Skip to toolbar

[Streaming] Thoughts, ideas and plans for the future.

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [Streaming] Thoughts, ideas and plans for the future.

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

Are you using live head tracking? Can you add an offset so the avatar looks to the camera every now and again? It’s like watching a really shy poor-mans’ Maxx Headroom 😉

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s a problem with the software/webcam. I use facerig but that thing is thrown of by my glasses and my beard. I’ll try to make changes but can’t promise anything 😉 I was looking up (had extra large printouts to read) but still the software freaked out some how.

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

Get some big comedy glasses. Push them up onto your forehead.

Or do something like this 😉

index

A mask of yourself on your own forehead!

(I once worked with a lad – not the sharpest tool – who wanted an idea for a halloween mask; we convinced him to make a mask of his own face – he got the joke that we were saying he was an ugly bugger. But he surpassed even our expectations when he stumbled out of the office, temporarily blinded, having taken a photocopy of his own face.)

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

Don’t know if the idea would have any merit too you, I could try and get a game of FoW in a way that would be playable for you on screen. I don’t have full streaming capability but do have a good enough camera and internet connection to, in forum or discord, keep over head photos updated for each move and could sent images of the stat cards so all the dice rolling could be done with you guys. Could also knock up a couple of pics with range and scale guide, ie. looking like an OS map.

Don’t have much proper terrain in 15mm but I have a lot of flat stuff from Tanks terrain and game mats, so it would be a bit more like an RTS game. Should be fairly easy to identify the British and I’m still working on my German army but they shouldn’t be too hard too spot form above either.

If you like the idea I wouldn’t need too terribly long to get everything finished/ready. Would also work with 1-3 commanders per side so 1 guy has tanks for the side another infantry and 1 artillery support as well, if you could wrangle some OTTers into an hour or 2 of gaming. You would just need tell me what to move where and what needs removed from a firefight. This is also a way for me to see some gaming and learn how the units play in FoW when someone who has had a game before uses them, assuming you’d play Gerry.

Sort of like this

IMG_20200618_000842

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@m30wm1x  I like the idea and TBH 2D Terrain is much better for the top down view. At least in my opinion. But I never played FoW and it would be total chaos 😉 I’m still chewing on things and will do a writeup soon’ish (today)

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

So here is the thing: doing the news show stuff was nice and all but really doesn’t spark any enjoyment on my side. Basically it’s too much work with collecting all the news and I end up ruminating most of what is @brennons work. Even thought I subscribed to every manufacturers newsletter I could find it’s still a butt load of more work. (Btw Ben, with me trying to gather news for two weeks my respect for your work on that part is even higher than before. Much kudos to you. )

So I’m binning “The News on all things tiny fighting men” for now. What I’ll do this Saturday instead is a simple “hobby and chat”. I’ll be painting minis, ramble around and if anybody wants to call in to chat I’d set up a Skype group call. Sadly my capture card is still inbound so I’ll have to make due with the old c270 as a top down camera for now.

@grimwolfuk @laughingboy  and @m30wm1x already expressed a level of interest. But I welcome all and we don’t need to get everybody in at once.

Thanks again for every help and support you guys have given me (especially @avernos though that last movie you told me to watch… jeebus that’s an hour I’ll never get back XD)

avernos
    Keymaster
    33464xp

Suburban Sasquatch is a gem from the David Miscarriage rolls of honour!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

It was a nightmare XD Especially the makers commentary on his vision for the movie…. he did see the movie himself after the fact did he? XD

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sadly my capture card is still inbound so I’ll have to make due with the old c270 as a top down camera for now.

Scratch that, the capture device just arrived and I will test it this afternoon… Huzza!

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

At the risk of sounding like a total noob…. what’s the capture card do? Does it have onboard storage? When I shoot videos with the DSLR, I just store on the SD card and swap them out every now and again. For streaming, I use a usb cable (it’s one of those nasty “mini usb” cables that went out of fashion in the early 2000s) straight into the PC. What’s the capture card actually do?

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

The capture card (or in this case it’s a USB Stick) takes in video from a HDMI source and “pretends” to be a webcam. Since my camcorder can’t be connected as a video device to a PC (USB Connection puts it into “card reader” mode) I can now just use an HDMI cable to get video directly into my PC. Older DSLR don’t work the way yours does but they also can be made into a “webcam” with a HDMI capture card. Plus I can hook up a gaming console like the SNES mini and stream that over OBS.

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

Aha, that makes sense. I’ve still yet to try using my camera as a magnifier (and use the screen monitor to watch through) and I’m not even sure it’s a good idea, but will be interesting to try out one of these days. I know next to nothing about video streaming and recording, but it’s something I’d like to get involved with (when I get some time to play about).

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

the basics are rather simple. Even I have gotten the hang of it. But when it comes to “pro streaming” that’s where the work (and the expenses) start.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)