Skip to toolbar

The 'good-boy' zone!

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming The 'good-boy' zone!

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 160 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 168 total)
  • Author

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Did someone mention potato salad ?

I got a store bought variant called ‘Hussars’ salad”
    Legend has it that it is what the hussars (sp?) ate because they operated behind enemy lines and couldn’t afford to light fires.
    A cold prepared meal was the solution …

It’s a mix of meat, potatoes and (of course) mayonaise. There’s small pickled onions and gurkins (?) too, so you’ve got all the stuff that’s good for you and the stuff that’s going to make you fat. 😀

I have to say I never liked it as a kid. This sort of thing was the default food at weddings (I suspect it is pretty cheap to built in large quantities and you don’t need to serve it warm).

Another historical fun factoid :  it’s Independence Day !
    Or rather … it’s when (what would become) the Netherlands signed a treaty called “Plakkaat van verlatinghe”.
    The tl;dr; version of it is : We consider the King of Spain a tyrant and thus don’t want to serve him any more”
    I had to read the English translation to understand the Dutch text … LOL
    I wish this was something we celebrated but as is it’s just a date that we had to learn at school during history …

You can read it here :
    http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/before-1600/plakkaat-van-verlatinghe-1581-july-26.php

Anyway .. pledge ? Same thing as last week is building my minion army. Next up should be either the squig hoppers or the shootas/stabbas. I’ve also got to pickup a kickstarter package tomorrow. Not quite sure what it is, because it only lists a generic hub with zero info on exact content (or size and weight).

Answers :

> 1. What happened? … What happened to people over the last few years?
    @oriskany makes a good point about the internet and mobile devices. The amount of mindless zombies using their mobile phones while driving or riding a bike is staggering. Darwin awards would be plentiful if modern cars weren’t so safe.
    However I’d also add that we’re dealing with what some have referred to as the ‘rubber tile generation’.
    The ‘rubber tile’ is a reference to the squishy rubber tiles that were added to playgrounds in the 80’s to stop kids getting hurt while playing. I don’t know if this was done in other countries though.
    Some people think that because of this these kids have become way too scared of being hurt so they start whining about anything that hurts their precious feelings.

Also this intro from Idiocracy :

> 2. Tell us the high point of your week. What did you do that made you feel it was all worth it?
    *eh* getting paid ? 😉
    It’s been too hot so this week surviving the heatwave was my #1 priority 😀

> 3. I guess that, like myself, you lot have an eye for detail. You notice things that the lower orders wouldn’t notice even if pointed out. What details always catch your eye?
    I can remember the weirdest things about movies or tv-shows despite only seeing them once.
    The thing is … I don’t know I know such things until it suddenly

> 4. Is there an aspect of ‘gaming’ that you just can’t get away with? Is there something that you just won’t/can’t do?

This one is easy : powergaming, min/maxing and rules laywering …
    I play to have fun. Not to maximize my units options or moves to the point that’s it’s more like cheating.
    I don’t even calculate odds or worry about my chance to hit/kill/wound until the dice fail and my units start to die.
    As a result I’ll deploy a wimpy anti-tank rifle against a tank instead of the universal carrier …
    In my mind it was “it says anti tank … so I use it to shoot the tank”. I didn’t even consider that it might have been a bit underpowered.

brennon
    Keymaster
    30087xp

I’d just like to point out that everything in its own way is political to some degree. If it wasn’t political then it wouldn’t be interesting. Very few things can be divorced from politics with a big P and identify/cultural politics. So, by calling out that you want to avoid that in discussion is inherently doing the cutting down on the thing you want people to do, which is say what they’re thinking.

I think, personally, and everyone has their own take on things, but structuring this thread as it is without the ‘soy-boy’ stuff could have been done and wouldn’t have detracted from any discussion.

Anyway, from one soy-boy here and proud of it to many others…enjoy the thread. Just be more mindful in future and I’m sure we can all get along.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, PM me. Not going to derail a thread.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  brennon.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

I take a small lie down and return to madness. I has taken me ages to even start to get caught up…awesome! Maybe this was a really bad idea after all.

