Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] December

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] December

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• small, tiny, microscopic. What’s your favourite scale to play with tiny fighting men?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: To enjoy the season! Also maybe paint and make some Shorts videos.

Answer:

• Ignoring BattleTech (and X-Wing) for a second it’s all 28’ish mm for me. Just because it’s the most easiest to get. I really do want to dive into 6mm stuff but not historical and not 3D printing. I like my box on a shelf in a store please. That, sadly, limits choices really. But that’s a me problem especially since I really do enjoy the look of Full Spectrum Dominance and I am really wanting a physical release of that. (No not some bloke/friend/service printing it for me. A cast box version.) I know that @thelazyone said that they would “experiment a bit” but I’m staying realistic here. Maybe Armoured Clash in 2024 will make me go buy some smallest scale stuff.

Music:

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

Pledge is to try and stay warm… can’t game if frozen solid.

I have X-wing and Blood Red Skies, but hardly used them and like @sundancer pretty much everything else is in the 28-32mm scale.

Toyed with the idea of smaller stuff, but often the detail is not there and with my painting skills they will look like coloured blobs. And I don’t 3D print.

Only slightly smaller scale I have is War of the Ring and Star Wars Rebellion, but they are more board game than skirmish and I haven’t painted either.

gorram
    2590xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy month of festivities everyone! Pledge is to take it easy and just do what I fancy. Had some sad news on Friday and it’s definitely a weekend for doing stuff that makes the brain quiet… so far that has been gluing together mdf terrain. Maybe I’ll break out some more skeletons.

small, tiny, microscopic. What’s your favourite scale to play with tiny fighting men?

To half answer the question, I love 6 and 10mm to paint. To play, it depends entirely on the game system. I play more 28 because that’s what most people are into around where I live. Having said that, I’m very excited that there now looks to be 12-15 people interested in Legions Imperialis at our club plus others in the wider community. Given there were only four of us playing Full Spectrum Dominance before now, the ability of GW to magic customers is definitely something I’m happy to enjoy. Sadly my pre-orders from business daddy didn’t turn up today but given my mood, it’s maybe just as well.

no music from me this week but I have been binge relistening to the Murderbot Diaries books as a new one has just come out. If you like science fiction, they really are excellent. The series is by Martha Wells and is five novellas and two novels at this point.

gorram
    2590xp
    Cult of Games Member

Although, as you started it Tim with Shatner, I raise you a Christmas donkey

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

The world is white. The air is cold. Games night in doubt due to travelling conditions.

Bugger!

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge is to take it easy and just do what I fancy.

Best pledge @gorram

@pagan8th well now that you’re warm and potentially inside… you could… I don’t know. Paint some minis? XD

I’m staring at my chilly simmering for hours…. I really am getting hungry.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

@sundancer or I could let that pile sit there until it’s warmer, or I need something painted.

Given that I work in the cold for 8 hrs a day 6 days a week I’ll enjoy being warm briefly.

Admittedly 4 of those 8 hours at work are indoors… if you count wide open plastic flaps as doors… royal mail does not like heating the office we work in (or cool it in the summer)…

danlee
    22413xp
    Cult of Games Member

No pledge this week. It’s too cold to print my last raging heroes print, and I haven’t got the file because my final payment bounced. Just and admin error on my side, but it will delay the file a few days.

• small, tiny, microscopic. What’s your favourite scale to play with tiny fighting men? – Well I don’t really play anymore. I used to be 28mm focussed because of my routes with Games Workshop. I guess my favourite was the tiny scale of Battle Fleet Gothic, whatever that was. 1:10,000 or something equally stupid.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

small, tiny, microscopic. What’s your favourite scale to play with tiny fighting men?

I paint far more than I play. And I don’t actually paint that much either if I’m honest.
    I recently started printing my STLs at anywhere from 100% – 120%.

I’ve some minis from Artisan Guild and they are the perfect size/scale. But that puts them at about 35mm scale. So I print everything at that. It makes painting eyes a little bit easier. But also makes the super-tiny details look so much better.

I tried playing games at 15mm and they worked ok. But I’m with @warzan (the old Warzan of a year or so ago, who said tabletop gaming is all about the cinematic spectacle, not the new-fangled Warzan of a few weeks ago who said 6mm gaming is awesome). I like my minis to look god. At “heroic 32mm” is the scale for me!

Since we’re getting all seasonal so early on…..

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

I get the feeling the forums are more a place for builders and painters and less players? XD

Good morning everyone. Monday morning, we’ve got 2 inches of snow and everybody on the road is too stupid to account for the fact that snow and ice are slippery. On my way to work: one car crash (though almost funny because both cars slid into each other at a snails pace and almost nothing happened) and one [redacted cursing] of a car driver that tried to make me his car ornament even with me having way of right, green on traffic lights…. learn to break in snow and rain you [more redacting].

Stay safe out there lads and lasses.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I said you’d eventually become a cycling convert!
    You’ve only been on two wheels a few minutes and now *everybody* on the road is stupid 🙂

I got caught in the snow last winter, and slowly sliding a Transit van, sideways, towards the car in front, helplessly waiting for the inevitable bump (which never actually came, I managed to stop just inches away) was both terrifying and hilarious.

On a more serious note – many drivers are stupid enough even in good weather and when it turns bad, they’re like utter morons. Stay safe yourself.

And warm. Stay warm.
    Double socks, double gloves, woolly hat to keep your ears covered!

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Sorry to break illusion here @blinky465 My driving instructor told me “First rule of German traffic law: expect the others to be idiots” (Actually it states “expect others to do mistakes so drive in a way nobody gets hurt” but I feel his interpretation is much more accurate.)

Since I legally can drive everything from car, scooter, motorcycle up to a 40t lorry (and have done so) I can wholeheartedly say: everyone’s a cunt in traffic. Seriously. Zero exception. Every group has it’s loonys and mentally ill whackjobs.

And I’ve been shouting at *everybody* in traffic since I got the drivers licence for full fat trucks. “Yeah, you have way of right, but I didn’t see you (my bad) but also inertia and laws of physics are a thing and there is no way my truck will come to a stop in time. Better hold on!” People *always* forget that the other vehicle drivers are people too and guess what: we bloody all do mistakes. It’s just a handful of d*ckheads that behave badly on purpose. And if I’m on a bike I am more vulnerable than any car or truck so my self preservation should keep me from going “BUT I HAVE WAY OF RIGHT”.

Sorry, got carried away.

tl:dr: people are the worst, especially when driving vehicles

Now more coffee and work.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

My mind is in a Monday mood again and it’s making me make weird stuff. Sorry. XD

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – that is awesome! No apology needed.

It’s funny isn’t it – how most people, individually, are quite nice. But collectively, people can be a right bunch of dicks.
    Whatever the grouping; be it drivers, cyclists, fans of Games Workshop, haters of Games Workshop…. on a one-to-one level, a person can be awesome. But put them in a group and people are awful!

Here in the UK we recently (about six/twelve months ago) updated our Highway Code, to give cyclists and pedestrians right of way (actually it goes in order of vulnerability). It’s amazing how many knobheads there are out there, who insist they are in the right, as they drive like it’s 1982 (ok, not quite drunk, in a car with no MOT, with no seatbelt on, four kids in the boot and flicking fag ash out of the window, but you get the idea!).

Now guzzle your coffee and get on with your work! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)