Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] The snow has gone! (at least here)

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] The snow has gone! (at least here)

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions:

• Stupid project ideas: do you write them down, try to make them or just giggle at them internally?
    • Sourcing materials: what’s your #1 place to go when you need large quantities of “unusual” things?
    • With Brexit now full in effect: did it influence your hobby? Have you switched to other suppliers or where you caught of guard and now you need to pay a buttload of taxes?

Discuss!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member
    • Usually I forget them before I get the chance to make them happen or even write them down. And sometimes I just giggle.
    • ebay usually… with varying success.
    • Not yet… but I’m guessing I will know for sure when some Kickstarters start to deliver…

Speaking of sourcing materials…. where do I get 150+ D6 dice (16mm) ? Any ideas? Asking for a friend XD

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

Good sir the snow has not gone! In fact we are due more, and I am happy for it! 😛 It’s not like I go anywhere anyway right now… 😛

I will possibly put some paint on my medic, but this upcoming week is going to be quite heavy with school midterms, so we’ll see how well I do there…

Questions!

Stupid project ideas: do you write them down, try to make them or just giggle at them internally?

I write down all sorts of things, then lose the text file or the book I wrote it in and have to start again…

Sourcing materials: what’s your #1 place to go when you need large quantities of “unusual” things?

I don’t really have anywhere because I don’t do too much that’s ‘unusual’, I guess…

With Brexit now full in effect: did it influence your hobby? Have you switched to other suppliers or where you caught of guard and now you need to pay a buttload of taxes?

Of all the problems and stress that Brexit has caused me over the years, my hobby is the least problematic to me, if I’m honest… Maybe other Ex-Pats feel the same way, but I am just appalled it even happened… I’ll say no more there, though, to abide by our politics rules.

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

1) Yes i post on this forum ;), and yes i have millions of daft ideas saved for a rainy day, onenote/evernote FTW!

2) Aliexpress, gundam tools is a great search term for finding things like photo etch details for a couple of quid, and really good hobby tools for a fraction of the price from any of the hobby companies (its where the source there stuff before they mark it up) that said shipping can take anything from a week to a couple of months so this company is a good source if you need it quicker https://www.expotools.com/. Ive been into avoiding the hobby tax for years, such as never buying PVA in little bottles just buy one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-CONPVA5-Contractors-PVA-5Kg/dp/B0012MPV6S/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=everbuild+pva&qid=1613728894&sr=8-5
    Or wandering arround DIY stores looking for cool materials, also not afraid of skip diving and coming back with as much shite as i went with to the recycling centre. If you want cheap scatter material for basing and terrain, get a cheap coffee grinder, and see if it blends, old sprue can be rendered to debris in a few secs, diy clump foliage can be made from a sponge/packing foam, kitty litter turned into nice gravel, goto the beach and fill a bag with sand, then bake it on an oven tray to dry it, lentils make great cobble stones (never eat the acursed things though), if you dope lasagne sheets with a 1:3 pva water mix they can be used as an alternative to plasticard in a pinch but you need to use a dremel and cut off disc to cut them. 99% of hobby materials are actually repurposed from other industries so think laterally and work out where it comes from then adjust your google fu to suit. i.e. Flock, overpriced tiny bags from woodland sceneics can be sourced directly from manufacturer if you know its industrial use in for car interiors https://www.theflockingshop.co.uk/ 100g bag in way more shades than you can usually find for under £5, 1kg bag for under £25

3) Not really to be honest, and i will leave it at that as its a messier conversation and quicker way to loose friends and respect for people than invoking star wars vs star trek (correct answer is neither arther c clarke is superior in all regards 😉 )

Pledge: shall finish gundam and eat birthday cake, possibly pre fab some plumbing for new scratch built air compressor

That will do for now

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Birthday cake? What? HAPPY SOLAR ROTATION COMPLETION DAY!

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

One planetary axial rotation early, but cheers!

scribbs
    14505xp
    Cult of Games Member

Questions first

• Stupid project ideas: do you write them down, try to make them or just giggle at them internally? A little of all three, but probably a wry smile and not doing anything is most common.
    • Sourcing materials: what’s your #1 place to go when you need large quantities of “unusual” things? Scouring the internet to find things or reading up in forums/blogs where others source stuff is typical for me. But if I’m honest, I rarely have a need for ‘unusual’ things.
    • With Brexit now full in effect: did it influence your hobby? Have you switched to other suppliers or where you caught of guard and now you need to pay a buttload of taxes? I’ve not  noticed any impact yet, but I think that it is still hard to separate covid from Brexit in terms of shipping delays and stock unavailability. I haven’t experienced any price bumps in hobby related items so far.

