Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Guilty Pleasures

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Guilty Pleasures

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Questions:

• When not doing any tiny fighting men related hobby what are you doing in your spare time?
    • How do you feel when a different hobby “takes away” time from the miniature hobby?
    • Hobbies to intersect to a degree with each other (example 3D printing and miniatures) but are considered hobbies of their own. Do you have any active hobbies that do not intersect with the main topic at hand?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: maybe…. perhaps… ah who am I trying to fool here? PLAY MORE BATTLETECH VIDEO GAME!

Answers:

• Mostly video games, creating videos and consuming videos. And a bit of reading
    • Guilty at times but most of the times I just enjoy the other hobby way too much to care TBH
    • Nope, not really. Driving my little motorcycle would be one I’d like to pick up again but the engine is busted and awaits repairs :S

And now some tunes:

pagan8th
    Participant
    9572xp

There’s a Battletech video game?

sundancer
    42607xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hell yeah and it’s great!

https://harebrained-schemes.com/battletech/

It was a Kickstarter back in the day and I’m loving it. Turn based, hex field campaign.

zorg
    18736xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not as complex as the PC version? but I liked the PlayStation one.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9572xp

So basically it’s Command and Conquer Red Alert?

Lost interest in that style of game years ago. Always felt like the game could get along without me if I left it alone.

templar007
    52357xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: Working on my Hobby Studio.  Adding a straight-line laser overhead that will beam down over the table to show where the wind is coming from for Black Seas (and other sailing games).  Oh and it’s a motorized unit spin and tilt.  Remote controlled.  The metal support spanning the studio is already in place.  I just need to mount the motor unit and laser and run the wiring for charging and laser on/off.

Bonus pledge: to finally get my black background hung up behind the studio monitor to be more like the OLD ‘Beasts of War studio’s.  This project has been in the works for along time.  I have to move a lot of stuff around to get in there with that big background.  What a pain.

“Questions from the Forum Host”

Q) When not doing any tiny fighting men related hobby what are you doing in your spare time?

A) Hotrod building-custom auto body work [metal and fiberglass]+engine building, motorcycle riding currently a 1997 Honda CBR900RR – fast and nimble, astronomy, research projects of a historical nature (separating fact from fiction/lore) {this hobby tends to piss some folks off}, wooden model ship building, RC Aircraft building (these days more scratch building than building manufactured kits – I’ve built so many kits over the decades that they have gotten boring), plastic model building, and sculpting. Also I guess I need to add video making, but I’m not very good at it yet.  Still working on it.  I have more hobbies but you get the idea.  I have never been happy with sticking to just one.  Maybe ADHD?  Maybe just a lust for trying, learning and doing more?  My mind is not good with idle.

Q) How do you feel when a different hobby “takes away” time from the miniature hobby?

A) it’s ok.  Variety is the spice of life.  Most of my hobbies involve building/making.

{Was this a question or a statement?} Hobbies to intersect to a degree with each other (example 3D printing and miniatures) but are considered hobbies of their own.  A) most hobbies intersect if you look deep enough.

Q) Do you have any active hobbies that do not intersect with the main topic at hand?

A) I really do think most hobbies do intersect.  If pressed I’d have to say Astronomy?

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Friday.

My pledge is to paint more Core Space miniatures.

I’ve just finished painting the last six from the main box after getting painters block with some different sci+fi miniature. I also went out and got my first ten contrast paints. I’ve never used these until this week. My initial feeling is that it will help me block in colours faster and allow me to get onto the more fun (for me) highlights and final rendering.

When not doing any tiny fighting men related hobby what are you doing in your spare time?

I watch a fair bit of YouTube, play video games and read.

How do you feel when a different hobby “takes away” time from the miniature hobby?

Short term, I think it’s good to do something different for a change, if I go too long I start getting hobby guilt.

Hobbies to intersect to a degree with each other (example 3D printing and miniatures) but are considered hobbies of their own. Do you have any active hobbies that do not intersect with the main topic at hand?

