Skip to toolbar

[unofficiall weekender] 'ere we go again!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficiall weekender] 'ere we go again!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 58 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Used a wash I made on the 3D printed terrain but somehow the wash went “wild”. Still looks decent enough as scatter terrain on a desolated planet. Also project updates.

IMG_20191005_220045872

Day 5

Anonymous
    0xp

Depends on how many Guinness I have while watching @limburger

woldenspoons
    Participant
    3557xp

Happy weekend all. @sundancer good man for saving us from vanishing away.

My pledge is to update my project. I did some background work for it yesterday and it would be nice to make some progress. I also need to finish my KoW Vanguard Forces of the Abyss but I’m struggling with them. In particular the bases.

Questions:

1) Making money work. How to you plan your spendings in the hobby? Do you plan at all?

I am on a small normal income and my wife is disabled so money is tight. I do my Pathfinder duties for mantic to fund my hobby but I do have a small monthly budget. I tend to have to build stuff up slowly and trade, sell or bargain hunt for anything else.

2) Painting at home, at friends or at the club? Do you ever move your base of painting operations? And if you in what quantities?

I tend to only paint at home really too. If I do go out I’d just take whatever I was painting and exactly the paints I’d need. I have to say contrast paints would be brilliant for this.
    3) Getting back into it. Everyone of us has had a phase where the hobby wasn’t anything we’d be doing. Either because of job reasons, growing family or just not being motivated. How do you get back into the flow?

My Facebook feed is flooded with mini gaming stuff and I have friends I only know through it. Although I’m in a slight slump at the moment I’m never far away.

I see a complete lack of tunes so far with the exception of the Almighty Pinky and the brain brain brain brain.

Hopefully a little something for everyone.

@robert I’m struggling to keep up with when Wales play, which seeing we just beat Australia, is a bad thing.

Been some incredible results this time round and I’m happy to see Japan doing well although I presume its going to be at the expense of Scotland.

Anonymous
    0xp

@woldenspoons It has been a hard time for Wales considering the betting scandal and one of their coaches being sent home before the tournament even started, so it is nice for them to get a win, though I do wonder if they had a bet on it 🙂  Ireland have been terrible this year, from Grand Slammers and stuffing New Zealand, to losing to Japan as the number one ranked team in the world.

Did you hear that 15,000 Japanese fans went to watch Wales train?  Most went home disappointed due to a mis-translation 🙂

lordsanes
    6512xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sorry folks I keep trying to post this but keep getting caught by the spam filter (I know it’s not that interesting but jeez)

@limburger I wish! I have to print both those guys off. I’ve got a druid from SPQR that looks identical to Getafix so maybe I’ll hit him next.

@robert Yeah, its a great movie. Super grim though, I wouldn’t watch it if you are in need of a pick me up!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  lordsanes.

Anonymous
    0xp

@lordsanes I’ll keep a bowl of ice cream near by if I do watch it!

Anyway… slime… still at the I’ve lots to do to this stage.

IMG_2519

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

Anyone else seen ‘Joker’ ?

It’s weird to see a superhero movie with minimal special effects (no fancy gadgets or outlandish weaponry) , but it works and it makes sense. I’d place it in the same style as Unbreakable.
    I’d love to see how a Batman would fit in this world.  This Joker is a bit too old to survive a fight with the Batman from the Nolan trilogy though. However it does explain the weird relationship Joker has with Batman because of *spoiler* in this movie.

The one neat thing in this movie is that they mention ‘super rats’ in the news … and they have a few scenes with a few really big rats running around in the background.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30750xp

@sundancer Sincere thanks for stepping up this week, very much appreciated mate.

So this weekend I’m squeezing in a bit of hobby here while the guys relax in the Cult Suite after a hard fought tournament (yeah it wasn’t particularly hard fought but did look fun lol)

I’m seeing little historical men and little boats get pushed around and lots of cakes.

20191006_132205

20191006_132219

And I’m squeezing in a chance to build some fantasy buildings I hope to use in an upcoming adventure with the little ones, that and I just felt like building some structures today – so I’m just going to go with the flow and not push into anything I don’t quite feel like at the moment.

20191006_132308

The buildings are some plastic Kits from Wyrd – and they rock! – nice solid buildings built for gamers.

I had a realization in the Scooby Van yesterday that Iron Maiden created the finest rock track in the world ever and it has taken me approx 31 and 1/2 years to realise it.

Ladies and gentlemens let me bestow upon you without doubt the finest metal track ever produced…

warzan
    Keymaster
    30750xp

Questions:

1. Making money work. How to you plan your spendings in the hobby? Do you plan at all?
      One word… Andrea! – We don’t have a lot left over for hobby stuff, so Andrea tends to build up a little pot of it we can use from time to time (mostly on prepainted monsters etc)
    2. Painting at home, at friends or at the club? Do you ever move your base of painting operations? And if you in what quantities?
      I built the portable hobby station for this very reason, I have no single place where I ‘feel’ like hobbying – so I try to keep it portable so I can allow my self to gravitate to the space that’s going to work for me at that given time.
    3. Getting back into it. Everyone of us has had a phase where the hobby wasn’t anything we’d be doing. Either because of job reasons, growing family or just not being motivated. How do you get back into the flow?
      Doing this exact thing today, and two things I’m doing, 1) just working on something that takes my fancy, no long term plans or deadlines, just enjoying the process of creating something. 2) engaging with this thread (it’s been a while, and if I’m honest I find this thread a little easier to engage with then its a bit quieter and a little less ‘heavy’ – that’s not a criticism of the thread but really just my mind space I find it hard to commit to things that require a lot of commitment lol)

Anonymous
    0xp

Sorry to correct you, Warren, but the 8th song of the Iron Maiden album Powerslave is the greatest metal song to ever be recorded.

When Moses wanted to show off, he parted the sea.  When Jesus wanted to show off, he walked on water.  When Iron Maiden want to show off they play… The Rime of the Ancient Mariner…

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sorry @robert but I have to agree with @warzan here. And to hammer that point home I present you my first metal west. (In Germany we call those “Kutte” (cut-te))

IMG_20191006_170115939

As you can see it hangs by a thread so I had to go make a new one. That I’m currently wearing. Every day.

IMG_20191006_170142178

There is still space left but getting good quality patches is rather hard.

And don’t mention it @warzan. I love this thread and I’d hate to see it die. Even if I can’t interact with it as much as in the past I’ll be damned if I don’t start them.

Anonymous
    0xp

@sundancer Snap!

IMG_2523

The swiggle is Bruce Dickinson’s signature – he came into a bar to met his friend before a gig in Dublin in 2003 and spent most of the time signing things!

I have a box of patches if I ever do another one… I got fatter and the Aces High one doesn’t fit anymore 🙂  Just need to find the right backpatch…

IMG_2524IMG_2525

warzan
    Keymaster
    30750xp

James Hetfield Spat a lugie on me once does that count?

So I have some priming done (did a little masking to speed up the paint job a little)

20191006_16202720191006_164113

Gonna give it all a spray can zenith now before working up to drybrushing 🙂

Anonymous
    0xp

Only if you haven’t washed since then!

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

Got to side with @robert on this one … ‘Rime of the Ancient Mariner’ is definitely one of their best, but then that’s using an existing poem written by someone else so it is a bit lazy 😉

Water, water, every where,
    And all the boards did shrink;
    Water, water, every where,
    Nor any drop to drink.

Although I’d would pick ‘the trooper’ myself, because of its lyrics :

And there’s this one :

Maybe it’s me, but I can almost picture the dogfight he’s singing about.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)