Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Friday, my favourite day.

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Friday, my favourite day.

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

@sundancer I think we all agree that you absolutely should.

@horati0nosebl0wer I tend to lose my magnets, put them wrong way round and lose alternate bits etc. I’d be happy if someone did it for me.

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 I’m glad you’ve got another tool in the hobby tool kit. Thankfully I haven’t felt the need for magnification, yet, but you’re 100% right about the game changer a good lighting set up can be.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Always wondered if people found magnifying lenses helpful. I have an old fixed frame one lying around, but I never found a use for it. The only time I do use them (or something like them) is my handlens for mineral and rock IDs for school and research… Work has, slightly, continued on my Aggressors, but as I sit here delicately painting around armour panels I should have built sub-assemblies around I find myself wondering if I should redo the plasma coils on my Redemptor because what is a finished mini anyway? I’ll probs do it anyway; I wasn’t too happy with the ‘dullness’ of the colours on it, but we’ll see. I am also trying to get myself to start a paper for a possible research project (seeing as I have all this time), but motivation, in general, is lacking a bit at the mo. Later on today I will try to remember to actually post some pictures of what I have done so far…

In the meantime, have a tune.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

blinky

It’s not that I *need* magnifiers. But, by god, the direct LED light and the magnification really does making painting things like eyeliner *much* easier! I don’t care how ridiculous I look in them, nor how big it makes my eye(s) – I tend to prefer one over the other so end up looking like Chrissy-One-Eye.

I tried one of those table-mount magnifying glasses on a bendy stand,  but it made me a bit seasick. I’d given up on these because – like @warzan – I always just went “bigger is better” and went for x3.5 every time. Getting the focal length right has made such a difference.

In the last couple of weeks I’ve gone from painting minis with a flesh colour and a wash over the face and features to actually eyelining the female characters! Since I started painting eyes last week, and now getting much more details on things like cheeks and lips, I feel like my painting has improved many, many times over. I still paint in a horrible black-lined cartoon style most of the time, but there’s something about a well-painted face that takes your attention away from all the other less-than-brilliant parts!

@blinky465 You and Mrs. Blinky have reached an accord about being in your separate corners for a time. I’m thinking of when I had something similar with an old gf when she played Dance Dance Revolution. As far as lining I think that Vince Venturella has pointed out in the past that we all seek high contrast in the scale that we work with to find the happy place for eye catching detail.

@warzan I have no further words for Mutinus Tutinus and as I’m barred by the law of the thread from posting pics there aren’t any addedums in that dept. either. I think that the scene from Ghostbusters II with Sigourney Weaver in the art gallery works best. I think @sundancer you could get your other half to chime in as well for some ideas.

@woldenspoons Its easy to mark the magnets with a marker for things that either attract or repel. This has helped me keep from gluing magnets in the wrong way.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

@woldenspoons  @horati0nosebl0wer  so I asked her about these things and now I know how people feel when they ask be computer specifics… it’s not that simple. I try to distil her answer in a few points:

• first and foremost have your eyes checked and in order before using the head mounted magnifying glasses. Around the age of 40 the eyes of most people go “bad” (muscles tire of age, lenses and other part start loosing their flexibility etc) and most need reading glasses. First! Check! This! And I’m speaking of personal experience. It helps a ton.
    • If that is all fine try to stay with a well known optical brand like Zeiss or Eschenbach. These are not cheap but they know what they are doing.
    • Stay away from ultra cheap models with injection molded lenses. We of all people should be able to spot sprue points etc.
    • expect to invest around the 30 -50 € mark.
    • If possible go to your local optician and test fit them. Like with clothes, glasses, shoes and other stuff it’s all about personal preference.

So there is that.

Also, there is a new thread: https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/unofficial-weekender-if-you-can-read-this-then-its-friday/

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)