Skip to toolbar
Resolution 2022: Hobby Bingo!

Resolution 2022: Hobby Bingo!

Supported by (Turn Off)

Project Blog by danlee Cult of Games Member

Recommendations: 40

About the Project

This year's resolution project will be to complete 25 units in a bingo style challenge.

This Project is Active

Moonstone's Diana Enraged, and Voth with Homunculus (40 points)

Tutoring 2
Skill 2
Idea 2
No Comments

Two characters that I got from the recent Moonstone Kickstarter. I particularly like the way the skin tones came out on the homunculus.

 

The red areas were painted with mephiston red, washed carroburg crimson, then highlighted evil sunz scarlet followed by wild rider red.

 

The purple areas were painted naggaroth nigh, washed druchii violet, then highlighted xereus purple followed by genestealer purple.

 

The yellow areas were painted iyanden darksun, washed casandora yellow, then highlighted flash gitz yellow.

 

Diana’s blue wings were wet blended caledor skyteclis bluecalgar blue, and fenris grey to get a smooth gradient from tip to body. I then used abaddon black to paint on a cell like structure.

 

Diana’s skin was painted bugman’s glow, washed reikland fleshshade, then highlighted cadian fleshtone followed by kislev flesh.

 

Voth and the homunculus’ flesh was painted waaagh! flesh then highlighted warboss green followed by nurgling green.

 

The darker browns were painted steel legion drab, washed agrax earthshade, then highlighted tallarn flesh followed by karak stone.

 

The paler browns were painted zandri dust, washed agrax earthshade, then highlighted ushabti bone followed by screaming skull.

 

Voth’s hair was painted celestra grey then highlighted ulthuan grey followed by white scar.

 

The magical vortex and Voth’s magical spell effect were simply painted with aethermatic blue.

 

The metal areas were then painted abaddon black, then leadbelcher, then washed with nuln oil. Then they were highlighted with ironbreaker followed by runefang steel.

 

The moonstone shards in Diana’s vortex were painted as metal but without the wash. Then they were painted with soulstone blue.

 

The bases were painted with stirland mud, drybrushed with tyrant skull, and the rims were painted with abbadon black.

Blood Angels Engineer and Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought (20 points)

Tutoring 5
Skill 5
Idea 5
1 Comment

For many years Blood Angels were the only thing I painted, but it seems I painted my last batch just before the project system went live, so I’ve never covered them on OTT.

 

Having just finished watching Angels of Death on Warhammer+ I really wanted to paint up an Engineer and Dreadnought. I already own several “normal” dreadnoughts so I went for one of the Forge World dreadnoughts.

 

The models were undercoated with Army Painter Dragon Red Primer. I then applied a pin wash of carroburg crimson in the recesses of the armour plates. Then I highlighted the red areas wild rider red.

 

Areas that were to be painted silver later were then painted abaddon black, as was the Engineer’s joints.

 

Bone areas were painted zandri dust then highlighted ushabti bone.

 

Parchment areas were painted baneblade brown then highlighted rakarth flesh.

 

Wings were painted celestra grey then highlighted ulthuan grey.

 

Lenses were painted caliban green, highlighted moot green, then given a wash of beil-tan green.

 

Silver areas were painted leadbelcher then highlighted runefang steel.

 

Silver areas were basecoated  zandri dust, then painted retributor armour, then highlighted auric armour gold followed by runefang steel.

 

Exhaust and flamer ends were drybrushed sycorax bronze followed by screaming bell.

 

The red teardrops were painted as for gold, above, then given a layer of spiritstone red.

 

The void shield nodes were painted as for silver, above, then given a layer of Army Painter Purple Tone.

 

The phosphex bombs were painted as for silver, above, then given a layer of soulstone blue.

 

Chipping on the dreadnought was achieved using wild rider red, followed by rhinox hide then adminstratum grey.

 

The bases were painted astrogranite, washed with nuln oil, then drybrushed with longbeard grey. The base rims were painted mechanicus standard grey. Finally the models were flocked a bit.

2022 begins

Tutoring 5
Skill 6
Idea 8
3 Comments
2022 begins

For those of you who followed my resolution projects from the last two years, you will know that I have now completed painting all the models in my “backlog”. That has left me free to pursue any models I want going forward.

 

So this year I’ve decided to set myself a hobby bingo challenge. Anybody who still reads White Dwarf will know that their studio staff did this last year as part of dealing with the pandemic lockdowns. A quick google revealed that the idea has been floating around for a long time in general though. Setting myself targets and almost arbitrary “to do” lists is what I enjoy so I think this will be fun.

 

Above is my own personal hobby bingo. I took the 2022 one from December’s White Dwarf but made some tweaks so that it suited my needs better.

 

First, its now system (and manufacturer) agnostic. Second, I expanded terrain to included dioramas as well. I did my first diorama a few weeks ago and quite liked it. Third, unit sizes assume 28-35mm, but I’m not limited to scale. So for example a 75mm character just occupies the slot of a large model.

 

When you think about it I will have to complete a model or unit every two weeks to get all 25 done in a year. Some will be easier than others but I will have to keep on-track to stand a chance of completing by the end of the year.

Supported by (Turn Off)