Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] 2023 – 'ere we go! 'ere we go!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] 2023 – 'ere we go! 'ere we go!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 58 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Have you made any hobby related pledges for 2023? This is just a “yes” or “no” question so even if you do not want to share your pledge you can answer this one
    • If you have made pledges *and* you’re willing to share them with us: what did you pledge for?
    • Will 2023 be a year for you where a) things get back more to normal or b) more “crash and burn” will happen?

And now back to the show. Also please remember this thread is now *monthly* (unless it gets very active again then I might switch that up again)

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge: continuing the “15 minutes a day” challenge for January. See first results here:

Answers:

• No
    • Does not apply
    • I would hope for “more normal” but all signs point to “crash and burn”. Our landlord hasn’t gotten back to us on a mandatory[1] new boiler for heating, prices go BRRRRRRRRRR and I just generally feel my age more and more.

Now back to the XLBS and then some painting.

[1] In Germany under environmental laws homeowners are mandated to renew heating every 30 years. Our heater is now at 32 years. And also the energy company is switching to a different kind of gas and out old heater can’t be upgraded so when the new gas goes into the pipes out heating will be shut down… *sigh*

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

Sort off made a pledge…

Not so much a pledge, but my intention is to spend less on gaming in 2023.

2023 is going to crash and burn for me with some serious work issues… I won’t go into details… but it’s bad!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sorry to hear that mate. Spending less on hobby could be a problem for some folk I think. If hobby prices go up you actively need to buy way less :S

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

My will power already failed… this was far too good a price…

Atomic Mass Games | Star Wars Legion: Rebel Expansions: A-A5 Speeder Truck Unit Expansion

I have plenty of things to paint and still stuff to build… plus the airbrush to keep me busy.

And if by some fluke I run out of that there are countless boxes of boardgames with minis in need of paint.

templar007
    52353xp
    Cult of Games Member

Questions:

1) Have you made any hobby related pledges for 2023? This is just a “yes” or “no” question so even if you do not want to share your pledge you can answer this one
    2) If you have made pledges *and* you’re willing to share them with us: what did you pledge for?
    3) Will 2023 be a year for you where a) things get back more to normal or b) more “crash and burn” will happen?

Answers:

1) YES.

2) I have pledged to start posting at least one hobby video per month.  The studio is pretty much finished, (I’m trying to complete the sound deadening material behind the monitor behind me and then some thick quilted material hung on the opposite end of the room).  I really want to make this pledge happen.  Making quality videos, (like the OTT studio videos), has been a goal of mine for a long time.

3) 2023 will be normal for me as the last two years have been normal as always.  During the pandemic I experienced no change in work, (we worked right through as we were classified as essential).  We are located 650 ft below the surface at work and have very little visitors, (usually just the occasional client using the excuse to checking on their inventory stored with us but really just to see our facility which is restricted from casual visits).  Few visits mean very little exposure to germ carriers!

As far as home life, because work didn’t change, our lives at home remained pretty normal.  I would like to try and visit one to three hobby conventions but that would be really out of my norm.  That I will play by ear.  Also, I will be looking to back much less in Kickstarters.  I will try to restrict myself to only companies with a proven solid record. (So tired of people telling me I don’t deserve my backed product….I’ve NEVER looked at Kickstarter as me Giving money to a company to make their dreams come true….I want my product). (does that make me a selfish American or a practical hobby consumer?)

I’m hoping everyone has a super fantastic hobby year! 🤓👍

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Monday morning.

Forst workday of 2023.

I need coffee.

@templar007  I’m really looking forward to see your works. You already seem to put in way more effort than I do XD

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

Woohoo! Not just a new year, but a new forum thread! 2023 is looking good already!
    Happy New Year to everyone – hope you all had a great Xmas and ready and raring to go for this year. Let’s paint some minis!

Have you made any hobby related pledges for 2023?

Yes. Just not out loud to anyone. But, to myself, yes.

If you have made pledges *and* you’re willing to share them with us: what did you pledge for?

Ok then, here goes: to get out more. During The Event Stay Indoors, it was easy just to click and have stuff delivered to the door. That mentality seems to have stuck; we’re all busy buying stuff for ourselves and beavering away in our basements/workshops/back-bedrooms – but, just like playing music, all the best fun comes when you hang out with others. Even if it’s just painting along with a few other nerds (it doesn’t have to be playing actual games). So that’s my pledge – hang out with others more. The one thing I told myself I definitely would do would be to meet up some “virtual friends” in real life. But I can’t promise that will happen. Getting out of the house and “doing hobby” with others, I can!

Will 2023 be a year for you where a) things get back more to normal or b) more “crash and burn” will happen?

c) things will be awesome.
    I’m a bit fed up with “normal”. I’m already making changes to work and home life this year (we’re off to live in Sicily for a month in March, and again in Oct/Nov, and we’re planning on renting out somewhere for a while over summer, just for a break from “normal”). So more hobby, more meeting people, more going to new places…. neither normal nor “crash and burn” – I’m setting my sights much higher!

