Skip to toolbar

The Weird West

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gorram 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

wolfie65
    Participant
    1229xp

I’ve got my first Wild West Exodus miniature primed – Jesse James from the Gunfight at Red Oak starter set – and reading Honor among Outlaws , which is actually pretty good for a novel based on a game.

Looking for more books and movies with a Horror/Sci-Fi/Steampunk-type Western theme.

I have Jonah Hex with Megan Fox, just watched Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell, have From Dusk Till Dawn 3 and The Burrowers lined up, a couple more Wild West Exodus novels and the Deadlands d20 rulebook on the way.

Any other suggestions ?

midnightblue
    Participant
    1285xp

A great genre to explore with a lot of options…let’s see if I can get my wild thoughts in some form of coherent list:

Fiction: Straight Outta Deadwood (anthology), The Weird Wild West (anthology), Dead Man’s Hand (Nancy A Collins anthology), Down Darker Trails: Edge of Sundown (anthology), Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (I loved the book…the movie was meh, in my opinion),

I’d also check out the Doomtown card game fiction, some great short stories there: http://dispatch.pineboxentertainment.com/chronological-order/

RPGs: Deadlands Savage Worlds (newer than the D20 version), This Favored Land (Arc Dream Publishing’s gritty Civil War Supers setting for Wild Talents 2nd Edition), Werewolf: The Wild West (White-Wolf Publishing), Call of Cthulhu: Down Darker Trails

You might check out Wyrd Miniatures’ Malifaux and Through the Breach game/book lines as well.  I don’t have anything specific to recommend though.

Movies: Cowboys vs. Aliens, House II (you don’t need to see House I, though I loved it), Tremors 4: The Legend Begins, Wild Wild West (not a great movie, but fits the genre),

Graphic Novels: Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears, Caliber: First Canon of Justice (this is the Excaliber/Arthur/Merlin myth set in the wild west…loved it!).

That should be a pretty good start off the top of my head.  If I remember more, I’ll post it.

Happy hunting!

midnightblue
    Participant
    1285xp

Oh…TV Show: Penny Dreadful (seasons 1 & 2 are pretty much in Victorian England, but season 3 has part of the cast in the American West for a good bit).  I LOVED this Showtime original series!  Dracula and vampires, werewolves, witches, demonic possessions, Dr. Frankenstein and his monsters, Dorian Gray, Dr. Jekyl, quick draw American gunfighter, so much more…what’s not to love?

wolfie65
    Participant
    1229xp

Those are great suggestions, thanks !

I’ve also got Oblivion on the way, trailer looks pretty good, but it’s a Full Moon movie, so we’ll see. Their Subspecies series is pretty much the only one of their offerings I really like.

Also just got a big bag o’ Steampunk books: Infernal Devices, The Six-Gun Tarot, Steampunk Prime, The Mammoth Book of Steampunk, The Buntline Special, The Strange Affair of Spring-heeled Jack, The Steampunk Gazette.

Not all of them Wild West-related, but that’s ok, since I’m also going to get into Twisted by Demented Games. Going to have to re-watch May Poppins (also have the book) and my 3 or 4 movie versions of Alice in Wonderland (have several Lewis Carroll books) I guess you might say that Fantastic Beasts (Harry Potter) is kinda Steampunk-ish, but I did not like those movies.

wolfie65
    Participant
    1229xp

Update: Bone Tomahawk is pretty good, not technically horror because while there is weird and gore, there is nothing supernatural, it’s just a very unusual Western movie.

If you are a Quentin Tarantino fan, you will get what you came for in From Dusk Till Dawn 3 – The Hangman’s Daughter , otherwise, I’d suggest you give that one a miss…..

gorram
    2588xp
    Cult of Games Member

Some great suggestions already. I’d throw in the Breachside Broadcast from Wyrd. It is a long running podcast of Malifaux fiction – some of it is particular to the world but in general it is some great weird west stuff. Worth going back to the beginning on it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)