Skip to toolbar

[unofficiall weekender] Friday, I'm in love

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficiall weekender] Friday, I'm in love

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 35 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

And on time! Hah!

### Start of shameless copy & paste ###

Read all of this before you start as it will save any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

### End of shameless copy & paste ###

Questions of the week:

1. Timing in games: do you tend to overthink your turns and take ages or do you just go with your guts?
    2. Do “overthinkers” who take ages annoy you?
    3. Would using chess clocks change much in your favourite miniature game?

Music:

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

My answers:

1. I usually just “go” with it at the start. If I’m lucky and smell a real chance of victory I start to think about my actions but not that much 😉
    2. Yes, definitely. And it’s even worse in casual games because of my limited hobby time. As a comparison: when I play with my friend from my FLGS we take 3 – 4 hours for a 800 points game of SW:L. 2 Hours for a 500 points game. With a mate from the club I take 4 -5 hours for 800. If we even get to finish it and I don’t call it a day “early” because it’s past midnight an I have to get up a 5am.
    3. Oh yeah it would but I’d like to use it only in tournament so that noone is “eating” into other players time.

Now please excuse me, I’ve got some Pointy Views to watch ;;)

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

hey … stop stealing my ideas 😉

My pledge is to do some more research into my army of clankers (do battledroids have names ?)
    …  need to watch 1917 as well.

1) Timing in games: do you tend to overthink your turns and take ages or do you just go with your guts?
    I noticed that I was thinking in my opponents’ turn …
    and I kind of treat them as the thing happens in ‘real time’, so no time to optimize strategy.
    It might explain why I haven’t really won anything, but OTOH I did make them pay.

2) Do “overthinkers” who take ages annoy you?
    “Get on with it” …
    I’ve got limited hobby time myself as well.
    I don’t want to spend it waiting for someone to decide whether he should move his unit 4 cm or 5cm.
    Maybe we should force the chess rule of ‘you touch it / you use it’ ?

3) Would using chess clocks change much in your favourite miniature game?

I see value of that sort of thing in tournaments, because I’d want to be sure that everyone gets equal time to play with an impartial judge that can enforce time limits.

I haven’t played in any tournaments, so I don’t know what it is like in reality.

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hey guys.

Well my Venom for Marvel Crisis Protocol arrived this morning, so my pledge is to build and paint him and hopefully get a game in on Sunday too.

Mmmm questions are interesting this week and hit quite close to home.

1) I have a tendancy to think a couple of turns ahead… Have some idea of what im going to do if my opponent makes certain choices. So when my turn comes around i’m usually pretty quick on my turn.

2) No not at all. I know it does with a lot of gamers and some have been quite nasty to Matty (who does tend to be slow due to his having to refer to the rules/reference cards/statcards a lot because he struggles to retain so much information). Personally I think that your opponents turn is when you should be planning your own..

3) I agree that maybe in tournaments but if they were utilised in non-competative play kids and adults like Matty would be unable to play and get the benefits that gaming brings to certtain health conditions.

Sorry for getting so heavy

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sorry for getting so heavy

Don’t be. People like Matty are often forgotten because they are far and few in the hobby. So Kudos to you for making me think about people like him.

warzan
    Keymaster
    30469xp

yeah thanks for sharing @biggabum and it’s always a pleasure to hear how you and Matty are getting on mate 🙂

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer Yeah, it’s a shame though because his involvement in the hobby has been the best therapy he’s ever had. He saw a lot of psychologists when he was younger and we were told that he had reached his limits, but he can now count to 100, his attention span has gone from 20 mins to however long a game lasts (he even painted a few models and lasted 3 hours in one sitting), he is now able to read a rulebook and get the general gist of the rules and his speech has improved. When you look at the bigger picture, waiting that few extra minutes while he takes his turn is well worth it.

@warzan thanks mate, were all good, hope you and the family are all well.  Just so you know, Matty is now as happy as a pig in poo that you know who he is and has just told his mum that “The Warzan man from on the telly has said my name”.

dawfydd
    11886xp
    Cult of Games Member

ZMNxqjtQ

I’ve waited 20 years for these. Finally my Imperial Crusade can encompass all elements of the Imperiums militant arms…

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Then start them up 😉 Do we get a project for them? 😉

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@dawfydd looking forward to see how these turn out mate.

Well got Venom all glued together

DSC_0382

danlee
    22388xp
    Cult of Games Member

My pledge is to complete my Skitarii squad and play chapter one of Tainted Grail.

1) Timing in games: do you tend to overthink your turns and take ages or do you just go with your guts? I’m in the middle – I plan my actions but if it takes too long to decide I go on impulse.
    2) Do “overthinkers” who take ages annoy you? Only if I think they’re deliberately stalling to run down the clock.
    3) Would using chess clocks change much in your favourite miniature game? I think you can only use them in games designed were you never need to interact with your opponent in your turn. Most games require that your opponent do stuff in your turn (make reactions or roll saves, etc.) so you couldn’t use a chess clock.

benduncan96
    953xp
    Cult of Games Member

1) I’m more impulse rather than plan (I’ll have an idea).

2) I find that when I’m impulsive, it does make my kids think more as they believe that “I have a cunning plan” so they end up taking longer trying to figure out what I’m doing, which I find to be fun rather than annoying.

3) I wouldn’t use a clock personally but if the game required it then I would have no problem.

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

making progress (after a fashion)

DSC_0383

I have never been able to highlight black properly. I have had loads of advice but when ever I put it into practice it doesnt work for me (llooks great when others do it though) so I now dry brush up to a low zenithal highlight and then shade down with washes. its not great but compared to what i did before its 100 times better

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  biggabum.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Everyone operates at a different (thinking) speed, so that’s not a problem as such.
    It’s when people who ought to be smart enough start to overanalyze their next move that it gets annoying.

I’d have no problem with people being slow when they are either new to the game or have real reasons for not being able to cope with the complexity of games (foreign language can be tricky when learning games as well).

@biggabum that must feel like quite an achievement 🙂
    It’s always nice to hear how a hobby helps people do stuff that they or others thought would be impossible for them.

biggabum
    4565xp
    Cult of Games Member

@limburger it must do mate. I cant take any credit though, it’s been all Matty. Of course I’ve helped him where I can but there’s only so much I can do.

It is. In my humble opinion, if you tell someone they have reached their limits enough times they start to believe it, yet if you give them something to do that really captivates them, instead of going by the textbooks, they can go that much further… and I think that applies to all of us not just those of us with alternative needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)