while that hairspray is drying. How about a picture of your @unclejimmy‘s massive hose? Oh, you would…

elpotof
    Participant
    667xp

Hi Jimmy,

I’d love to play this week, but I’m on hold in London doing all the tourie things! Good to see you back doing you’re thing! Im on the tube currently wrestling with 2 pre-teens and stressed wifie, so will answer the questions in a bitty! The only gaming open to me is King of Tokyo, which I have utterly failed to win this week; the shame of being beaten by my 11yr old. Hold the line, I’ll be back!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  elpotof. Reason: Spelling

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Eve’s delivery is a bit like a Synagog roof…overdue! However, I have been busy.

IMG_20190802_140105_HDR

My massive hose! I know what you are thinking and if told you then you would think I meant centimeters.

IMG_20190802_132228_HDR

Heather also reminded me that all of the spare bits in these boxes will have to go to a new home or into the recycling. I will sort through and see what might be of interest.

elpotof
    Participant
    667xp

It’d be a shame to throw that stuff out. Send me a list and I’ll get you a swap list if any good to you – might be Tuesday before I can get this sent to you though…

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@elpotof – and it is very nice to see you. Busy day is a good excuse, but I shall be here all weekend. So, you are having a great time. I don’t like the tube anytime! I just think about that bit from ‘An American Werewolf in London’.

Jamie beat me on his first game. Aged 10 and I am almost ashamed to say it was Tau Vs. Black Templars. I was the BT’s. Terminators failed to arrive for 2 turns and his Stealth Suits shredded a Rhino full of Brothers! Heather says, “You let him win?” I exploded with a massive, “Did I fu**!” Children rule.

The little bastard still beats me at Infinity on a regular basis now that he is 22. I get the last laugh now that the male pattern baldness is kicking in…

I have no idea what ‘King of Tokyo’ is, but I would love to see it in action if you get the time. If you want to scare the children i’ll send you a picture of myself. They’ll be silent until next xmas.

Nice to meet you. You are FIRST! 50pts.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

My plan for the bits is to stick them on some white paper. All the 40Gay on one side and any WFB on the other. Most of it will be older bits as i’ve not been into a Wacoshop for at least 8 years. You get first dibs…

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Before my well-earned break I will leave you with a few songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-WlIn300A

(a bit of prog)

Raw, but very tasty.

Play nice until I return.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

I get it…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  unclejimmy.

nogbadthebad
    5771xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hey @unclejimmy, glanced at the forum as I often do and didn’t want you to feel alone.

No pledge, with an active 4 year end old there is little point and even if the little sod is being the angel I tell myself he is it just means that chores and/or sleep take over..

that said I do have a box of bones that would like some paint on them and i might use the downtime in the scheduled dnd game to stick sum Dwarves together – if I do Pics May appear (she’s the guy who hasn’t updated his project for almost 2 months!

nogbadthebad
    5771xp
    Cult of Games Member

*ses the guy – sorry autocorrect and the aforementioned child are not my friend!

unclejimmy
    9225xp

@nogbadthebad – (not as good as noginthenog!) Thanks, I really appreciate it. Children are awesome, but the dog can’t eat a whole one. Well, you sort of did make a pledge about some Dwarves. Sounds good to me. As you are going to be working under extreme circumstances I will allow it. Have you tried Nytol or Sominex? Kids love sleeping pills.

If you manage to find some time then please answer the questions.

This week I have been looking to have some badges, and other assorted junk, made. You can get some really odd things as merchandise.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oy!  Two Weekender threads in progress?  😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)