IMG_6900

IMG_6902

All done. The two roof sections can still be removed too. Sniper heaven.

@mech82 – what does the title and the rules have anything to do with one and another? When you say, “I question your logic” what you really mean is “Hey, I am a pretentious wee choob who would rather try and pretend he/she/it/AH-64 is of greater intellect than everyone else rather than just saying “hello” and join in something new.” I can dig it. Think of it like your very first pint of beer…it will wear off. 50pts.

As high-brow as one thinks one is, one missed out one important point. It clearly says NO DICKS. The title is just to let people know we are open for business. Sometimes it might be a lyric, a book title, or just some sillyness. In this case it aslso acts as a warning. How is it ‘politically charged’?

If you “have no horse in the race” then why leave answers and make the pledge? Just like when someone says, “I have nothing against black people, but…”, you know there is ‘something’ they are not saying.

You should NEVER start a sentence with ‘but’. Not even close, but I won’t mention that. Wow. All of that in just two lines. I am quite impressed. 100pts.

It might be your lucky day! I have just emptied a whole stack of boxes that were full of 40Gay parts from at least 8 years ago. There should be a few DG bits if you want them for your projects? Just le me know and i’ll have a poke about.

No pictures? Not even a sketch? Is that the only game you play…anything non-Wacoshop?

1. I don’t even mean just that. Everyone can be a bastard if you catch them at the wrong time. Even me! No, I mean things like just how people hold themselves or how the behave when things don’t go their way. Some it goes back to the delusion of political correctness. Thought control is what that really was. Soy-boys are a perfect example of how far the rot has gotten. 10pts. (the non-stroke side isn’t smiling or it would be 20pts)

2. 100pts! When you get a new album there is very little greater. Is it good? I still remember the friday afternoon I took home a freshly pressed copy of ‘Misplaced Childhood’ and played it all night. Bliss. Well, it was until my grandmother yelled that it was time for tea!

I have a couple of Sabaton’s albums. Favourite track: Panzer Battalion. Great track to listen to when I am trying to force my old arse up a steep hill. Slayer works too.

3. That is what I mean. 50pts. I am terrible when we go anywhere with large paintings or sculpture. I stare. Unless you mean damaged people! If you do then try the self-help aisle in Waterstones and look of pale women.

4. Why nothing recent? You need to add some detail.

Not a bad start. maybe you need to take “the test”? A committee will decide.

@khusrau – see, shake the tree and all the rubbish falls out! The point is missed again by the hard-of-thinking. I have no clue what Frothers or TMP might be. I am sure you would love to tell me online, but not to my face! A perfect answer to No.1.

As for the “Ayn Randian neo-Nazi right wing nut job” bit, you will have to explain that to a cave-man like me. 50pts. I do love it when stupidity pretends to be indignation. Maybe I just tickled a nerve!

I bet you think Tommy Robinson is cool too.

You didn’t pledge either. You can’t even folow the instructions. Your models must be dreadful to behold.

As is typical with people who act on feelings before they engage their brain they make silly statements like, “Shame, I really liked BoW”. What does this have to do with BoW? You have a problem with me, not BoW. Deal with that and don’t deflect things.

@jacook – Have 1000pts you very intelligent person. If my daughter wasn’t already engaged then you might have been allowed to date her! I don’t even know who you are, but thanks. You should join in.

This is not for everyone – just like me. It is like Vegemite. You like it or you don’t. Easy as that. I loved GURPS! 50pts. I book for everything.

@cpauls1 – ah, normality! Good one. 50pts. I also tend to look for good vantage positions when out and about. I wonder what these soppy excuses would do on the wrong end of a M2 .50cal? Could I get a grant to study this if I identify as something made-up?

Nice river features. 100pts. Very impressive, but is it repressive to native people? -1000000pts.

