Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Friday…. finally!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Friday…. finally!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@irredeemable – nice Blood Bowling (yes, that’s a word). Where did you get your transfers? I’ve a boxed set of Gouged Eye and Reikland Reavers but I can’t find any transfers for them (I thought they came in the box, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had any – though I may have just misplaced them!). Photos of how you get on with transfers would be really helpful!

I haven’t played for over a year now (I used to go to jam nights at local pubs and clubs) and really miss it – but the biggest part of going to such events was to see other people play live (if it was a busy night – and the players were good! – I’d happily sit out and let someone else play; just being among talented musicians is reward enough).

I never really “got” the whole online concert thing. But then the Wildhearts announced an online concert for this April and I bought tickets as soon as I could and now can’t wait to see them play. I prefer the intimate setting of local live music to big stadium concerts – whether local bands or established acts. So it’ll be cool just to see four guys making a noise together in little more than a rehearsal studio! Strangely, Worthing (more than Brighton) seems to be a hotbed of up-and-coming bands trying out their new material or starting a UK tour, ex-80s pop stars and local musicians all mixing together (a lot more relaxed and inclusive than Brighton, just a few miles up the road). I miss going to Worthing (for the music) more than I do Brighton these days.

Our local blues/rock jam night is aiming to start up again in July. Fingers crossed I’ve managed to get a jab before then…..

@thedace – that cloak looks lovely. Really nice work!

@crazyredcoat – one moment is the same as another – I can’t work out if this is the ultimate “living for the minute” statement, or just a little bit miserable. It’s nice to have moments to look back on fondly, it’s important to have things to look forward to – the idea of “one moment is the same as another” sounds like a joyless way to spend your days – unless, of course, you’re living “to the max” in a blur of frantic activity, unable to stop and take anything in or think about what’s gone or what’s coming up  (in which case, fantastically well done you!). As my little sister might say, “you ok, hun?”

😉

irredeemable
    3742xp
    Cult of Games Member

Transfers are on and the I’m really happy with the finish. Combining the Microset and Microsol with a base of Ard Coat and a finish with Lahmian Medium has given me the best result I’ve got with transfers to date. Previously I didn’t care how glossy they looked as long as they stayed on.

IMG_20210313_165255

Final step is now basing. Charting new waters with this as previously I’ve only based my minis using sand and paint but this time I’m trying my hand at static grass. I’ve also changed the sand I use (ran out of a tub I filled years ago from somewhere lost to memory…) so I’m using the stuff from Green Stuff World. I’ve put it on one base before doing the whole lot as I want to see how it reacts to paint. I’ve also chucked some grass onto another test base to see how that behaves.

IMG_20210313_165218

@blinky465

My sheet came with the core box so if you bought that you should have them somewhere.

I prefer smaller gigs too. Granted, being a fan of extreme metal doesn’t often offer up many opportunities for stadium gigs but I have been to a few over the years and I definitely favour the atmosphere (and price!) of something with only a couple hundred people.

irredeemable
    3742xp
    Cult of Games Member

So after letting my test base set I decided I wasn’t happy with the finish, it was too rough for the grass to stick to properly. Scraped it off and just went with sand I got from the beach instead. The whole team got done but the PVA takes ages to dry fully so it might be tomorrow morning before I get to chuck some paint on. Really looking forward to getting these done and then I’m going to move onto Griff Oberwald and The Mighty Zug.

IMG_20210313_183527

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@irredeemable Thanks for the kind words, mate! I’ve actually finished up the weathering as well (see below) so my project log can go up later this afternoon. Collecting WW2 vehicle kits has been a hobby for me longer than Wargaming, all that’s changed is the scale, really. 😛

@blinky465 To be honest, it’s a bit of both, but also not. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels like the past few months have lasted years and nothing has really happened in them. That being said, it was also a slightly sarcastic joke about relative time as most of my days are spent looking at school stuff and being a geology student, time is very much seen differently. In short, I’m alright and thanks for asking, mate. Much appreciated!

I will title this image with the phrase I used when I sent the pics to my brother and, considering the current ‘Stay Indoors’ situations: All scuffed up and nowhere to go!

20210313_141554

More pictures to come in my project log!

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

Morning all!
    It’s pouring rain, I’ve just finished my second mug of Morning Brown. It’s a good time to stay inside, answer some questions, and do some hobby.

1. It depends on the project. For example, my Elves drew inspiration from Oldhammer, but cross referenced with D&D style as well. If I start out with no plan, just going with the flow, then I’ll usually have a rough idea of where I want to start: a particular colour or colour combination I want to try out. I painted my first Infinity mini about 2 years ago this way.

