Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Forum is on fire

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Forum is on fire

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 50 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

oriskany
    60736xp
    Cult of Games Member

Worst Injury: 
    Easy.  Building Battletech scratch terrain, sci-fi buildings at 1:256. Was trying to cut through some stubborn pine wood with an older razor.  Blade snapped while I was pressing down on it.  In the microsecond that followed, the tip of the blade embedded in the green cutting board, leaving the jagged edge of the broken stem pointing up.  Sadly, my hand was still pressing down on the handle, and, well …  So not really a CUT, more of an impalement on the broken end of the blade.  Went into the meat of my hand at least ¾ of an inch deep, which leads to …

Advice on Safety:
    Hardly an original thought, but always use new blades.  Sharper = safer because you don’t need nearly as much force and you have much more control.  Also, use a small saw on anything tougher than balsa.  Save the razors for balsa, cardboard, cardstock, paper, and thin plastic.

Coffee:  You DON’T want to talk to Oriskany before he’s had at least 30 oz of coffee.  Trust me.  It’s … not pretty.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Injuries: what was the worst injury you inflicted on yourself whilst working on anything hobby related?

I’d say paper cuts are the worst hobby related injury so far. I’ve had a few very tiny cuts with a hobby knife, but that was because I wasn’t paying enough attention.
    Never drank the paint water either …

• What advice on safety do you wish someone had told you before you started the hobby?

Must admit that Mel’s advice on not mixing hot glue with superglue was interesting. Never mixed either of those though, because I try to be extra careful when I’m working with chemicals or sharp objects.

• Coffee: yes please or are you a heretic?

I can tolerate coffee with milk and lots of sugar if there isn’t any tea …
    And I don’t mind the instant coffee provided it’s with cream and sugar.
    Heretic and proud of it :p

We needs more music … why isn’t there any yet ?

Be aware that I will post more music if this lack of tunes continues … 😉

oriskany
    60736xp
    Cult of Games Member

Over from last week’s thread:

Ops Center Episode 20: Desert Storm – Conclusion

With this episode, we bring a conclusion to our 30th-Anniversary Ops Center series on Desert Storm and the Gulf War of 1991.  Now that the Coalition’s ground invasion is in full swing, we track the progress of American, British, French, and allied armies as they liberate Kuwait and press deep into Iraq.

Such maneuvers, unmatched in sheer scale since perhaps World War Two, ignite such battles as Al Busayyah, 73 Easting, Norfolk, Medina Ridge, Kuwait International Airport, and Rumaila Oilfields.

We look into these battles, tracking the Gulf War to its echoing conclusion, and take a deep and detailed dive into how the recreation of such engagement can be brought to your tabletop.  Whether at the sweeping operational level as a four-star general, command tactical level as a major or colonel, or up-close tactical level as a sergeant, lieutenant, or captain, we look at game systems and scenario types that can bring the Gulf War to your table.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

You always put more effort into your YouTube thumbnails then I do on any other media related thing XD

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

I got the flag all finished! Project post in the works for the step-by-step on how I did it.

20210213_160509

(I also don’t have any tufts left for grass…)

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great job on that flag – very tidy painting.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Thanks, mate! I made a few mistakes here and there, but tidying up wasn’t too tricky, thankfully.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Injuries: what was the worst injury you inflicted on yourself whilst working on anything hobby related?
      I once disabled the magnetic safety lock on my laser cutter, to help with aligning the mirrors. Forgot I’d done this and instead of pressing the “home” button, hit “go”. The laser burn went quite a way into the skin (cooking people flesh really does smell like pork) but, on the upside, I cauterised the wound at the same time!

• What advice on safety do you wish someone had told you before you started the hobby?
      Safety locks are there for a reason! (though in all seriousness, use sharp blades, cut using multiple, light, long strokes, instead of hacking at something, or leaning on it with all your force – I lost the very tip of thumb pad once; it grew back over about three months. Human skin is amazing. But don’t let that mean you become complacent!)

