Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Dipping in and out again

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Dipping in and out again

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 44 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Hobby break. Have you ever stepped back from the hobby with a mental note “I just can’t right now” and left the hobby for any amount of time?
    • Have you made that decision spontaneously and suddenly or was it more a “I’m not enjoying this right now, lets do something else”?
    • When getting back into a game you find the rules have been updated some significant amount. Do you try to get back into the old system or do you take the dive at the deep end and learn everything fresh?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning Beasties and CoGs,

My pledge for the month is a plain: Paint some, game some.

Answers:

• yeah… between early 2000 and basically me joining BoW for Legion there was a big gap in miniature painting and stuff. But I guess X-Wing helped by easing me in XD
    • I think the hobby just fell to one side and never got picked up again on purpose :S
    • Well I am in the process of getting back into SW:L and we (my mate and I) have been out of the loop for so long we’re now just trying to get to grips with the new rules. But man that’s hard XD

Music:

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

Hobby Break: Thanks to the pandemic, I haven’t been socially gaming for years, and will just start with my old gaming buddy in a few weeks, nothing at all like how I used to game. For painting, I only started a few years ago when I retired, so my school and work years were the “long break” I had from painting!

“I’m not enjoying this right now, lets do something else”? : I don’t enjoy painting at all, but “these miniatures aren’t going to paint themselves”. As for games, “everyone’s a critic” so I find myself criticizing games more than enjoying them. I guess that’s fine, since I’m focusing on my health and weight right now, rather than playing games.

If a game is different from a previous version, I treat it as a new game. That’s been the case for D&D, as the last time I played it regularly was the AD&D days of first edition.

Well, that’s a tad depressing. (: Well, at least my painting is better than it was when I started, even if the pile of plastic keeps getting bigger and bigger…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  ced1106.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

I’ve taken hobby breaks when live was a bit too intense… being a carer is not easy…

Also taken breaks as GM when I’ve felt uninspired or life was too intense (see above), but someone else stepped in as GM for a while.

It was spontaneous… due to the circumstances.

When I’ve stepped back from a skirmish, or board game I only worried about rules changes if I bought a new edition. When you’re not playing competitively (and I don’t play tournaments) it doesn’t really matter as rules are optional.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This month’s pledge is to do the Arc World kickstarter minis that just arrived. When it gets warmer I’ll be able to print more Raging Heroes minis, but right now the prints area failing too often in the cold.

1. Hobby break. Have you ever stepped back from the hobby with a mental note “I just can’t right now” and left the hobby for any amount of time? – Maybe for a week or two between projects, but honestly not for any real length of time since I picked it back up again as an adult.
    2. Have you made that decision spontaneously and suddenly or was it more a “I’m not enjoying this right now, lets do something else”? – Usually its just a matter of not having that much enthusiasm for the next project or a computer game I’d rather be putting my time into.
    3. When getting back into a game you find the rules have been updated some significant amount. Do you try to get back into the old system or do you take the dive at the deep end and learn everything fresh? – I’d go for the most up to date rules, but it would depend on what my opponents were doing.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well, that’s a tad depressing. (: Well, at least my painting is better than it was when I started, even if the pile of plastic keeps getting bigger and bigger…

Well has the p.o.o. ever gotten smaller for anybody? @ced1106

I’d go for the most up to date rules, but it would depend on what my opponents were doing.

@danlee  well my mate has been out of the loop himself for two years now… so we both learn new rules now. Simply because I’d like to keep the option to play at tournaments 😉

Watching the Weekender now, can’t move. Made myself chocolate pudding and vanilla sauce and I may have overfilled myself… breathing is ok, just as long as I don’t move XD

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

Played through the ambush battle for Aeon Trespass Odyssey this afternoon: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1796204/

Only lost half my titans this time.

thumbnail_IMG_9010

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

I bet you lost them because they are not painted! ,)

I ordered some more BOT WAR.

And they delivered under 174 days this time XD

IMG_20230204_134119576

A box of Deceivers “Cult of the Destroyer” and a box of terrain!

IMG_20230204_163359331

Only three hours later: Waiting to be painted: 11 Battletech Mechs and 8 Bot War bots!

IMG_20230204_164703065

Making a bit of space on the painting space. I just did 10 Battlemechs so I’ll do some Bot War now. You hear me @avernos ? I HAVE (some) BOT WAR!

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I do plan to undercoat them all in the next couple of days (weather permitting) and then I’ll start painting them up.

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hobby break. Have you ever stepped back from the hobby with a mental note “I just can’t right now” and left the hobby for any amount of time?

Yes, a few times. Often it’s just a matter of prioritising hobbies (hey, there really is more to life than painting miniatures, no matter how much you’re told otherwise). Sometimes I want to learn some guitar and actively tell myself I haven’t time for mini painting and focus on that instead. Sometimes it’s electronics. Sometimes it’s just reading a really good book. Very rarely have I actually put my paints away, but I do occaisonally tell myself I just can’t paint right now and do something else. Sometimes it’s days. Sometimes weeks. Every now and again, months.

Have you made that decision spontaneously and suddenly or was it more a “I’m not enjoying this right now, lets do something else”?

