Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] A day off

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] A day off

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 47 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

• Is May 1st a holiday in your country too?
    • How are you feeling?
    • What is you biggest one-time purchase in the hobby?

Stay safe and hydrated!

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

My answers:

• Yes (silly me)
    • Good… apart from hay fever and some minor old man things…
    • The airbrush and compressor set I just ordered.

Cheers and keep up all your hobby stuff people.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

1 Technically no, but because Sweden…yes

2 Honestly not sure right now, can I come back to you on that.

3 mmmm just spent 350 on 10 rabbits that will need another 80 to make them gameable.. but I spent 500 on gangs of Rome, although that gave me multiple gangs, and a full rule set and city to play on, now saying that I spent almost the same on 2 units for a game it seems excessive….

I’m working on some Ben Kenobis as it’s STAR WARS weekend I’ll let you know how it goes

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

1. I think so, but I am not sure. I forget which country sometimes. Not always easy living outside of your homeland. 😛

2. Sort of with @avernos on this one, but I’m upright, so that’s a plus! Also, I woke up BEFORE midday today!

3. I suppose my biggest buy was an Imperial Knight. I’ve even built him…ish. He’s in sub-assemblies…like half my collection…waiting for paint… 😛

Speaking of which, I will get some paint on minis this week. Promise.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Let’s try this … once more with feeling 😉
    1) Is May 1st a holiday in your country too?
    Nope.
    IT is kind of funnt when ‘labour day’ is spent not doing any labour at all …

2) How are you feeling?
    slowly getting used to working from home, but I do miss the office as have too many distractions when I’m not in the zone ..

3) What is you biggest one-time purchase in the hobby?

Probably one of the many kickstarters … I don’t like thinking too much about the actual cost of my big mountain of plastic, metal & resin.

An airbrush+compressor wouldn’t rank too high on that list that’s for sure, but it will be in there once I either get a new house or rent enough external storage space to store 90% of my hobby.

I checked my kickstarter account *eep* …

‘Blood&Plunder : No peace beyond the line’ … although that’s the kickstarter only money and does not account for additional purchases in pledgemanagers afterwards so I might have hidden expenses.
    In terms of storage space I think Time of Legends:Joan of Arc is the biggest …

It’s not that I earn a lot of money (definitely not when looking at average house price and max mortgage … ), but I don’t have any real expenses beyond cost of living and I can live on fairly minimal food supplies which means I can save a lot of money.
    Which would be good if the interest on savings accounts was decent and taxes did’t punish me for daring to save money for a future home.

Anyways …

Not sure yet … may simply dig in my mountain and pull something out of it.
    I do have a few bits from kickstarters to unpack.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Is May 1st a holiday in your country too?

I’m not sure I’d even notice it this year. I don’t think the 1st *is* a holiday in the UK? We usually take the following Monday as our May Day Bank Holiday.

How are you feeling?

Pretty f*@king great right now. I’ve had four or five projects on the go (hence being relatively quiet online lately) and a biggie was hacking a bunch of K838 digital photo frames I bought nearly ten years ago (for a business idea that failed to catch on). It’s taken me three days to get my ahead around some of the crazy code I put together a decade ago, but I finally got them to do my bidding – I’m going to have some pretty awesome cyberpunk advertising boards for my terrain pretty soon….

What is your biggest one-time purchase in the hobby?

I dropped about £230 on my resin printer and associated bits and bobs in January. That felt pretty big (but has been well worth every penny). I remember when I got my Army Painter Mega Set when edition III came out – that felt like a massive spend too, with the extra tins of quickshade and a load of brushes.

Nobody doing pledges this week?

I still feel a little like I let you guys down not getting my stepper-motor driven gun turret finished. But I’m justifying it to myself because I’m working on a pretty massive project at the minute (of course it involves lots of electronics and will tie in tabletop minis and terrain and all kinds of crap).

On top of that, this week I learned to paint eyes (thanks to Lyra Mev on Youtube)

vampire

And for this week my pledge has to be to complete the gang of cyberpunk renegades I started, once I had the confidence to paint eyes first. Yep – first, not last. Jeez, it makes it *soooo* much easier!

ott_team

I got the eyes and the faces painted! Now just to finish the rest of them…..

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Here’s some music for you. I’ve been painting vampires this week. It’s all been very “gothic” in my little painting corner of the workshop. Which got me thinking about how I forgot how much I loved Alice Cooper.

Listening to Hey Stoopid, it’s not such a goofy album as I first thought, back in the early 90s. Wind Up Toy is spectacularly creepy. There are some great songs on Trash too. But his earlier work has some belting songs too. I think this has to be a brilliant example of how very few people really “got” Alice Cooper – as he groans his way through a song about personal tragedy, in ripped leggings and makeup running down his face, an audience of middle-aged suit-and-ties politely clap because they’re not quite sure what else to do. Brilliant.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Man, this is still an amazing song after nearly thirty years!

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Let’s try this … once more with feeling ?

@limburger – you listening to your old Bon Jovi/New Jersey album by any chance? Sounds like a line from Bad Medicine…

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 nope,
    Although ‘Bad medicine’ is one of a few songs I like.
    (for a minute I was confusing Bon Jovi and Guns’n’Roses … LOL)

“Wind up Toy” is very dark … still doesn’t quite compare to Rammstein, but hey.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  limburger.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Personally, I’m a big fan of Gloryhammer, among others, at the moment. Not everyday I find myself enjoying songs about unicorns. 😛

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok, I need a second screen for all of this XD

@avernos

1. I see what you mean
    2. Sure man, any time.
    3. oO

“Kenobis”? Plural? If there is more than one limited edition Obi I’ll be very jelly.

@crazyredcoat

3. well get to it then! 😉

@limburger

1. agreed
    2. but the coffee at home sure is better
    3. Kickstarters…. the bottomless barrel XD

@blinky465

1. not sure… best answer yet XD
    2. great to hear, keep it up!
    3. 3D Printer… that could be the next hobby goal.. maybe. But first I have to paint some tartan.

Pledges and music… I forgot. But on the other hand everything is still mostly SSDD for me. So I don’t have that much time.

That’s enough for now. Need to do laundry and stuff… laters dudes.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I don’t drink coffee … (I know … heresy! Burn the Witch … )

am still thinking of buying a new monitor to use as either a replacement or second screen.

more screen space is always good, isn’t it?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

@sundancer fear not, only one is the Legion, other two being Knight Models, 32mm and 90mm figure

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger yes, more screens are better. In the office I have a multi monitor setup and it makes some things easier. I’m thinking on getting a new main one too and then a desk mounted monitor stand to have both of the table… more deskspace!

@avernos so a Obi diorama? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)