• Coffee: yes please or are you a heretic?
      Black. Instant. And very weak. I don’t get the “buzziness” off caffine – I can easily have a coffee and go to bed (I’ve one on the go as I write this, at half past midnight). I just don’t like it too bitter. Or too oily. A spoonful of Mellow Birds and a cupful of hot water will do me just fine.

Pledge: I’ve not fired up my 3d resin printer for about a month or so now. The reviews on here about Forest Dragon got me wondering about small-scale army painting. After the thread on cards and dice, I realised the games I keep referring to are either tabletop RPGs or skirmish level games. I don’t know if I like wargaming. So I’m printing some 10mm armies to try out an army-level level (but keeping it small enough to fit on the kitchen table). So this week’s pledge is to keep-it-simple-to-paint-a-10mm-army (block colour, splosh on some Quickshade, a few edge highlights and *get them based*).

Music – here’s some 70s “soft rock” for you @warzan. It’s Smokie!

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

We can’t mention Smokie … without this song :

And the more ‘modern’ version (which I always thought was a cover … )

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Injuries: what was the worst injury you inflicted on yourself whilst working on anything hobby related?

I slipped with a Stanley knife into my leg. Thought nothing of it since the pain was not too bad then felt something wet drip down my leg. Turns out the cut was deeper than I thought. I still have that scar now.

What advice on safety do you wish someone had told you before you started the hobby?

Always double check that it’s the tea cup you are about to drink from and not the paint water.

Coffee: yes please or are you a heretic?

Both I drink coffee (although tea is my first love)  and I play Chaos.

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

@blinky465 impressive injury I’ve always been weary of home laser cutting just because of the safety training I’d had for fibre splicing and I know myself well enough that I will fiddle and forget I’ve disabled a safety its not like there is space to hang a safety padlock anywhere to slow down my stupid 😉 especially when the injury is at the speed of light! , some of the DIY builds I’ve seen on YouTube makes me wonder how they managed to not burn their house down before posting the vid!

I’m amazed I’ve never burnt myself using my SMT hot air gun, which is brilliant for terrain for getting singed and scorched effects (nothing looks more realistic than real) as well as reposing plastic minis and repairing bent lead minis

I do enjoy a bedtime mellow birds too lol, guess its an EE/coder/maker thing

@demonsub ouch I hate the bruise that comes from Stanley cuts

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Both I drink coffee (although tea is my first love) and I play Chaos.

I see a connection there!

I’ve not fired up my 3d resin printer for about a month or so now

Doesn’t resin go bad? I thought I heard somebody mention it on a German Podcast.

And music for a relaxed Sunday:

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@timchubb – maybe it is a coder/maker thing… I remember watching a programme a while back about why coders and techie people work best into the early hours (something to do with fatigue forcing you to focus on a subset of ideas instead of jumping around from topic to topic). They basically demonstrated that the Ballmer Peak is a real, measurable thing. Drunk Coding works on the same principle.

Image1

@limburger – I have two songs in my arsenal guaranteed to get a sing-along going. The first is – of course – Sweet Caroline, but the second is the “modern version” of Alice.

@sundancer – I’m off down the garden to my workshop in bit (just giving the heater time to warm the place up!) so I guess we’ll find out in a few hours…..

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

@blinky465 interesting shall have a look for that, would explain why my best code comes from extended >18 hour crunches and my preference for pulling midweek all nighters.

Whiskey in the jar usually gets a sing along going, as does the punk version of nelly the elephant

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@timchubb – all my best work tends to come in the hours midnight – 3am. I’ve honestly tried early mornings etc. but nothing beats “crunch-coding”. Throughout the day, I’m too easily distracted by emails, the radio, random website browsing. But after about midnight (presumably as the give-me-attention parts of my brain are starting to shut down) I can solve almost anything! A bit like drunk coding, though – revisit any of my 3am or later code the following day and it just looks like garbage!

@sundancer – I’m only fifteen minutes into printing (after leaving the resin in the vat for over a month) and everything is sticking to the plate as expected. It’s looking quite promising (though I did put the vat in front of a heater for ten minutes so it was less like treacle and had a bit more “flow” to it). Pics later…..

Here’s the Friday night version of your track:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)