1. Most of it is just a fad. Fashionable. Have you seen these ‘Antifa’ sex-stains? They totally missed the point. 50pts. Kids have nothing better to do and it must be hard living with your parents when you are 33!

2. YES! 100pts. Do you get anything back? It makes a change.

3. Did he suffer for his crime? I would have made him a sandwich from your injury. (slurp) 30pts. I did see a picutre from some Apocalypse game where a company of Dreads was ‘represented’ by 12 cans of Coke.

4. Harpoon? That was madness. I have been tempted to try the PC version though! I know what you mean. Abstraction is different, but so many games copy the Wacoshop model. Rules = selling minis.

How far is your drive to work now?

@elessar2590 – I have never heard of her. Is it worth looking her up or is she some hatchet-faced old boot? 50pts. Nice reply by the way. Well within the rules.

I never mentioned politics at any point. Some soy-boys came in starting trouble…that sounds like the start of a good joke! Come on everyone – add your own punchline. I’ll go first. “These two soy-boys came in starting trouble…someone in the corner sneezed and they both pappered their dacks.” Boom boom.

1. I don’t care what you did with your Donga. Dirty beast. 30pts if you have some pictures. 50pts for a video.

I didn’t know you are a law student. Tell us more. My son was a law student too.

Where that was recorded, do they not have tazers or big dogs?

2. I have always dreamed about playing in one of @oriskany‘s games. He sent me a thing this week to join his group and I hope to join in at some point. How long do you have left at Uni? Which Uni is it?

3. No basically! It means nothing. However, I know what you mean about fake martial artists. I got started young…Judo at 8. It is a good job I got into Wing Chun now that I have had a few strokes. I am also a 32 year Kenjutsu practitioner.

Never done any TKD though. Lots of other things, but never that. I have a things about kicking. You never need to kick anyone above the waist. Clackers and knees are all you need to hit. I am very impressed at your black belt. 100pts. It takes some doing to get that far. Have you ever seen Ashida Kim?

I am not sure about the ‘non-contact’ bit. I have staggered home before and woke-up almost unable to stand. Great fun and I would do it all again. Are you into conditioning?

We have run a few clubs over the years and had plenty of “two-can Van Dammes” come in looking for trouble. Derek likes to play with them. Derek was a Legionnaire and pretty tough.

4. I get that. Frosty minis suck when they are supposed to be fighting in the desert! 50pts. Every tried airbrushing varnish?

Paras rule. An excellent pledge too. Pictures appear to be missing…

@doctorether – another hard of thinking plank! That was the title. Others have been “…1,2,3,4,GO!”, which is a tribute to the Ramones. I quoted words from ‘Jerusalem’ by William Blake and D.W. Dick too. They had nothing to do with what happens on this little thread. I did want to start a Nazi appreciation society, but I couldn’t get enough leather boots for everyone!

What part of this are you having trouble with?

I also mean that I don’t want SJW’s and soy-boys ruining the atmosphere with their constant whining about their feelings and pronouns. You are here to talk mince and play with toy soldiers. That is all. However, I did notice you want to play! Is that just to see how many more times I can trigger you and then you can play the victim? Pleased to be of service.

Of course gamers “of a certain type” are not welcome. I am a very inclusive serpent when it comes to sharing my venom. 100pts. It says clearly who isn’t welcome: NO DICKS! It is even in bold.

In here you have to prove yourself. I want to get to know those in here. Consider it reality training. 200pts. Unless you mean black/brown/foreign people?

I also don’t need to read some low IQ cuckholding conditioning from the Independent. Rather ironic name too.

Do you realise how boring wargames would be without the Nazis? Think about it.

1. You are right about it being a stage! 100pts. Did you use the name Herbert Pocket during your case? 100pts.

Are you starting to get the ‘vibe’. Just imagine you are off to defuse a bomb and it could go off at any instant. It is called “gallows” humour. Add some sarcasm and a very high intelligence – do plenty of stirring and there you have it. Shit, I stared this just talking to myself like a mental patient on day release.

