Skip to toolbar

Battlegroup Northag – Questions & Answers

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Battlegroup Northag – Questions & Answers

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  piers 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

Battlegroup NorthAG is released today, so I figured an area for anyone to post up questions or queries about the game would be handy, and then they could hopefully get their questions answered by PSC.

One of the most asked things recently is the new material for the 10mm tanks and how it holds paint… this video shows just how durable it is. The model was painted with normal acrylics, with no primer undercoat and no varnish…

Our very own Mr P took a little video of the new Chieftains and how useful Ultracast is in making sure you dont lose a tank barrel ever again…..

Geplaatst door The Plastic Soldier Company op Vrijdag 1 mei 2020

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

Morning Piers.

I haven’t played Battlegroup so please be patie5

Is there spotting and hidden movement  in the game?

Could if possible describe a basic turn and the phases involved and maybe a brief outline of the combat mechanics

Cheers

Anonymous
    0xp

Does it matter how infantry are based?

Do you think after Europe, you would consider other parts of the world?  India v Pakistan for example.

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

@torros

The Battlegroup system has two modes of firing – Aimed and Suppressing.

With Aimed Fire you have to ‘spot’ the target each time, representing the crews ability to try for a killing shot through smoke, dust and general chaos of the battlefield. We assume all troops are trying to hide and make themselves a small target on the battlefield.

Suppressing Fire does not need to spot and its purpose is to pin down, rather than kill a unit. Pinning is very important in game as a pinned unit can do nothing until chits are taken to unpin, which in turn degrades a forces Battle Rating – their overall morale and army endurance.

A turn is a number of orders, rolled on a number of d6 according to force size, or a picked set number… a player can choose.

The player then activates units till they use up their orders. Units can do various things as well as the usual fire and move. Some units may have a communications role, other engineering etc.

The other player may also interrupt a players turn if he has units on orders that allow it – such as Ambush Fire. This keeps both players invested in each turn all the time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  piers.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

@piers Thanks

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

@robert

Basing makes no difference, and nor does model size really (except the bigger the models the bigger the table).

All Battlegroup games are scale agnostic – play with what you like.

We use 10mm for NorthAG as it’s a nice bridge between 6mm and 15mm which to us has the best bits of both sizes. But the rules are designed to work with anything from 6mm to 15mm, and even 20mm if you have the room.

As for developments of the game, I touch on that in my interview at 5pm today so wont say much here…. 😉

Anonymous
    0xp

Thank you!

Anonymous
    0xp

Question about the ultracast material… obviously it has great flex, memory and durability from your video, but have you found that barrels are generally straight to begin with, and could any bent barrels be “fixed” with hot water or some other method.

Have you painted any of the infantry yet?  What is your opinion if so?  Apologises if these have been answered elsewhere.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

So we’ll have to wait and see if Dutch troops will be in the game ?
    damn …

Anyways …
    Do we get to add non-traditional troops like Battlegroup with their signals and radio operators ?
    What about CASEVAC and MEDEVAC ? (yeah, me learning new words thanks to OTT ;-))

Is electronic warfare a factor in this game ? Or is that an off-board effect like artillery ?

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

@robert

Of the barrels I have had, the ones which were a little bent just straightened with my fingers. Not had to use hot water on any, but I imagine it would work.

Painted infantry pics…

FB_IMG_1588512082689

I like the infantry models. They are the 15mm ones reduced down and done in Ultracast. Some mouldlines on a few but nothing that notices on the table… after all alk they are only 10mm foot to eye.

Ultracast stuff paints up very well and easy. I’m waiting on my British starter box to arrive and then I’m going to do myself an entire British force to go against my Soviets…

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

@limburger

Like its WW2 cousin, everything has a role on the table and everything you expect of the Cold War period is featured.

Electronic Warfare, NBC, radar directed artillery fire, artillery dropped mines, gunships, fast-air… it’s all in there in some way within the confines of a combined arms Battlegroup game.

Dutch will feature in the CentAG book which is a book of lists for all other combatants.

Anonymous
    0xp

@piers thanks.  the infantry look great!

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice …  and a good excuse to wait for the expansion 😉

sikil
    Participant
    358xp

@piers

Will Swedish forces be added down the road?

piers
    Participant
    25463xp

@sikil

Well both me and Woz want S-Tanks to play with… 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)