Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] December

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] December

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

pagan8th
    Participant
    9858xp

I don’t drive. It’s a choice. I feel I would make a bad driver as I don’t tend to focus on walking, so travelling at 30+ mph would be more dangerous for others.

However… I am at times a passenger and in my experience the only good driver is one sitting next to me… according to them anyway. They criticise other drivers for doing something and when they do the same something… blame it on someone else if possible.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I drive. I love driving. Well, ok, when I lived in Wales and could travel the mountain roads, I loved driving (before passing my driving test, I had a motorbike and that was really quite liberating). I also ride my bike, quite a lot.

And while I love driving, a really, really hate traffic.
    And like everyone else, sitting in my car with the heater on and the radio playing, I love nothing more than to moan about being stuck in traffic. As if somehow, I’m not part of the very traffic I’m moaning about! There’s something about putting someone in a car – it insulates you from what’s going on.

For me – at least here in the UK – there are simply too many cars on the roads.
    Too many people making unnecessary journeys, but just too many damned cars. They’re everywhere! Parked on the pavements, “abandoned” along every street in the country (except, perhaps, in Polperro, Cornwall – I went there a few summers ago, where cars are banned and it was glorious). Fewer cars, please. And more bikes!

I know what you mean @pagan8th. When I’m a passenger, I’m often horrified at how terrible the driver is at driving.
    Nobody is as good as me behind the wheel. Says everybody.

redscope
    Participant
    2708xp

My pledge this week is :-

1. Complete building a forest.  I am working on a table for Silver Bayonet which requires a forest. Forests are pretty generic and can be used in most games.

2. Flames of war. I got through building a lot of tanks last month but I need to put some paint on them. My late war british army needs a few more comets so I have 5 of those to do.

small, tiny, microscopic. What’s your favourite scale to play with tiny fighting men? 

I am certainly in the 25mm group ideally when it comes to most games. That said the scale of flames of war fits better into 15MM because of the tanks at bolt action scale you can only fit 1-2 on the battle field. Even at 15mm on a 6 by 4 it can turn into a parking lot with some armies.

I know 6mm is all the rage at the moment but frankly… At least for me on a table I stuggle to tell what the units are on a 6 by 4 when i am stood away from it. It looks impressive from a mass rank battle but you lose the characters at that scale i think. Plus I am more of a painter or at least I paint more than I play. I cannot see the fun in trying to paint 6mm heck 15 mm troops are a pain at that scale.

I am trying to get inspired to do something for this Dungeon event but it just feels like the wrong time of year to start a big project. We are soon heading into Xmas holidays. The big problem is this weather it is just impossible to get outside to prime anything with rattle cans. I might just paint something from a Dungeon box game I have at least I can prime those with the brush if I have too.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Even at 15mm on a 6 by 4 it can turn into a parking lot with some armies.

Now you’ve given me an idea @redscope : “Parking Lot – The conflict game” Using gas land rules as a basis, try to get the parking space closest to the doors XD

it just feels like the wrong time of year to start a big project.

I think you’re not completely wrong there but it runs for a long time so you could now start planning and get to building in the new year 😉 Plus it doesn’t need to be a physical dungeon. Could be dungeon plans, paintings, a new rule set.

Good morning everybody, it’s Tuesday! (I think it is)

My pledge for this week is to clear the decks so I can get started on my Dungeonalia project. Clearing the decks in this case means finishing up some Shatterpoint models — I’m testing out a new (to me) paint brand (Pro Acryl) so we’ll see how it goes.

As for scale, for the most part I like 28mm because it’s the most common, and I like to be able to mix and match my minis and terrain. It’s especially useful when playing something like 7TV that covers a wide range of genres.

However, as mentioned above I have been painting stuff for Shatterpoint, which is around 40mm scale. As @blinky465 mentions above, it’s a lot easier on the eyes, and the larger scale does seem to lend itself to a more cinematic style of play.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thursday already. @jeffersonpowers  I feel you on clearing the decks and every time I start to do it I find myself sitting at the desk playing Skyrim again. Weird how that happens.

Have the rest of you lot cleaned your hobby space recently? If not, why not you filthy animals! 8)

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

Tuesday?! Where have you been?

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

My hobby space is currently a right mess.
    Maybe I’ll get around to tidying it up this weekend.
    In fact, I might go so far as to make it this week’s pledge…..

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

@blinky465 Tuesday? I do not know what you’re on about and I definitely didn’t edit my post to correct anything.

Tiding up the hobby space in preparation for Spring Clean Challenge XD

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – good job you didn’t, otherwise anyone reading this thread later would think one of us has lost our minds 😉

I think I’m just thankful to get to the end of this year, and we’ll start again in 2024.
    Spring Clean Challenge you say? Sounds interesting. I might just stumble across something while I’m tidying up and keep it to one side, in preparation for the Spring Clean Challenge. But then I guess I’m not tidying up. Because I’ll be leaving stuff out.
    Aaaargh!

Thwarted from tidying up. Again.
    I think I’ll just give up and have a biscuit.

gorram
    2590xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not lost your minds… just doddering oldies 😉

I think I’m just thankful to get to the end of this year, and we’ll start again in 2024.

Yeah 2023, especially the latter half, has been awful. Can’t wait to see the back of it.

As expected, hobby has been a bit light this week for personal reasons. The 3D printer also shit the bed which meant two projects stalled out but the replacement part arrives tomorrow. I did manage to sit with a quiet mind for a few hours tonight and paint some tiny space marines which was delightful.

sundancer
    42713xp
    Cult of Games Member

Friday my friends. It’s like the little Silvester at the end of the week XD New thread later today/tomorrow so look forward to that XD

Enjoy this clip in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL7x-bssjned7FJgh_6LLoA

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

Interesting article.
    GW are handing out £2,500 Xmas bonuses this year,  after profits went up 12%.
    Last Xmas they gave staff over £1k bonus.
    Whatever gripes people have about GW, I think this was a nice move by them.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I just got back from a local “light up for Xmas” event (in Shoreham-by-Sea).
    It was a lovely evening out. I’m still not quite feeling ready for the joys of Christmas, but I’m quite ready to give it a go.
    Anyone else ready to succumb to the Xmas spirit yet, or are we all still a little bit “bah humbug” until they finally show Muppets Christmas Carol on the telly, some time around the 23rd?

I seem to be on a two-year cycle regarding the Christmas spirit. One year I’ll be into it, the next I couldn’t care less, or worse, just find it a hassle. We don’t have kids or local family, so it’s really up to myself and the wife whether we do anything for Christmas or not.

In lieu of presents (we’re both adults with bank accounts so we really don’t need Christmas presents), we’ve been doing an advent calendar every year. Last year was a dice one from Q-Workshop (lots of new fun dice for our RPGing). This year it’s the Star Wars Droid factory. Each day you get a piece of a holiday themed droid model (really more of an an action figure). We’re still flush with Star Wars enthusiasm after a recent trip to Disney World, so it’s been fun so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)