Not necessarily “not enjoying this right now” but more “I think I’ll enjoy this more”. Even when I’m not enjoying the process of actually painting, I still like sharing pictures and being part of a community that paints miniatures. But the same goes for playing music (or making cool gadgets) – it enables me to be part of a community of people with the same interests and to share ideas; the activity is a gateway to hang out with the cool kids. Sometimes I just need to hang out with some different people, to keep the relationships alive.

When getting back into a game you find the rules have been updated some significant amount. Do you try to get back into the old system or do you take the dive at the deep end and learn everything fresh?

If it’s a game I’ve played and am familiar with, I’ll stick to the rules I know. Is there anyone who actually *enjoys* learning new rules for games? More than actually playing the game? Surely we learn the rules *only* to enable us to play the game? I’ve never been a “play to win” kind of player, I much more enjoy the process of playing the game (to win means the game is concluded; I happily give my opponent pieces back in a game of chess, for example, if it means the game will continue and/or make it more interesting). So learning new sets of rules to a game I already know to play? For some kind of tactical advantage? Not interested. If my opponent plays to the new rules? Well, they can talk me through them! I don’t have enough time already for my hobbies – don’t give me something else to eat into my time, too!

@sundancer – your BotWars reminds me, I’ve some cool cartoon-style Transformers minis printed and primed somewhere around here. I told myself they’d only take a couple of evenings but after finishing Octopus Prime and nearly finishing Bumblebee, my butterfly mind jumped onto something else – the rest of them are still just black-and-white primed…. somewhere.

My pile of opportunity swells and grows – but mostly because I print stuff then hang onto it for a few months, then give it away once I’ve lost interest or decided I’m never going to get around to paint it after all and printed something else.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

So you are saying that 3D printing is the devil because it just fills your p.o.o. and you gain nothing from it? 😉

And stompy cartoony robots will always have a place in my heart. And if it wasn’t for those obscene collectors prices I’d go out and rebut all my old toys.

The new rules for SW:L aren’t just “tactical” advantage but some core mechanics have changed (a bit) and are more clarified. Matured might be a word but they also got more complex. Especially in the realm of cover and line of sight.

Now, it’s Sunday, I had a nice breakfast and now will see what train is rolling through the XLBS.

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – well, now you put it like that….. actually, not really. 3d printing is the shizz. But for a long while I was still printing on a colour LCD and, aware of the relatively short lifespan (somewhere in the region of 400 hours is often quoted) I always loaded my print plate fully before printing anything. So each print got me 6-8 minis at a time.

Of which, I probably only really wanted 4 or 5 but realistically would only ever go on to paint two or three.

So, yes, I printed far more minis than I would ever even begin to paint. But gain nothing from it? Absolutely not. It revolutionized how I collect and paint my minis.

It allows me to treat them as disposable – to try out different techniques and colour schemes, and if they’re rubbish, just throw them away and print a replacement!

I don’t keep minis “for best” any more, or cripple myself with indecision about how to paint something because I really like the sculpt and don’t want to mess it up.

No, 3d printing is like garlic bread. It’s the future.

The rest of you can deny it, but we all know you’ll come around to it in the end! Like us computer users in the late 80s/early 90s being jeered for being nerds, or mp3 adopters in the late 90s being told it’s a pointless endeavour because people want to hold a physical thing in their hands, us early adopters are once again going through the growing pains so you don’t have to.

But that’s ok. Because some of us still enjoy it, even if sometimes it’s a pita. We’ll be here, ready to share tips and expertise with the rest of you when you’re ready to catch up! Just like we have with every other innovation that changed the world 😉 </snark>

Btw, if you fancy a set of Autobot/Deception minis in about 32mm scale, zenith primed and ready for some contrast/speed paint, I might have a few knocking around here somewhere….

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

To all your very well chosen words I have but one answer:

VINYL RECORDS ARE STILL A THING!

And I’ll die on the hill of physical media.

But also: if/when 3D printing reaches the comfort level of paper printing it will be very disruptive to many hobbies. But as long as it takes hours to print something decent (in quality and looks) it is still inferior to a part I can grab of the shelf.

And I’m never going to say no to more bots. 8)

It is Monday morning and I already want to go back to bed. Can I have some more weekend please?

blinky465
    17023xp
    Cult of Games Member

Convenience is everything. Sure, vinyl records are still “a thing”. But those who insist “they’re better than CDs because they’re analogue and CDs are digital and I swear my ears can hear the distinction between a digital signal operating at 44,100 times a second and an true analogue signal, and no, it’s not that vinyl is “warmer” because my stereo is actually cutting part of the treble signal, I can hear the difference because vinyl is better” still sound like lunatics shouting into the darkness.

CDs overtook vinyl because it was more convenient (and eventually cheaper). MP3s replaced CDs for pretty much the same reason. Vinyl these days is poorer quality and vastly more expensive than pretty much any other music delivery medium. But yes, it still exists. For the nostalgia nerds.
    That’s not a bad thing. But it doesn’t make the other thing “the bad thing” either.

More weekend? Yes please.
    I played at a blues jam yesterday and it was amazing. I’d love to do it all again today.
    But I can’t. Because I’ve got a kitchen sink tap to fix (it just came off in my hand last night!) and work to do.
    And a parcel to send, apparently 😉
    Autobots roll out!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

I didn’t say vinyl is better. Only that it’s still there.

And that I still buy physical media (DVD, CD, Bluray)

How do you break a kitchen sink? oO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)