Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Tiny *tiny* fighting men

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Tiny *tiny* fighting men

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

Introduce yourselves (New member thread)

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions:

• What miniature game did you play that had physically the smallest footprint on the table? Not just the board but everything around it with it (Cards, dice, etc)
    • Same question again but for the biggest physical footprint.
    • What size is the most comfortable one in regards to footprint?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Answers:

• I think it was a battletech game with only one piece of map to get the ball running. Other than that X-Wing and Legion on 3×3 maps. Though for Legion there is more stuff around the table I feel.
    • Back in the beforetimes… Warhammer 40k on a 6×4. Second place Legion with 6×3
    • To be honest: 3×3. I can sit down, reach everything and you can prop up a game almost anywhere.

Just because it flew through my notifications: did you say Space Dwarves?

Also some music:

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

early friday start 😀

1) What miniature game did you play that had physically the smallest footprint on the table? Not just the board but everything around it with it (Cards, dice, etc)

I’d say Xwing …. just the core set and the quickstart rules.
    If I had liked star wars and FFG had produced expansions in an order that made sense I might have played more.

2) Same question again but for the biggest physical footprint.
    That would have to be either Flames of War or Bolt-Action. I played both at the desert war themed BoW bootcamps.

3) What size is the most comfortable one in regards to footprint?

I prefer games that only need unit cards and one or two tokens (like order dice and pin markers for Bolt-action).
    Xwing has too many tokens to be fun if you play with the full ruleset (IMHO of course).
    Legion kind of suffers the same problem.
    It’s like Oprah giving out tokens : ‘you get a token and you get a token … ‘

If AMG ever gets the supply sorted I might look into completing the droid army I had wanted to start.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.
    My pledge is to start painting some Pegasus Hobbies ruins I’ve had for a good 10 years or more, although they’ve seen the tabletop umpteen times. I’ve already glued and undercoated them (just last week for both). I’ve been in a bit of a terrain kick recently so I may as well catch up on some older stuff while the iron is hot.

What miniature game did you play that had physically the smallest footprint on the table? Not just the board but everything around it with it (Cards, dice, etc)

Probably my recent games of Five Parsecs from Home which I’ve been playing on a 2×2 mat. This size seems nice as you are often only using up to 12 models in total.

Same question again but for the biggest physical footprint.

Way back in the probably early 2000s or even late 90s we used to play very large Warhammer fantasy battle games, 10 000 or 12 000 per side, with 2 players each side pooling their collective armies together. I remember one game where the lizard men couldn’t get all of their figures on the table during deployment and had to bring them on during the game as a second line. It was mad but a lot of fun.

What size is the most comfortable one in regards to footprint?

Probably 3×3. I’ve mostly play small scale skirmish games now and the 3×3 leaves more room of the table for important items like tea. It’s also faster to play.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

1) Smallest board would probably be Tannhauser… it’s a boardgame, but mostly skirmish with interesting line of sight rules.Rangers of Shadowdeep is a small board too, usually 2.5 feet square or less. Kill Team/Warcry small too.

2) Largest that I’ve played would be any Warmachine/Hordes, but of those still waiting it’s AoS.

3) I do prefer 3×3 games, 4×4 at a stretch. Gives me table space for dice rolling, drinks etc.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  pagan8th.

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

Wow this week went fast.

This weeks pledge is to paint some more celts. I might get into the garage this weekend to work on the egyptians but I somehow doubt it. Time is really tight for hobby at the moment.

