Skip to toolbar

Kickstarter: Wowstick – Powered pin vice for hobbying?

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Kickstarter: Wowstick – Powered pin vice for hobbying?

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  brand 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17024xp
    Cult of Games Member

My wife has a genuine Dremel and it’s much quieter (and tbh, smoother) to use. But the cheaper clones are still perfectly usable – if not a little noisy 😉

ced1106
    Participant
    6209xp

Check the comments on their previous KS. Seeing delivery complaints, and products not working correctly in their first KS. Best to wait for retail and reviews, even if you have to pay more.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/imezing/created

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Against better judgement I backed it… let’s see what happens. This will be a interesting experiment.

refersent
    Participant
    152xp

Oooh, he looks so cute. I have not tried to work with such

jodain
    12433xp
    Cult of Games Member

So I received my Wowstick today, nicely packaged along with my second set of bits.  I decided to give it a go and cracked out the 9mm drill bit and a PP plastic warjack which had an arm that had come off.  The drill went in smoothly and drilled a nice hole quickly.  Certainly quicker than I would have done by hand.  Yes I also have a cordless dremel, but this is so much smaller and neater as a package.  I will keep using it and see how long it keeps going for.  Overall, for the first try I’m happy with my investment.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Mine is still en route…  I guess it’ll arrive within the next two weeks… because the delivery address is the office.. and I have the time off XD

kiranamida
    5783xp
    Cult of Games Member

So I took @avernos‘ advice and ran mine through some scrap sprue as there’s nothing on the table that needs drilling the moment and I will say: I like it for what it is.

It’s not a replacement for the like of a Dremell but I don’t think it was ever meant to be. It also doesn’t do anything I can’t do with my hand pin vice but what it does do it make it so much easier.

I have some joint problems in my hands and usually, it would take me 10 to 15 minutes to accurately get through the depth of the sprue as I am quite slow. This went through in about 10 to 15 seconds with a clean profile. Even the ability to drill a pilot hole with this and then widen it with the hand tool (something I already do to ensure everything is nice and lined up) is gonna make my life easier and allow me to get through more drilling in one sitting before I have to take a break.

Is it going to revolutionise my hobby? No. But I’m getting older and this is going to be a great convenience. I’ll be happy to have it amongst my tools and am looking forward to making use of it.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

how was the weight, I know on my old dremely multitool thing there is a lot of weight at the rear that can make it unwieldy, and inaccurate if in a rush?

kiranamida
    5783xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not too bad. Kitchen scale says the whole thing is 48 grams, lid included. Holding it in the hand the weight feels centred around where it says “Pen” down the side which seems to be supported fairly well when holding it.

wow stick

Even holding it right down at the front doesn’t feel desperately unwieldy.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

cool, sounds like it should get a lot of use then, maybe when my Woolworths dremel goes to the hobby cupboard in the sky I’ll look at getting one myself

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Now I’m really looking forward to mine… and I think I might have a use for it right out of the box… if the Adult Red Dragon needs pinning…

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s nice to see it at least somewhat usable.
    Altough I remain unconvinced of its long term use.
    Can the battery be replaced by consumers ?
    Because if that degrades then what little power it has is gone.

sundancer
    42596xp
    Cult of Games Member

Judging by the artwork on the kickstarter page the parts are “of the shelf” modules. Looks like a normal AA or AAA sized battery. Will see if I can “Big Clive Dot Com” it. 😉

Received mine too.

It’s light, easy to hold like a marker pen, and isn’t drilling too fast.

It’s an electric pin drill, and exactly what i hoped it would be.

As for the battery, if i use it enough to wear out the battery, I’ll have got my moneys-worth. And it’s not something i worry about on other devices either.

brand
    1821xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well, there is this: https://www.amazon.com/74041-Tamiya-Electric-Handy-Drill/dp/B01LX208SY/ref=asc_df_B01LX208SY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=278144423463&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6857423368359550863&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011192&hvtargid=pla-439890746126&psc=1

Probably not as durable, but it’s pretty good for models and mdf. And there’s something amusing about putting together a power tool from parts you clipped off of a sprue.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)