Skip to toolbar

An Idea for Pointless Views or the Weekender/XLBS

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion An Idea for Pointless Views or the Weekender/XLBS

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  torros 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

I second that are we going to be invited to Pointless Views as I have an idea for the show, Alternative History and What Ifs. Also could add in Imagi-nations into the mix too.

I know some of you know I am invested in 1938 A Very British Civil War, which is a What If scenario that has turned into a Alt History world and the fun of taking a real life event and turning it to it side and seeing where it can go. This works so well for Historical games and should be an easier matter of, continuing with a theme, taking a historical event and making it fit into a fantasy, Sci-Fi setting. I see this all as the same thing really.

The to quote @warzan “Gaming in the Gap” part of Alternative History is fun. I mean actually most historical gamers do this without even thinking about it, unless they are refighting an actual battle or campaign, with I have these Athenian Greeks and you have Republican Romans, lets fight to see how is the better force.

But taking an event or a string of events and twisting it a little to see where is goes I personally find very interesting. There are a ton of What If moments in history that could lead to some very interest different outcomes and with a dash of fantasy or sci fi could even make and clever and intelligence game there.

Adding Imgi-nations into the mix, the taking of a historical period and making up forces and countries to battle and war against each other, it opens historicals and other genres up to your other creative mind.

What do other people thing?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33467xp

mmmm I like it

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

I like the idea but my issue is that you need so much knowledge of the period to make it work. KaiserReich does it well but it’s very lonely in the genre

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

I disagree about needing a ton of knowledge as before I got involved in VBCW I knew next to nothing about the interwar and face of UK politics in the 1930s. But after reading a little around the subject I got a feel and flavour for the period and started to work out ideas and scenarios. In fact the research was on of the things I enjoyed and actually we all do that for the games we play.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Good idea Pete.I like it

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

What attracts me to historicals… is the history.

Making it up just makes it fantasy to me. I never really got the whole imaginations thing.

But I’m on the rivet counting end of the spectrum.

bigdave
    3704xp

I do think it helps to have some grounding in wholesome historical knowledge but if you’re playing a what if from some sort of film you’ve seen, some book or comic you’ve read then have at it. As much as I like recreating battles, what if’s are an important part of my hobby. I’m an avid reader, I’ve a degree in history so for the button counters I can understand the abhorrence towards the idea but I love looking at sensible, well grounded alternatives to the timeline. US invading mainland Japan in WW2, General Lee being able to avoid the catastrophe of Antietam, the Royalist cavalry arriving to the field on time at Preston, the 1715 uprising could have been so easily re-written, Battle of Bosworth – rather than the suicidal death ride, King Richard charges his retinue into Oxford’s right flank and crumbles the line before Stanley decides to commit (standard Total War tactic tbh haha). What about Battles like Baden? Arthurian legends are grounded in history but recreating any of it is little better than fiction.

Totally support the move – even more so if it introduces people to new genres, new eras of history.

panzerkaput
    33931xp
    Cult of Games Member

I couldnt agree with you more @bigdave as to my mind that is more historicals is totally about. Please dont get me wrong as historical games should have a grand basing in the period played, but it shouldnt, in my opinion, be a straight jacket to playing the game and having fun.

Moreover, Imagi-Nations is an important part of wargaming history with the like of Donald Featherstone, the father of modern wargaming, bring the 18th century to life and the likes of Henry hind, ex editor of Battlefront magazine and his article in Wargames, Soldiers and Stationery magazine, The Wars of the Faltenian Succession, shows that the creativity of this genres is fun.

Thinking about is the OTT team here have done this with Llyodslavia for Team Yankee and this shows that taking a sideways look of a period can open up a world of imagination and possibilities.

Even the likes of the Perrys’ have done this with their ACW range and the British Invention force that could of invaded the North helping the South their civil war.

That why I love the what if

bigdave
    3704xp

Damn right @panzerkaput – those British Intervention Force mini’s are great. Tried to kitbash some leftover sprues into some myself, Canadian militia from the normal ACW sprues, converted some Napoleonic Highlanders and Hussars, even did some Mounties (granted, few years earlier than real life). French Napoleonic Great Coat Middle Guard from Victrix have proved to be a surprisingly useful base for a French force I’ve put together – can’t wait to get them painted up. Would Pickett’s charge at Gettysburg have gone differently if the division had been replaced by French regulars?

Imaginations are a fantastic route for stuff like Warlord’s Marlborough’s Wars range – Too Fat Lardies did a great job with their Army of Strudelsheim. Really let your imagination run wild with 18th century uniforms…

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think a good imaginations would be a successful Spanish landing after the Armada

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)