@templar007 – really looking forward to your videos. It sounds like you’re taking it quite seriously too!

@sundancer – that’s you in the video? How do you paint anything without holding it up a few inches (centimetres for our EU friends) from the end of your nose?! I’m both impressed and envious!

@pagan8th – hope it doesn’t get too rough for you this year – it sounds like you’re braced already, let’s hope it’s not too terrible…

In other news – I’m re-printing a lot of my Cyberforge and Unit9 minis at 110%. I painted a few Artisan Guild minis for a gift and really like the chunky heroic scale. They made my current collection of minis (the few I’ve actually finished painting) look a little weedy. I love the style of CyberForge and bulking them up a little bit makes them that little bit easier to paint too.

I’ve also given up on bases. Small, clear, acrylic discs are the order of the day now (I was inspired after seeing a GW article – it may have been in White Dwarf) showing off their new “kill-team-in-a-space-hulk-but-its-really-not-space-hulk” game. The minis were painted really nicely, but looked ridiculous with brown rims and grass tufts, onboard a grimy, dark space hulk.
    I’ve tried basing. I’m rubbish at it and don’t enjoy it. So – in true New Year Resolution fashion – I’ve ditched them!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  blinky465.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

How do you paint anything without holding it up a few inches (centimetres for our EU friends) from the end of your nose?! I’m both impressed and envious!

Well the answer to that is rather simple dear @blinky465  and probably disappointing. I’m using one of these:

https://amzn.eu/d/hZv9uNX

It’s a bit weird at first but I got used to it rather quickly. Also it helps when your wife is a professional Optician and has a permanent eye on your eyes. New glasses every time they are needed.

I’ve tried basing. I’m rubbish at it and don’t enjoy it.

Me too! That’s why I keep them black! Paint ’em black, yeah. This calls for music!

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Have you made any hobby related pledges for 2023? This is just a “yes” or “no” question so even if you do not want to share your pledge you can answer this one

I’ve not not really made a pledge but…

If you have made pledges *and* you’re willing to share them with us: what did you pledge for?

…I do want to concentrate more on only a few games that I play the most rather than get everything for everything.

Will 2023 be a year for you where a) things get back more to normal or b) more “crash and burn” will happen?

I tend to be quite optimistic so I’m thinking normality may return.

As for a hobby pledge I’ve started the new year by buying a whole load of lizardmen for Five Leagues from the Borderlands. I want to focus on filling out the enemy tables. This week and for the rest of the month I’m building and assembling my minis and getting them all primed. Then the painting shall begin.
    So far if I was to give myself a score of how many minis I’ve painted this year compared to how many I’ve bought I’d say it’s around -50 to -60.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

@blinky465 I work for royal mail… management are doing their best to destroy the business.

The money is in parcels… they don’t care about letters… we’re still delivering xmas cards…

And the strikes are getting us nowhere…

To quote a scotsman from Dad’s Army… “We’re all doomed!”

@sundancer I have one of those maglights… got mine from Maplin before the company expired.

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

I got mine from my mum on Friday!

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

My current pledge is to finish my first Raging Heroes print.

1. Have you made any hobby related pledges for 2023? This is just a “yes” or “no” question so even if you do not want to share your pledge you can answer this one – Yes
    2. If you have made pledges *and* you’re willing to share them with us: what did you pledge for? – To paint one print from each Raging Heroes Patreon release this month, plus all the releases back to the start of their Patreon. I also intend to play through Aeon Trespass Odyssey.
    3. Will 2023 be a year for you where a) things get back more to normal or b) more “crash and burn” will happen? – Depends which “things” you are referring to I guess. Here in the UK I suspect the crashing and burning shall continue.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

To paint one print from each Raging Heroes Patreon release this month, plus all the releases back to the start of their Patreon. I also intend to play through Aeon Trespass Odyssey.

That sounds like…. a metric ton of minis?! oO

It’s Tuesday. I have coffee and up till now only a few users have shown up…. I hope for a relaxed day 8)

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Wednesday came and left and now it’s Thursday.

Time is weird.

So today I got a parcel from Revell. Revell had a sale with “up to 90% off” so I had to go and look. I grabbed a X-Wing in 1:57 for 19€ as a terrain piece for SW:L. Yes, it’s a bit smaller than it should be but I’ll have a “crashed X-Wing Terrain Set” for 1/5th of what the AMG model would cost me.

Also in the parcel was a KV-2 tank. (I’m pretty sure @johnlyons could tell us a lot about it.) But it has a catch. It is a MENG Model Toon Edition KV-2. And it comes with two little ice bears. One to put on the barrel.

MENG Models KV-2

And yes, the tracks come in that yellow colour in rubber and the sprue is that torquise as well.

Not quiet sure on what to do with it. Build it “as is”, make it Orky or just go full ham on the glorious grot revolution…. I mean… I now where is lean to but… any other ideas? XD

And since they are model kits they don’t count towards “no new system”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)