I love to go for hikes in the countryside. Even then it reminds me of all the characters from fantasy novels that have gone on quests.

attackmack
    Participant
    20xp

So basically it’s Command and Conquer Red Alert?

Lost interest in that style of game years ago. Always felt like the game could get along without me if I left it alone.

What, no…Its nothing like Command & Conquer.

Its a turnbased, hexbased boardgame but on PC, loosely based on the Battletech rules but not an 1 to 1 adaptation. I havent heard of anyone who enjoys Battletech that doesnt find the PC game good, unless they dislike digital gaming as a whole.

A little late in the posting the announcement for the completion of last week’s pledge I’m dropping it here.

Pledge: Paint more minis and show them off/ annoy Gerry with more private project work

Most of my spare time is devoted to sleeping and recovery from work which, good news, I’ll be doing again soon. The de facto vacation from beating metal has been sorely needed.

I don’t mind doing my part time collecting of books but my collection has started to include minis related books. I guess there’s crossover there. Minis are by far less heavy to move when I take them from place to place.

Book collecting and language study are my non-hobby related hobbies. I took up the occasional pistol shooting from when I did security work.

Battletech game for pc is worth the time you sink into it and is definitely not as granular as the tabletop.

@templar007 I agree about the building bug. It has an element of ADD but isn’t it just more of looking for a dopamine fix here and there with getting distracted with the next “great idea?”

@demonsub Speedpaints will definitely help with blocking in colors. There is an issue with reactivation that Juan Hidalgo addresses.

demonsub
    12745xp
    Cult of Games Member

@horati0nosebl0wer Thanks for the advice. I’m actually using Citadel Contrast paints as that was what my local hobby shop had, although I certainly won’t rule out Army Painter Speed Paints. I know one or two people here have used them with little issue.

fourtytwo
    Participant
    12847xp
    • When not doing any tiny fighting men related hobby what are you doing in your spare time?
    • How do you feel when a different hobby “takes away” time from the miniature hobby?
    • Hobbies to intersect to a degree with each other (example 3D printing and miniatures) but are considered hobbies of their own. Do you have any active hobbies that do not intersect with the main topic at hand?

1. Building and scratch-building replicas of movie models (Star Wars). Playing P&P RPGs as well as preparing and gamemastering P&P RPGs (mostly story-driven narrative systems like FATE Core and always our own stories tailored to our characters). Occasionally designing something new for an existing game – like Jabba’s Palace for Legion currently. Watching movies and a few shows, or listening to music (many, many genres). Reading everything about visual design and visual effects in movies – something which is fascinating me since my childhood (it’s also bad since you always recognize the seams, no matter how well done it is).

2. Great – because the hobby I’m currently doing is always the one which excites me the most at this time.

3. Everything intersects with each other – and be it only in terms of inspiration.

I don’t play video games – like at all!

zorg
    18736xp
    Cult of Games Member

Perhaps you should @fourtytwo no painting or terrain building plus it’s fun.

fourtytwo
    Participant
    12847xp

Perhaps you should @fourtytwo no painting or terrain building plus it’s fun.

@zorg I have – very intensely. Total War Medieval (the first one), then Rome Total War (the first one), and then I dove head-first into the Mod Scene and joined the The Fourth Age mod team and created a whole campaign map for Middle Earth from scratch, unlocked how to precisely modify the battlemap-mode appearances of the different climate and ground types which opened up whole new possibilities for all mods based on that engine. This enabled me to create a visually accurate Mordor in battlemap mode. I also modelled completely new vegetation, created all ground textures from scratch, modelled new units, created textures for these units, created specific and iconic locations for the battlemap mode utilizing everything I’ve done before, implemented new climates for Mordor and Lothlorien etc. pp…

And then I was done with video games. 😀

zorg
    18736xp
    Cult of Games Member

Great stuff I always think it helps taking things out in games to calm down after a shity bad day @fourtytwo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)