Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] First post-Free Weekender

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] First post-Free Weekender

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• Who will be the “stand in” for Free this week? Or do we revert back to “three guys on a screen” again?
    • Are you aware that Christmas is just 3 months away and have you made plans for it yet?
    • “Games Workshop is bad m’kay?” – a valid concern or just an easy way to drive clicks and discussions?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: cleaning up the hobby space. It’s gotten up to “that” stage again where it’s more tip-toeing around over stuff then getting things done. That always hit motivation hard.

Answers:

• My bet is on “Three guys and a baby”
    • Very much aware and trying to keep ears open for things the wife might wish for herself.
    • Yes. Both actually. Let me explain: Due to it’s sheer size and market presence G’Wullu is in a position where it “dictates” how things are perceived and done. We all know the “a G’Wullu game was my first miniatures wargame” stories and most of us still have one or two games from the past they still very fondly remember and would like to come back. In any situation that much “power” concentrated on one spot is a bad thing. Because after all all miniature makers want to make a living/profit. At the same time G’Wullu cultists are so easily enraged and all the haters so much more eager to bash on them that a “G’wullu bad m’kay” headline (be that on a forum post or on a youtube video) is the equivalent of holding a burning match on an open half filled can of gas. And it’s freaking hard to avoid those things because it’s just FUN to poke the bear.

Anywho: It’s Friday. Stay safe, remain indoors and have yourself a good weekend.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

My pledge this weekend it to finish my Pig-Iron miniatures squad for Space Station Zero. I put them aside for a week or two as I was struggling for inspiration but I’m back at them and hope to start playing them soon.

Also tomorrow I’m off to Border Reiver, a local wargames show. It’ll be my first show since the start of lockdown and I’m pretty excited. It’s more of a trade show but there are a few games, both on display and as participation. I hope to take one or two photos, which I’ll share here and on Discord.

Who will be the “stand in” for Free this week? Or do we revert back to “three guys on a screen” again?

Who knows, maybe we’ll get both the brothers on at the same time. Then again maybe we’ll only have Gerry and Ben. Hopefully it’ll be four people more often though.

Are you aware that Christmas is just 3 months away and have you made plans for it yet?

Yes, it’s certainly creeping up. I’m starting to think of After Eight Mints already.

“Games Workshop is bad m’kay?” – a valid concern or just an easy way to drive clicks and discussions?

To be honest I’m getting a little bored of all of the GW speak, good or bad. I know they are the largest company in the hobby but there is a lot of other games and companies out there. It might be fun now and then to have a GW is bad, but some YouTuber’s do this every week. At least save it for when they actually do something bad.

Instead of music here’s one of the vidoes Warlord games have been putting out from their recent open day.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I’m return! Well…kind of; got lots of school to try and keep on top of, but I’m back from roaming the bush in search of rocks, so I can actually do some hobby…once I get my tools back. As for a pledge, I have nothing specific planned but I am going to be playing a game of 40k this weekend with my brother. Last time I played anything was a few months back during a break in summer work so it’s nice to be back to fairly consistent hobbying! I might do some building, I’ll deff do some priming, and hopefully much more gaming! But I also have an undergrad thesis to write and labs to run…so we’ll see how much I get done.

Questions!

Who will be the “stand in” for Free this week? Or do we revert back to “three guys on a screen” again?

Been a while since I watched a Weekender, so I don’t really have an opinion. I tend to steer away from videos of people talking about the hobby these days (see below) and stick mainly to painting videos.

Are you aware that Christmas is just 3 months away and have you made plans for it yet?

I choose not to accept this reality…

“Games Workshop is bad m’kay?” – a valid concern or just an easy way to drive clicks and discussions?

Valid criticism is acceptable and encouraged. @sundancer is right that they are a power in the industry and that comes with a certain amount of accountability to the consumer. That being said, the hate has gotten way out of hand and should be treated with indifference at best. I’m honestly sick and tired of having to hear about how my younger brother can’t even open a web page without feeling personally attacked because he actually likes GW products. How many youtubers are there in our industry who thrive because of clickbaity titles? Everyone does it. Even OTT has been doing it. I get it, it feeds the mighty algorithm, but if you need it to keep your channel afloat then maybe you should consider not having one? Opinions on something are different. The argument between dropper bottles and Citadel-style pots will probably go on for decades more. The debate over metal or plastic is the same. I have a preference in both cases and I’m happy to discuss with people, but discussion is not the same as getting up on your soapbox and denouncing.

