Skip to toolbar
Mantic Games Goblin Army

Mantic Games Goblin Army

Supported by (Turn Off)

Project Blog by kharegim

Recommendations: 31

About the Project

As part of hobby goals this year I wanted to get a full mantic KoW goblin army done. The aim is to have 2000 points fully painted by the end of April! I'll be using a relatively simple painting method using all army painter method but I think it's necessary when you have to tackle almost 200 miniatures! Follow along as I get stuck in!

This Project is Active

And so we go to war

Tutoring 5
Skill 6
Idea 7
6 Comments

So to start off with I’ve got a heap of KoW minis and three mostly mantic armies, but it’s been a long term goal for me to get a mantic goblin army done. The reason? I love goblins and I know the current mantic ones get a bad wrap (I say current because mantic have teased some nice new hard plastic sculpts for release later this year). I still want to get ahead with my current army because A: I’ve got them already and B: I kinda love them despite all their flaws.

But enough about why onto the when and how, the aim is to get 2000 points at least fully painted by the end of April 2020, end of April is an arbitrary date I set because I reckon using the army painter method I can get 2000 points done in 4 months. The planned timeline is as follows, get them all assembled and primed by end of Jan and then start knocking out units by the end of Jan/start of February. The hope is one regiment/horde a week.

I’m addition to doing the models themselves with the army painter method, I’ll be using for the first time the Luke’s APS scenic supplies to get the bases done to a good standard relatively easily, I should also mention this is the first time I’ve gone with scenic basing so hopefully it all comes together in the end.

Now the two models that form the display picture are the two test models I did at the start of last year when the whole army arrived on my doorstep. To paint them I used all AP warpaints. I started by priming them in army painter leather Brown, then I picked out the metal with gun metal and weapon bronze. I painted the cloth bits with skeleton bone. I then gave the whole models a brush on wash with strong tone (I dont use the dips as I can’t get them work how I want so I brush on). After that I layered over the metal with claymore bladeblade b starting on the skin.

The skin was first basecoated with elf green before being layered with commando green and then given a final highlight of witch brew. I then picked out the nails and teeth with skeleton bone.

The hoods were next with a basecoat of Matt Black that was then highlighted with necromancer cloak before a final highlight of uniform grey. The eyes were picked out with dragon red and then given a fine dot of Mars red over that.

And so we go to war

The models were painted attached to their little circular tabs for ease of handling but will be clipped off to be applied to the multibases, though care must be taken not to snap off bits of their feet.

Now the project is currently in the building phase. Since the first of January (today’s the 14th here in aus) I’ve assembled all 180 of my goblin infantry and 10 fleabag riders and primed 110 of the infantry. I’ve completed at the end of last year a few of the multibases which you can see below. Though I’ll take better pictures tomorrow.

And so we go to war

You can also see in the above image a heap of the assembled and primed goblins.

Now the next step is to continue assembly on this mad quest, the plan is a regiment every day I’m free (I have work, girlfriend and social commitments also) but I think I can get the remaining nine units assembled and primed in 9 days or just after the 28th of January.

Stay tuned as tomorrow I tackle the second regiment of fleabag riders and prime these 70 goblin infantry which are asking for some love.

 

And so we go to war

Very late update

Tutoring 0
Skill 4
Idea 4
1 Comment

So this update is very late thanks to some annoying difficulties I was having with the beastsofwar site, essentially every time I tried to add an update it would crash and give me error 520… but enough about that, so since last time I have gone ahead and assembled my second regiment of mawbeasts riders! These are fun characterful models though I’d caution to keep an eye on all the small bits when you assemble these, but otherwise they tho together great!

Very late update

I also went ahead and primed all of my goblin sharpsticks!  I now have 180 infantry ready for painting… which is alot..

 

 

Very late update

I have also included a better photo of the goblins on their scenic multibase, these were done with a combination of lukesaps battlefield ready products and gamersgrass tufts, I’ll make a tutorial in a later update when I go ahead and do more of these!

Very late update

The next step which I hope to finish tomorrow is to complete the assembly of all my mawbeasts rider sniffs and assemble my last horde of trolls!

And they spat arrows

Tutoring 0
Skill 4
Idea 1
5 Comments

So today I thought I’d get some assembly done, but as soon as I sat down at my hobby desk with the weekender I realised today was a day to paint. So I gathered my first horde of goblin splitters and 6 hours later here they are, the first unit for my goblin army completed!

I had alot of fun painting these, and the satisfaction I felt  gluing the last one onto the base was well worth it! The next steps for this project will be to paint another horde, probably this time of sharpsticks. I hope to get those finished by Thursday as part of my overall plan to get 1500 points done by a tournament in Sydney in march and 2000 points by end of April.

Until next time, thanks for following!

Supported by (Turn Off)