1. What miniature game did you play that had physically the smallest footprint on the table? Not just the board but everything around it with it (Cards, dice, etc) – I guess Mordheim back in the day, though I suspect I still played it on a 6′ by 4′ table.
    2. Same question again but for the biggest physical footprint. – Age of Sigmar. I find I can only play it with both the full 6′ by 4′, plus an extra 6′ all the way round to house stat cards and reminder sheets.
    3. What size is the most comfortable one in regards to footprint? – 4′ by 4′ or similar I guess. Any further and it hurts your back to reach to the middle.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

No millitracks at Overloon this year due to Covid-19
    https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/en/events/militracks/

However I’ve got an alternative as a local museum has extra events this weekend.
    No tickets left for tomorrow (saturday) , but I may have a chance to get in on sunday.
    If all goes well I will report back. 😀
    https://www.wingsofliberation.nl/

nife2o4
    Participant
    31xp

Yay weekend! Never long enough and too far apart, but you are here now.

My weekend pledge is to assemble the necromantic horrors and doom lords blood bowl teams and maybe even possibly finally try to play Keyforge.

1. I’m thinking smallest area is Zombies!!! (had to look up the correct amount of !s) or X-Wing.

2. Largest area is the 6×4 for 40k, though Kingdom Death Monster does sprawl all over the place, even just in the gigantic box.

3. I’m going to go with Dreadball in the just right category. There isn’t much beyond the edges of the board and it is an easy reach. Freeform size, I’ll go with 3×3.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

museum visit done 😀
    It’s a tiny museum, but there was plenty to see. In part because there was a militaria market (mainly old junk, one of the stalls had soviet uniforms and medals) as well as reenactors in American, Soviet and German uniforms (the latter without insignia).

Seeing the toys in real life is interesting.
    The inside of the paratrooper transport was interesting.
    They had two gliders, one with a jeep inside as part of a 1:1 scale diorama and one to show what it looked like from the inside.
    It is a flipping wooden death trap and unlike the troop transport you can’t even stand upright. I can’t even begin to imagine what it must have been like back then.

I’ve made a few photos with my camera, but need to proces them before I can show them.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

I really find it interesting that most people never have played on mats smaller then 3×3 XD

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

DSC_0067

Monument dedicated to Joe Mann  ( https://www.cmohs.org/recipients/joe-e-mann )

DSC_0068(1)

TINY_P9190023

I wonder if this worked :
    TINY_P9190024

Inside of a horsa glider :
    TINY_P9190028

Mind your head … (or you’re dead)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  limburger.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

I finished the ruins so it’s time to paint those triffids for my Rangers of Shadow Deep games.

Also last night we played Rurik a board game my friend got on Kickstarter a year or so ago. It’s a fun game with an interesting set up mechanic which locks each player’s actions in a specific order for that turn. I lost baldly, but with a smile on my face.

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

A few days late to the party, but what is time anyway? I guess for a pledge I’m going to TRY and get some paint on the Team Leader for my Murder Girls, but I have a lot of papers to read this week and things to organise with school. Uni is a very strange place with all the restrictions and precautions, but I’m glad to be back in class.

Questions!

What miniature game did you play that had physically the smallest footprint on the table? Not just the board but everything around it with it (Cards, dice, etc)

Shadespire, probably, or Underworlds, or whatever it’s actually called. 😛 The boards are easy to fit on a coffee table and there’s not too many unit cards lying around. I guess it can get a bit cluttered by the end with all the glory tokens and such, but it’s small.

Same question again but for the biggest physical footprint.

40K, AoS, Bolt Action, any of those games, though I prefer to play at smaller points levels so it’s usually not too bad. Also playing Marines and Custodes in 40K means that I don’t have too many chaps. Also the fact that I build historical platoons in Bolt Action also means that I don’t have lots of small squads running around to min/max the rules. My Murder Girls army for AoS will be pretty big, though, once I get it properly started…

What size is the most comfortable one in regards to footprint?

Depends on how much time I have. If I play a small game I might be able to squeeze in two or three games into one gaming session, but if I do a massive game then it can go on for days…I prefer not to play those types of games…

Some music?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@crazyredcoat Mudergirls in AoS ?
    Are those Daughters of Khaine ?

crazyredcoat
    Participant
    13642xp

@limburger Yeah I call the Daughters of Khaine the Murder Girls. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)