Skip to toolbar

What do I clean resin prints with, given the unavailability of isopropyl alcoho?

Home Forums 3D Printing for Tabletop Gaming What do I clean resin prints with, given the unavailability of isopropyl alcoho?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  templar5836 4 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

I just purchased an Elegoo Mars 3D printer, but with the Covid 19 pandemic there has been a shortage of isopropyl alcohol. I have tried ordering it from Amazon and they will not have any available for delivery until the middle of April. The main reason I finally took the plunge into 3D printing was to occupy my time while I was stuck inside. Is there something else I could use as a replacement? I have tried using Mr Clean as it was recommended in a couple of places but it just does not seem to work very well. Any help would be appreciated

beccas
    Participant
    1146xp

Rubbing alcohol?  It’s found in the shaving section of the supermarket. I think it’s the same stuff but scented for using as after shave.  I use it to clean out my airbrush.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I would be surprised  if you can get any at the minute as it’s the main ingredient in hand sanatizer

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

Exactly… because of the demand for alcohol for disinfecting purposes it is generally unavailable, so i was looking for maybe an alternative ? I thought of ordering the resin that is water rinsable but that too will not be delivered for about a month with Amazon pushing the deliveries of non essential items back, all of which is understandable in these times. In the long run me being able to print to avoid boredom is no very important…..but i want to use my new toy

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

There is a product called “resin away” which according to the description is more effective than IPA, but the lowest price i have seen for it is $50 for one liter, so i was hoping there was something in a lower price range

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Magic-Undiluted-Packaging-Varnishes/dp/B01EG502M0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=yellow+magic+cleaner&qid=1585298091&sr=8-2

Found this if anyone is interested looked at some of the for of Form Labs and it is one of their recommendations. I ordered it from amazon, i will post my results after i receive it

hegemongary
    9790xp
    Cult of Games Member

I use methylated spirits, does the job well.

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yeah, I am going to try that too. My only issue is that it is very flammable if I am not mistaken (since it is regularly used as a fuel) and I am worried about storing a vat of it in my basement. I’m not sure how much more dangerous it is compared to IPA so I could be wrong to worry I guess.

How do you store the methylated spirits (denatured alcohol is the same thing here in the US I believe ), I’m assuming it is not a good idea to leave it in a plastic container?

hegemongary
    9790xp
    Cult of Games Member

I leave it in the plastic Tupperware container that I also use to soak my prints, it shouldn’t react to plastic at all as that’s the medium it is stored in for when it’s on a shelf and you buy it.

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks I will go to get some tomorrow if the hardware stores are still open that is

shingen
    13941xp
    Cult of Games Member

Similar alcohols are also ingredients of window cleaning products, but they are usualy mixed with other stuff including ammonia. Can’t say how those would work.

And maybe this will be of any help to you:

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

DPM – Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether – 5L for £30 from rdlabs.co.uk

I just got mine and have used it both as a bath to soak minis in and in my ultrasonic cleaner – both work well; the ultrasonic cleaner gave me some of the crispest prints I’ve had (although I also dropped my exposure time down from 10s to 9.5s so it’s probably that as well!)

It *does* leave the minis feeling a bit “oily” straight out of the bath and, unlike alcohol, it’s designed not to evaporate too quickly (glycerol is the main ingredient in vape juices, so that’s the kind of feel you get). I rinse my minis in soapy water before priming anyway – I now just make sure I do it as soon as they come out of the bath, so they don’t get a sticky residue drying on them.

randomdiceofdoom
    Participant
    1300xp

Have you tried a cheap bottle of vodka ?  It may work ?

templar5836
    3327xp
    Cult of Games Member

You shouldn’t waste vodka like that!

I bought some denatured alcohol and it works perfectly, but it smells terrible.

Thanks for all the help. Now I can hopefully keep my sanity in the coming weeks shut up in the basement churning of miniatures

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)