2. Wow, that is not even a sentence and I take a lot of medication! 20pts. Space Hulk…nice! Great game. 50pts. However, no pledge!

3. Then you ought to look up from your phone and take in all the heavenly glory. Are they the only details in your life? No beautiful young lady who’s smile can make you stop breathing? Art?

4. So what do you play? You have to add a bit more. It is called a conversation, of sorts, and you will like it, but you do have to work at it.

Atari Teenage Riot – tasty. Great live too. 500pts. I must play a bit tonight. I worked a few gigs with Orbital, if it is the same one I am thinking of, back when I was a student. Not really my thing, but they payed very well.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

Can we drop all the bullshit. The title was just that…grow up and get over it. Play with your toy soldiers or go somewhere else and bother them. Please.

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

@unclejimmy Look I am happy not to talk about politics since I am not what you claim me to be or what you seem to be but thing is you started whole thing very politically with that title so you have only yourself to blame for this. Of course people will take it badly when you then added whole “no politics, no religion”-rule that conflicts with what title says.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

@unclejimmy – I’m with you 100%.

I swear to God I don’t know what’s happened with this community lately.  I am so over it.

Apparently you can be proud to drink soy milk?

I had a granola bar today. What do I win?

Strange how everyone’s allowed an opinion, until it doesn’t agree with someone’s.

Back in this day this thread was just a place where grouchy old men could get together and grouse … If you didn’t like it you didn’t have to come in and pick a fight, but since now that’s just outside the realm of possibility …

You know what?

Goodbye, everyone.

Just …. goodbye.

khusrau
    Participant
    1158xp

Online tough guys hey. I’m happy to tell you to your face, its a dick move to tell everyone no politics and then put out a line that would get you a rap in the pus in a Scottish pub. I’m getting a bit past that nonsense now, but any time I hear some online warrior complain about political correctness or SJW, I’m just hearing: ‘wah wah, how come I have to be nice to women, homosexuals and different coloured people’.

jacook
    494xp
    Cult of Games Member

argument

Anonymous
    0xp

Perhaps it would be best for people to turn the computers off for a while and have a cup of tea.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well, not much of an accomplishment, but just in a small, sad way of trying to get this thread back on track …

This is a counter set I’ve been working up for a series of 80th Anniversary commemorative games of the 1939 Poland campaign a friend and I will be running starting in September of this year.

Many of these counters were already worked up, today at lunch I just finished off a few more (still at work).

The unit scale is platoon, the system is updated Panzer Leader.

UJWE 02_01

Next I’ll be re-drawing many early-war German counters as well.  They need a refresh anyway and besides, part of their graphics include mid-war camo patterns that wouldn’t be appropriate for a 1939 campaign.

So I think that’ll be it for me.  I just wanted to post something else … and leave this thread without a bad taste in my mouth.

If anyone’s pissed off at me, well, that’s your problem.  I’m just sticking up for a friend – and yeah, just really disappointed in the way a lot of things are going around here lately.  If no one’s pissed at me, ignore all that and have a great weekend!  😀 😀 😀

@unclejimmy, if you ever want to try that weekend web game thing or just hang out and spectate, we’re a little lean this weekend (just some Moderns on Sunday afternoon), I’ll send out the e-mail to the usual mailing list sometime tonight.

Everyone have a better one.

cpauls1
    Participant
    8957xp

@oriskany Noooooooooooooo! Ignore the snowflake and it will go away. It obviously doesn’t realize that many of the guys on here are vets or are still serving… and it’s not like we would go near any of its SJW sites.

Time for something pseudo-intellectual and potentially offensive, The Hot/Crazy Matrix:

While I’m on the subject of ‘crazy’:

@limburger Happy Independence Day!

Also, Idiocracy (the movie) rules! Thanks for posting that!

