Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Fire at will!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Fire at will!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

No questions this week as I am shit out of ideas.  So this week is a free for all. Vent, rant, curse and just release it all. But try to stay reasonable.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well…. what are you waiting for? Have some brand spanking new music!

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

My pledge is to either paint some Mantic sci-fi objectives I picked up last week or to paint some more Core Space minis, I haven’t decided yet.

I also plan to start my second run through of Space Station Zero with a new crew this afternoon. Hopefully it will go better for them.

Today I’m stuck indoors as there is work being done on the front porch getting new roofing on. So I’m catching up on a few battle reports on YouTube.

First one is a Middle Earth reskin of Rangers of Shadow Deep.

Then there’s a Space Station Zero game.

and lastly I have a game of Five Leagues from the Borderlands to watch.

You said we could rant, hmm, let me think. Ok, why do sweets and chocolate bars get smaller and smaller. I remember when Mars Bars were huge when I was young, and now they are tiny, it’s not fare. We’ve just got those big tubs of sweets in at work for Christmas (I work in a supermarket) and every year they get lighter and lighter. I’m getting reports now that the actual sweets themselves now are tiny compared with the previous years. Oh, and don’t get me started on those big one serving “sharing bags” of crisps and snacks. Rubbish! If you want to share buy a second bag.

Ah, glad to get that off my chest. Have fun.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well, he said pushing his glasses up his nose, it’s because they can’t raise the price. People would riot. So they lower the volume/size a bit. Not much but enough to make a significant change in cost of production. Profit!

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yes, but bigger is always better, so I’ve heard.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

But also more expensive, sadly

Pledge: Finish off more minis

I’m about to complete some more commission stuff for next weekend so I’ll be paid for doing work for a buddy. He’s told me I already have more work from one of the players in his campaign. This thing can put cash in pocket, but I’m being dilligent to use it for Giftmas shipping costs.

Aside from that I pulled up more dusty stuff and decided to ease my brain with simple painting. More history to be shared. I also received an order from Greenstuff World and I’ll be taking a crack at some backburner and a previously completed piece that could do with some more detailing. Yes, the devil is in the details.  (snicker.. chuckle)

Bedtime for now

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Devilish details are the best.

Today is Saturday and my name is Taxi. Daughter needs shuttling from A to B and at the same time laundry is being done. I reckon in about 5 hours’ish I’ll be able to put in hobby time in the means of watching the Weekender XD

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

Took out the Battle Systems Village Set for a test drive, with the first Rangers of Shadowdeep scenario! Zombies and giant rats have taken over the village, and you need to find the corpses. Sounds better than the scenario (probably designed as an easy tutorial scenario), where we cleared out the village of the clues and enemies halfway through the timer! Four archers as companions and a swordsman to help where needed meant zombies and mice were shot a few times halfway across the board before they had a chance to fight. My own ranger heroically ran around the bottom of the board, heroically opening doors, heroically collecting the nearest clues, heroically picking up the magic sword, and heroically not fighting a thing.

The friendly fire rule of most miniature skirmish games, where you can’t fire into melee because you might hit a friend (nevermind that the risk may be worth it) drives me nuts. RoS lets you push away an enemy if you win melee, even if you do no damage. That let the swordsman force a zombie attacking an archer to disengage, which allowed two archers to fire at him. SHOVE THUNK THUNK.

Buildings from the Battle System Village Set. Maladum dungeon terrain and game system KS in October.
    Game tiles are Ravenkeep’s Terra Tile set. Pre-order on the Ravenkeep.net page.
    Fallen villagers (used as clue tokens) are from Tiny Furniture.

Ravenkeep: https://ravenkeep.net/
    TF: https://tiny-furniture.com/products/category/harvestofwar-unpainted

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  ced1106.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

A true Hero knows when he doesn’t need to fight! That’s almost a battlereport. I’m sure @avernos will like this very much.

The map really looks nice. A bit like someone took a look at Carcasonne and said “I need those but bigger.” Sadly Ravenkeep states on their site “only shipping to the US”.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s a pretty cool setup @ced1106 and an enjoyable account. I have one or two of the fantasy Battle Systems buildings and yes, they certainly look the part and fit with Rangers very well. Looking forward to seeing your Infected Trees for the next scenario.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge will be to paint more wood elves IF I get the chance to buy the paints I need. This past weekend was super busy so not sure I’ll get around to it or not.

I’m not the ranting type to be honest. If something really annoys me I tend to just sigh and move on.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ranting can be a stress relieve valve even when the stress is not related to the rant. (For example feeling stressed about a health situation and ranting about BrainMatterBeige being not in stock)

Wonderful Monday morning to all of you. It’s fresh outside, the coffee is hot and I think I had a very nice long sleep and a good morning dump.  Yes, you youngsters be laughing all you will, after a certain age taking a good shit really is something that makes you feel good.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

after a certain age taking a good shit really is something that makes you feel good.

Yes, there’s nothing like a double flusher to make you lighter on your toes 😆

I’ve cleaned up the Mantic sci-fi objective markers, which took longer as they are a softer pvc style plastic so you have to slice the mould lines off rather than scrape them. I’ve also used brush on primer, again with them being pvc, aerosol primer can react with the plastic.

I’m also in the mood to start my city guard I got from the recent Midlam Miniatures Kickstarter. They are only 10 miniatures, a mix of male and female armed with a variety of weapons which will come in very handy for all sorts of fantasy games, including a Rangers of Shadows Deep scenario I plan on playing soon.

On Saturday evening we played a friend’s copy Leviathans, a game we haven’t touched for a long time and even then we only played once or twice. My friend is getting back into it, reading the lore and he recently backed the Kickstarter for the second edition.  It was quite fun even though we are very rusty and not used to this kind of game.

552C8B74-9BA1-4E81-9D94-473C3F64ADD345F73488-E36F-4DB2-8041-59917FCFED80

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Bringing back old games seems to be a theme for 2022. Let’s see what 2023 will bring.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)