Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Twenty-five years and my life is still trying to get up

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Twenty-five years and my life is still trying to get up

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

No, what’s wrong with you! 😉

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Roll20 Alien RPG was an experiment it was an experiment in mood, sound, and visuals. But the time it took me to put together a two-hour game (50+) from scratch. wasn’t really worth it for a two-hour game ( Alien RPG is a 3 act game, the adventure we were playing was a 1 (3rd) act starting adventure from the rule book.) the map I used although it was the official one for the adventure didn’t really work in roll20. I would use the system again. what also didn’t work as it was a new rule system I was GMing for the 1st time. so wasn’t 100% sure about the rules.

They’re in the walls man!

*pulse rifle firing sounds*

Tuffy

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  tuffyears.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

“nuke them from orbit … it’s the only way to be sure” 😉

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

But did they listen to her? No!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

[insert inappropiate joke about women that kind of writes itself … but let’s not go there]

Anyways …

if people listened to the smart guy in a movie then those movies would last 5 minutes … max 😉

Although the best hero-killing line has got to be where Amy (Big Bang Theory) points out that Indiana Jones was useless in ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ …

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good morning my dudes… Wednesday

I’m not saying I’m tired but man I really should have gone straight to bed after the uHH yesterday and not have a snack and 45 Minutes of “just one more video” on youtube…

ced1106
    Participant
    6204xp

> Do you treat every miniature as your next masterpiece?

I figure that the sculptor did their best, so I should do, too, not that either is always true. (: OTOH, I’m an innate min/max’er from my RPG days (: so look for efficient ways to paint!

> Is it ever ok to treat minis as disposible?

Depends on how disposable all your other luxury goods are. That said, Halloween is coming up. Instead of candy, give away your unloved miniatures, comic books, trading cards, and so on!

> Are you happy with your own painting style?

Never! (: I’m a glutton for punishment. Er… enjoy challenging myself and expanding my skill set. 😛

> If there’s anything you’re not happy with, which one thing would you change that would make the biggest difference?

Someone needs to invent a magnifying glass that doesn’t make the brush tip bigger. (: Oh, and contrast paint that removes mold lines.

> Do you have any particular colours/brands that you particularly don’t like when painting?

At least for advanced tabletop, I think contrast paints are a sham. I’ve been using Les Bursley’s wash recipe of matte medium, flow aid, acrylic ink, and water for over a year, so, yes, I believe Gooberhobbie’s contrast mix of matte medium, flow aid, and acrylic ink is all you need, particularly since contrast paints behave much like washes, rather than the falling for the hype and thinking you need some mysterious medium that you refuse to understand. It’s like my Dad who has to buy and store dozens of eight-syllable chemical cleaners rather than even try vinegar and baking soda. Also, as a painter to advanced tabletop, I’ve realized that I only need two shades of each hobby paint color (although I have colored primers as well) rather than the umpteen shades hobby paint companies try to sell you.

Of course, if and when MM sells contrast paint for under $2 a bottle… 😀

> What’s your go-to colour?

None. Much worse, within a line of paints, if I find a paint I like, the next may be one I’m entirely dissatisfied with.

> But do you ever smear your half-dried-out paint straight from the pot lid and think “ah, it’s only a little bit and the coverage will be better anyway”?

I start with colored primers then a wash, so I’m really starting with pre-thinned products. I do indeed paint from the pot (or cap!), which I’ve also thinned ahead of time, with a few drops of medium right in the pot. I also will drop hobby paints into pot lids, even if the colors aren’t exact matches. For eyedroppers, I also use hobby paints with plenty of flow aid, and thus are designed to be used from a dry palette. And I’ll use a brush-tip pen instead of paint sometimes. Lots of words to avoid the overhead of a wet palette, but I don’t need much skill, other than a steady hand, for advanced tabletop.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Holy flock what a stormy night… and wind is still very strong. And it’s already Thursday.

Current state of mind: Fus Ro ZZzzzzzzZZzzz

God, having a run with a video game like 10 – 20 years ago but at the same time being an old fart really drains your batteries. More coffee now. Good morning to all here.

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I also will drop hobby paints into pot lids

@ced1106 – you are a maverick! Brush tipped pens? Hobby paints? Homebrew contrast washes? My head hurts.

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Last night I took a group of video gamers thru the alien rpg on roll20. And they had a absolute blast. So I guess with roll20 it’s a Marmite experience

sundancer
    42560xp
    Cult of Games Member

Either that or I am just a grumpy old fart 😉 But happy to see that you enjoyed the experience

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)