@unclejimmy that is some sweet terrain. I wish they had that at my university. Do you and Jamie ever paint the stuff, or do you ship it off to @seldon9

Finished up this mini when I got home. Well, maybe not. There’s room for an LED in the hollow base. Damn, I hate it when they do that! It’s a lot more work!

IMG_0714 (2)

Good to be home and back in the game!

mecha82
    Participant
    10037xp

I have been wanting to get into Blood Bowl with Orc Team (easy beginner team) and I already have starter box that I got with MtG card credits but I still need to paint those Orcs and play my first game. Maybe I will take part into next season of BB league in LGS that I go to really often. There is something about small game like BB that draws me in to get break from 40k and TCGs that I play.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  mecha82.

cpauls1
    Participant
    8957xp

@oriskany love the counters! They’re works of art in their own right. Can I get the electronic file when you’re done? I still have it in my head that I’m going to print off your entire Panzer Leader Opus folder and mount them all!

Pics of other mini’s coming up.

doctorether
    Participant
    9166xp

Wow, that is not even a sentence and I take a lot of medication! 20pts. Space Hulk…nice! Great game. 50pts. However, no pledge!

Ah pledge. So finish the genestealers, and then move onto priming and painting the Conquest boxed game.

Not a sentence? Basically my day job is a doctor of computational chemistry. And the group I am in currently is in the business of finding the next generation material that can be used for nuclear waste disposal. Always good fun, and a prelude to my new job as a research software engineer (since it seems that is what I do more often than not). Had enough of postdoc positions and moving around and moving countries.

Also picking up War Cry which will be good fun from the rules I have read, and about to start my next writing task for the Wrath and Glory rpg – more than likely more about that will be said after GenCon. Speaking of which finished all the prep for the GenCon pop up event which I am running the demo team for (designed a Wrath and Glory and Vampire the Masquerade scenario for it).

Hence why the contrast paints were a nice way of easing back into painting after a long break.

Back in this day this thread was just a place where grouchy old men could get together and grouse … If you didn’t like it you didn’t have to come in and pick a fight, but since now that’s just outside the realm of possibility

@oriskany I think there is being a grog and then there is just being offensive. I’m a grouchy git when it comes to students and phd students I teach. But at the same time I’m not just throwing round terms or clearly set out a stall to pick a fight. And while this may be just a thread, any one can see it, and I don’t think it presents a good impression of the community when the post title on the front page is “no soy boys”.

Anyway, other gaming is this weekend finishing off running some Wrath and Glory (got a good player mix and I am eager to see my wife’s Eldar witch kickoff at the ministorum priest – or vice versa), and maybe fit in another Blackstone Fortress scenario is just more writing (got another article for OTT that follows up on the How to Run One Shots).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  doctorether.

unclejimmy
    9225xp

I will get caught up, but tomorrow I would like none of this hee-haw. Hobby stuff, hatred, and music are the only things allowed. If anyone wants to continue stroking themselves with trendy wastes of time then go and do it somewhere else. If you haven’t realised that it is all very tongue-in-cheek then you ought to try a play group or day-release. Feel free to come back when you have sort out your life. All are welcome.

@cpauls1 – I was thinking that. Trying to get his Nat-king from some judy from the arts fac. 50pts. Feminism is great, especially when you consider it’s roots. It was also a great capital gain for the patriarch, but nobody ever mentions that.

I make some PS for myself, perhaps a guest. Not for a bloody full section…including Regimental Goat. 50pts. It sounds very nice though. The idea of getting a flight to Canada might be worth the terrible aftermath! As soon as I am fit enough I will be on my way. No joke. I can bring my own equipment and live in the woods. You would never know I was ther, but your wolf would!

Also, I only really like Barvarian mustard.

Dave has an attic full of D&D, AD&D, Paladium books, Startfeet Battles, and other junk. I keep telling him to sell it, but he can’t be bothered. That is strange…we once went down to find him ripping out a water tank with his bare hands. Before I saw him it sounded like he was killing a prostitute. Turns out you can get £300 for them and he wanted a FW Bio-Titan.