Pledge is to finish painting up a shield for my viking berserker, and then switching back to the regular routine of working through my next batch of Napoleonics.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Maybe this weekend is one where I get some actual hobby done ?
    We shall see … I think I got everything I need now for reals.

Three questions there are … and three is their number.
    No more, no less.

1) Stupid project ideas: do you write them down, try to make them or just giggle at them internally?
    I would say that there are no such things as ‘stupid project ideas’ … but then not writing them down ensures they don’t come back to haunt you ?
    I mean … making them into a public OTT project is a sure fire way to get someone to tell you should ‘get on with it’ 😉

2) Sourcing materials: what’s your #1 place to go when you need large quantities of “unusual” things?
    I haven’t had the need for large quantities of ‘unusual’ things …

3) With Brexit now full in effect: did it influence your hobby? Have you switched to other suppliers or where you caught of guard and now you need to pay a buttload of taxes?

Haven’t ordered anything from UK websites (yet), but that’s more due to me preferring local webshops and a lot of procastinating after placing stuff in a basket.
    So far my research suggests that nothing changes except some fiddly details of who gets to pay what and when.
    I’ve seen kickstarters claim that VAT now needs to be charged, which is kind of odd as (IMHO) you’re not actually buying a product. Import taxes and duties were a thing pre-Brexit, but somehow the EU friendly kickstarters managed to hide that from us as backers.

I’m tempted to buy stuff from OTT just as an experiment … yeah, that’s it … a post-Brexit webshop experiment to ensure the buying experience is still the same.

Besides … I needs my supply of love hearts.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to finish the terrain crate stuff. Last week I got about half of it done.

1. Stupid project ideas: do you write them down, try to make them or just giggle at them internally? – They’re just a list in my head. I always end up sticking to the more sensible projects.
    2. Sourcing materials: what’s your #1 place to go when you need large quantities of “unusual” things? – Not something I need often (or at all, actually).
    3. With Brexit now full in effect: did it influence your hobby? Have you switched to other suppliers or where you caught of guard and now you need to pay a buttload of taxes? – If only it were in full effect. Here in the UK it is due to get worse for imports at the start of April and then ramp up again three months later. It has not affected me directly yet as I very rarely bought from international suppliers. The test will be when the next big Kickstarter delivers.

oriskany
    60733xp
    Cult of Games Member

Time for another of those very long battle reports in a system @sundancer doesn’t care aboiut.  😉

Panzer Leader – Brigade Level Game (Desert Storm – Battle of Al Jaber, 25 Feb 1991)

In this video we’re taking a look at Panzer Leader in a modern setting, using the “Tactical Command Middle East” expansion published by Toscash Miniatures.

This is an “uber-sized” scenario, where we put not battalions or regiments, but whole brigades on the table in an effort to really get a look at the true size and scope of modern combined arms warfare on a gaming table.

On the first day of Desert Storm’s ground invasion (24 February 1991), lead elements of the 1st Marine Division had shoved into occupied Kuwait, overwhelming the first line of Iraqi defensive berms, and covered the deadly ground between the first and second berm lines. Probing through the second berm line on the night of 24-25 February, Task Forces Ripper, Shepard, and Papa Bear were ready to spearhead an envelopment attack around Al Jaber airfield and shove through the AL Burqan oil fields. But at about 0515 hours, the Iraqis of 3rd Armored and 5th Mechanized Division at last mounted not only a stand-up fight, but also a determined local counterattack straight down this Jaber-Burqan corridor.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok so this is going to be fun… over the next week there will be daily videos on my YouTube channel… but they will be so called “shorts” which currently stir up the algorithm. At according to this bloke:

So, don’t worry. I’m not going nuts. Not more then usual.

Oh and this is my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL7x-bssjned7FJgh_6LLoA

blinky465
    17021xp
    Cult of Games Member

These “paint me like your minis” memes just never get old

152866522_4032594916751577_1256782800818239536_o

timchubb
    Keymaster
    3166xp

PXL_20210224_143827742

Bugger me backwards i have completed a weekender pledge (first time in about 3 years lol!)

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

The heavens will drop on our heads!!111!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer I’ve watched more than a few of his ‘game breaking’ videos.
    He’s soo damn British and serious while claiming that ‘game X is perfectly balanced’ (no it’s not … 😀 )

This one I saw a few weeks ago :

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)