2. I’m not entirely sure I have a favourite month… I suppose I could say April as it’s my birth month. The Autumn and Spring seasons are my preferred time of year, not too hot, not too cold.

3. I’m fortunate that I can have a dedicated set up for my hobby, the perks of living alone. I have a desk to sit and paint, and a bench which doubles as a work bench and gaming table. I also have a dining table that’s a decent size for large boardgames, we’ve played Tidal Blades, Scythe and Kingdom Death there.

@irredeemable your Bloodbowl stuff is looking fantastic!

@crazyredcoat the tank is coming up awesome 😀

Speaking of research/ inspiration etc: I need some help! Has anyone got a good colour recipe or link for painting polished wood? I want the staff top to be a carved wooden totem for my Wood Elf Mage:

20210313_205000_HDR

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Thanks, @rayzryr ! As for polished wood, I suppose it depends on hard or soft wood. I’m guessing something like oak is what your going for, so that’d tend to be a darker brown, assuming a polish put on top. Something that might work it Contrast paints. I’ve been messing around with them a bit recently and they can do some funky stuff. Just a thought, and not something I’ve done myself, but if you use a white basecoat and then use a light beige of some sort to paint a ‘wood grain’ pattern then you could add a thinned coat of Wyldwood across the top. That should (in theory) give you a nice simple colour and keep the wood grain visible. Also maybe a thin coat of gloss varnish just for that bit of shine. Again, not something I’ve tried myself, just a thought.

danlee
    22390xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ve got my pledge done early this week. Now I need to finish the grass tufts and snow effects on the second half of the army to finish off the project. https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1567993/

thumbnail_IMG_5167

thedace
    9993xp
    Cult of Games Member

Heya folks.

Thanks for the compliment on the cloak @blinky465

@danlee I’ve just had a look through your project and it looks great.

You’re 1 full milestone ahead of me!

I managed to finish my milestone 4 today.

20210314_172256-01

As for the other bit of my pledge, I completed another spaceship with one more well on the way.

20210313220258-02

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

@crazyredcoat thanks for the ideas ? if I was at the starting point with this mini, is probably try it. As it is, I just had the staff top to go.

@danlee the Conquest fire… guy… looks great! I’ll have to go check your project after this.

@thedace and your Conquest minis are looking great too. Really Cool space ship too. What company is it from?

I think I’ve finished this one? Not really sure about the staff top. It was meant to be carved wood, but it looks more bone-like… which I can work with. It is meant to be a mystical, semi-dangerous icon designed to channel the power of Wood Elf magic.

Any thoughts/ feedback?

20210315_225819_HDR~220210315_225800_HDR~2

thedace
    9993xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looks really cool @rayzryr . Maybe a little red dot in each of the eye sockets at the top of the staff. It may give it a more magical look.

Thanks for the compliments.

The ship is a Frigate from Dropfleet commander. Really detailed minis that I’m enjoying painting.

irredeemable
    3742xp
    Cult of Games Member

Stage one of my Reikland Reavers is finally complete. Pretty happy with how these guys turned out and I think the static grass looks good enough for my first attempt. Star Players are next and then onto the extra players and cheerleaders if Forgeworld ever get around to shipping them to me.

IMG_20210314_202428

IMG_20210314_202517

IMG_20210314_202539

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

@irredeemable – nice work! Those transfers really finish the minis off nicely.

(I’ve still only six orcs and now six humans painted so still not enough even for a game of sevens!)

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

(I’ve still only six orcs and now six humans painted so still not enough even for a game of sevens!)

You can, and trust me on this, play BB with unpainted minis 😉

And yeah, the transfers add a lot. Makes you wonder why they were not included in the 2016 version… or were they? can’t remember…

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think I did a few time, back in about 1989 (2nd ed). But my imagination was a lot better back then. I can’t bring myself to do it now – I’ve a nice big pitch with static grass and line markings, I’ve gone to the trouble of putting static grass on the bases…. I just can’t bring myself to drop a few grey, lifeless lumps of plastic into the mix! (ok, some grey plastic and some bright pink resin, as much of my human team I printed myself from RNEStudio’s human team). I have transfers in my orc team box. I can’t find any to go with the human team I have (though I gave half of them away years ago and don’t really like the ones I’ve been left with – ball in hand, but I’m not good enough to try converting myself to remove them – hence printing my own).

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Well I got a Snek Lady from my Shadespire Daughters of Khaine team finished. Should have been doing a Geophys lab, but motivation for school is so rapidly dwindling at the moment… I need to wait for better light for the pictures anyway, so I’ll save it for next week’s post.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)