GW is far from perfect, and they have some questionable business practises at times. They are one of the few companies in our industry large enough to afford mass advertising so they are much more visible, but is that a fault or a sign of their success? They aggressively defend their IP to a level that stifles creativity in the hobby in all sorts of ways, and they can only do this because of their position. They have a reputation for poor balance in their games that is not entirely an unfair reputation, if sometimes a bit over-blown. The constant influx of new stuff can be suffocating and hard to keep up with, but they can do it and it’s obviously working well enough for them that they continue the practise. I’ll leave this for now, because as you can probably tell this is a subject that has been bothering me for a while and I don’t want to upset the course of these weekly posts.

In recompense for my ramblings; MUSIC!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ramblings are all fine and good 🙂

But, as I tend to do, I had a weird idea today. What music takes you back to your first wargaming/hobby experiences? For me, for one or the other reason, the following are some of my “time machines”

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

Christmas? Can’t see past November. Depending on the USA election results, I’ll see if Christmas will be cancelled or not.

I guess some people really do have that much disposable income? I follow the CMON KS, and, for boardgamers, CMON also has high miniature quality, but high prices. I do have a ton of old GW models and games secondhand and it’s quality stuff. But it requires a high level of painting ability to meet the quality of the sculpts, so if you don’t have the time and ability, why spend the money?

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Here’s a few pics from the Border Reiver wargames show that I was at today.

8DBDCE7D-02EB-47DD-9147-392223F478181953690E-5A0C-4BB8-98CB-A8DE3E954EE0989877CB-A560-4EDC-AE83-5DCBD66B60005B99A07D-7063-424B-8C17-72F087620909
    A49BE630-5E14-435C-BCD0-FE7AFA5B0CF3
    I was particularly impressed with the papercraft terrain, which certainly I thought was mdf until I got quite close.

Also two warlord titans. I’m pretty sure the table was sagging.

Pledge: Do more hobby stuff

I’m late to the thread but its all sausage all the time for the party on the screen this week.

Giftmas you say? Never heard of it. I might have to mark my calendar. I do know there’s some sort of cold season around the corner.

th-918524954

I see the clickbait as a regular theme to drive discussion. I caught myself, after writing a response to the analysis of GW, and saw how strong that impulse is.

I got more painted and threw it on ny hobby desk project. So much to do sometimes so little chance to get it done.

Time to melt some minds with metal. Each gets longer than the last

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

@ced1106

Christmas? Can’t see past November. Depending on the USA election results, I’ll see if Christmas will be cancelled or not.

Elections again? Or am I just confusing different elections? Wasn’t Biden just now elected?

@demonsub Those BFG look… different? Upscaled? Are those officials? And yes, Papercraft terrain is really amazing at times. If I ever can get it to work without warping XD

@horati0nosebl0wer  Sausage party? Oh my! Nice choice of music there 8)

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Those BFG look… different?

@sundancer Yes, they are very much bigger than the GW minis. Not sure if they were 3d printed or scratch build but I do know that large quantities of resin was used. One of the guys there has a resin allergy and apparently the Nurgle ship wasn’t fully cured, so it makes him ill if he touches it.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nurgle makes you sick…. that’s dedication to the hobby XD

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This weeks pledge is to finish the wood elves. I’ve a selection of characters to do then I’ve reached the end of the project.

Just finished some archers. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1706063/

thumbnail_IMG_8258

1. Who will be the “stand in” for Free this week? Or do we revert back to “three guys on a screen” again? – I’m watching it now so I know the answer.
    2. Are you aware that Christmas is just 3 months away and have you made plans for it yet? – Yes and no, respectively.
    3. “Games Workshop is bad m’kay?” – a valid concern or just an easy way to drive clicks and discussions? – Nothing in life is that simple.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

Scratch that. My skeleton horde ran out and I use it on every model in this project. I’d buy more tomorrow, but it seems every shop in the country will be shut. I’ll have to postpone painting until next weekend.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Shops closed? How did that happen? 8)

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

> Elections again? Or am I just confusing different elections? Wasn’t Biden just now elected?

Every four years, the yanks have a presidential and congressional election, and he was elected two years ago.
    Every two years, we have a congressional elections, aka. midterms, for the representatives.

> NO POLITICS

Oops! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)