Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] And they are off!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] And they are off!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 46 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s Wednesday. Here’s your midweek music blast. It’s a classic. But different

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

So it looks like Patreon has gobbled up all my hobby budget this week. I’ve been putting off backing a couple but in the end just had to pull the trigger – the 3d printer hasn’t seen much action so I tend to only print when I’ve a plateful (except in this instance, I *wanted* to print a few minis, so signed up to a few Patreons to make sure I had a full plate this time around!)

On the upside, I now have a few Gammorean Guards for my Jabba’s Palace diorama (yep, painting yet more minis with absolutely no intention of ever putting them on a gaming table!)

Cyber Forge this month is particularly good too.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Someone mentioned Jabbe the Hutt? *perk* I  hope there is a project too? 😉

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sure – I just can’t think how I can fit an AI in there 😉

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

“The cloud”

So… a Bespin Cloudcar?

Or a literal cloud above the palace

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

He’s got a gigantic palace and we only see a few rooms … plenty of space for an AI 😉
    //

And of course all the stuff I’ve ordered is going to arrive on the same day (friday).
    At least based on current status the Warlord order (a ‘free’ tonk and the july suprise box) and my GW bits (Age of Sigmar books and a few extras I wanted). Warlord is using FedEx and I probably will have to pay taxes at some point.

Sometimes the youtube thingy will point to some interesting videos :

Can I say that he talks sense ?
    So far what little bits of guitar ‘lessons’ I’ve seen were boring as f*ck. If it hadn’t been for Rocksmith I probably wouldn’t have gotten anywhere. Not that I’m somewhere though, but at least this video did inspire me to want to try again.
    Now … if only I can keep my focus on one thing …

Maybe one day I will have had enough time to practice and learn a proper musical instrument.
    I don’t have a bucketlist, but if I did that would be on it.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve spent about thirty years getting away with just two barre chord shapes (A and E) – for anyone learning, I’d strongly recommend starting there. That’s the absolute minimum you need to be able to play! They also give you far more control over rhythm and syncopation than those open “cowboy” chords we all learn right at the very beginning.

A couple of months ago I started learning lead guitar (being a leftie, but playing a right-handed guitar because that’s all I could afford as a teen, means I not only drop plectrums more often than @warzan drops his tools off his hobby table, I don’t quite have the right-hand control for fancy alternative picking). I found Robert Renman to be a really good online teacher – he just gets stuck in and says “copy this” and off you go! I love Brian from ActiveMelody for the “shapes and theory” method of teaching too. Papastache is always entertaining, Griff Hamlin makes it look far easier than it is and Tim Pierce is just mesmerising!

Playing a musical instrument has done more for me than anything else – I couldn’t recommend learning one enough! When you’re ready, a little music theory – like understanding the “Nashville system” and intervals makes playing with other people much more enjoyable, so worth spending a *little* time over too 😉

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

Talking of Star Wars dioramas, Maddox this month has a nice range of Episode IV-looking rebels. I’m pretty sure I’ve some legion-scale Stormtroopers on a hard drive somewhere, so might throw some money at these once my wallet has recovered a little, and have a go at a long, thin, corridor type diorama one day….

maddox

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m soo glad I’m right handed, because I did notice that lefthanded guitars are very rare (and more expensive as a result I guess).

Although I must say that my left hand doesn’t quite obey my commands 😀
    It was fun playing the game and getting sounds out of an actual guitar as opposed to just hitting buttons, but I’m not even going to claim I was ‘playing guitar’ as it felt more like following orders. The automagic background music feature in Rocksmith was kind of awesome.

I do wonder how long the Mouse is going to allow 3D files like those rebels to exist. Given that they’ve found a way to extend copyright beyond anything reasonable I’m sure they’ll find a way to do shut down those 3D printer sites as well.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve painted up a practice model for applying gold leaf. Full write up of the painting can be found here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1593676/

Time permitting I’ll apply the gold leaf (actually silver coloured copper leaf in this instance) later this evening and post the results.

thumbnail_IMG_6158

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

@danlee Looking forward to seeing the final result. If things go bad how difficult would it be to remove the leaf and reapply? I imagine the model has been varnished so it won’t affect the paintwork.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

@demonsub yes I have varnished the model so I can mess around and hopefully the paint job will be safe.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

The results are in and its worked a lot better this time. Still needs a little clean up once the glue has fully cured. Fill write up here: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project-entry/1661893/

What do you guys think?

thumbnail_IMG_6162

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

nice work

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger – I think you might have a point; so I grabbed them while they are available! (In my mind’s eye, I’ve already created a corridor like the opening scenes of Ep IV and these guys are going to look so cool lined up along it!). From cutting right back on my Patreon support in recent months (ok, maybe just last month) my wallet has taken a battering this month! We’re going to have to live on 12p tins of beans, a family sized sack of rice and wet newspapers ’til the end of the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)