I should take a picture next time I am down there.

I also wanted to know what a donga is. I thought it night be rude. Some dirty stuff i’ll bet. They are weird down-under. True. A good friend of mine used to live over there as a child. His dad is a professor of something at Durham and has written stuff about land rights and a great book about Uluru. He even lived in some outback places with the “black fellas”*. That would have been amazing! [* that is just for our Aussie friend to laugh at] Anyway, they are really racist down there…Ayres Rock is just a huge pile of dead locals with a sheet over the top! No worries!

Isn’t feminism all about making my tea and ironing those shirts? I would put any ‘feminist’ against my grandmother. Short, but interesting fight. Any bets?

Who let my mother have a crossbow? Awesome mini. Who doesn’t love Minotaurs?

@elessar2590 – if you can’t then I can send you some! Being one of us has it’s perks. What size should the jack-boots be? A long while ago @cpauls1 suggested badges. I might have a look into that. Maybe silver lightening bolts? No, seriously about the badges. Patches too. No charge for anything, but it will have to be earned.

What is a DONGA? Remember, snowflake alert.

@doctorether – my assistant doesn’t like horses! 30pts. We have just been out now that it is cooler…

Molly after late night walkies - chasing lill

Lola is passed out so no picture. Mollie is a great assistant.

I REALLY love those Terminators. 100pts. Have you painted the ‘throne’? If Dave heard you use “thick coat of paint” he would turn proper Hulk and he doesn’t have far to go. He paints in heaps of thin glazes!

I love me!

This is Dave posing. You wouldn’t think it, but this guy paints like a angel. Those muscles are all natural too.

I was really starting to warm to you and you have to say, “Really the problem is polarisation of the discussion and the loss of the ability to talk and sit along that spectrum.” Last chance to stick to the rule. NO DICKS. When it says ‘firms’ that means you have to stick with it. It can be confusing when you enter the world of adults, but better to try the simulator first. The problem is that you/people start to believe all of this crap. You might as well quote the lyrics of Katy Perry…just as meaningless.

@oriskany – fashionably late as usual. Close to AWOL though. 20pts. I hope you have had a nice week? How is the missus? I have joined Twitch – do I have to do anything else. I had to use another name too.

You go for it, brother! What bothers you?

1. Boom…roasted! I still don’t ‘get it’ about always looking at a phone. Every three seconds too. I think they need to be studying the opening lines to “Tomorrow Never Knows”. 100pts. Oh, I forgot. If it isn’t original then it can’t be worthy of attention? I get it. Maybe that is why the “youth” are so useless?

2. I will never, ever catch-up. 50pts. I will try. I will also try and join you on sunday if Heather ever decides to tell me what her plans are.

For anyone new to OTT this guy rules.

3. You are so autistic I can smell it! 500pts. LoS is always a pain in games. Infinity and FoF seem to have few problems with that. I suppose the scale issue is just one of them things.

4. RTS are not for me either. 20pts. I don’t get the card game thing either. Jamie used to play YGO at organised events, but it was never for me. I never got into real card games either. I know three.

Dave plays the Battlefleet Gothic on Steam and loves it. It is just too much for me. It looks awesome all the same.

@robert – so what is in the shed? I’ll take a few snaps of our garden tomorrow. Your’s is really blooming! 100pts. Ours is full of cats and frogs.

Equality was just allowed to get another percentage of the population to pay tax!

I guess the thesis must have been 2.2 material! 70pts. Must try HARDER.

You should see the size of @cpauls1 back garden…

Ever seen ‘Day of the Triffids’? Movie not TV rubbish. If anyone is from anywhere further than Glasgow they will struggle with anything past the spuds. Then you will have to fry it. Glasgow rules. Scotia ya ‘bas!

Salad cream…oh, how common. The back of my hand is against my forehead as I try not to swoon. 50pts. I love it in eggy sandwiches.

@mecha82 – you are still forgetting a few things. No pay = no play. Seriously.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)