Skip to toolbar

Calling All Hobby Heroes – A Hobby Holiday Weekender Type Thing

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Calling All Hobby Heroes – A Hobby Holiday Weekender Type Thing

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 185 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  evilstu 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)
  • Author

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

So, the holiday season is now upon us. Cue the terrible Christmas movies, celebrity covers of carols playing in shopping malls and too much sugar in all the food.

And with the holiday season, a change in routine. Rather than the usual Weekender thread for the next couple of weeks, instead there will be the Weekender – Holiday Edition. Yep, I had a team of crack marketing gurus workshopping that name for weeks. Actually on reflection they may have just taken the cheque for my retainer and disappeared down the pub… Look, that’s probably not important. The important bits are as follows:

1.       Scottish pub rules – no religion or politics.

2.       Be respectful and considerate of your fellow community members.

3.       No points, no predetermined questions, no winners, no pressure. If you haven’t joined in the thread before, maybe consider chiming in now. The thread will be running for two weeks this time around so there’s plenty of time to chat with one another and see what everyone is up to.

But no questions? What should we all talk about? Well, are you getting a break from your usual routine? Are there any hobby projects you want to get to over the next couple of weeks? Anything fun you have planned? Any hobby plans for the year ahead? Feel free to make it all up as you go along…

Please post lots of tunes, photos and hobby anecdotes. And the more terrible the puns, the better.

So without further ado, let the holidays commence!

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

As this is my last day of work for 2018 I’ll be spending a lot of time with family and maybe even friends. That being said that also means I’m a lot less at the PC. I’ll check in every now and them but more in the evening.

But don’t worry, I’ll wrap some puns for you all. Like this:

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

Well I’m working through the Christmas/new year period but still planning on getting some hobby in. Warhammer Total War 2 has me wanting to do all sorts of small themed forces out of all those old minis that have piles up in random boxes over the years, so that will probably be my current focus. If the rain stops for a bit might be able to get some stuff primed, otherwise probably some more assembly. And I guess trying to convert old 6th ed WHFB army lists over to an 8th ed format. Iv’e been meaning to get the ball rolling on some write-ups on the project system as well so someone please feel free to point at me and call me lazy if I don’t get a start made on tha. Plus also last minute wrapping of gifts I guess, for it is the holiday season and I am apparently disorganised…

By way of apology for the opening earworm, here are some tunes with video clips I really like – because why not?

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer 45 seconds in and I already want one of those elves! have fun spending time with friends and family!

elessar2590
    18201xp
    Cult of Games Member

Big thanks to @evilstu for hosting this Christmas thread.

I’ll be finishing off my Basic Impetus Romans then my SSU for Dust that just arrived from the US.

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hello all. It’s been a while since I got involved in one of these.  Over a year in fact.  Life’s pretty tough right now and I don’t really get much time to myself at weekends because that’s when I get to see my daughter.  But rather than getting full weekends I get this really awkward Friday night to Sunday morning thing which basically just blows up the whole weekend every weekend.  I’m going to try and change it in the new year but unfortunately it’s going to take money to do, money I just don’t have at the moment.

But it’s Christmas and things are a little different.  There’s going to be days when I do very little.  And days when I get some time to myself to indulge in hobby.  So I’m stepping into Christmas Hobby Weekender.  I would say it’s a special guest appearance but I wouldn’t wanna get anyone’s hopes up.  So I will make a few Cameos here and there as I try and reconnect with part of Beasts of War that I used to love so much .

So let’s get some caveats out the way.  I actually have a reall busy schedule from now until the day after Boxing day.  This evening, hopefully, will be an evening spent playing either Conan Boardgame, star Saga or Imperial Assault (I will let my guests choose).

Tomorrow I shall be mostly going to see my lady friend, who due to circumstances I don’t get to see nearly as often as I would like.  We have a very special evening planned at a black tie event (I will post pictures before we go) so probably no hobby tomorrow.

Then on Sunday I have to go and visit family before I go on a tour around the Etihad Stadium (a birthday present) and after that I collect my daughter and she’s staying with me on Sunday evening.  I might get a little hobby time when she’s in bed.

Monday my cousins are arriving from London and we will be spending the day with them – they love seeing little Katie so that should be nice.  My daughter goes home before bedtime and then Christmas Eve will be spent mostly roasting various meats ahead of Christmas Day.

Christmas day I will be going out for Christmas dinner and then putting on a buffet (consisting of the aforementioned roast meats) for all the family.  So no hobby although should any hobby related goodness appear under the tree I.shall of course present evidence here.

Boxing day my little girl gets a second Christmas so will be going to my parents with her.  And then we usually have another party with games and general silliness so no hobby.

Thursday should be a little quieter although I will still be the responsible parent so won’t get much hobby done during the day however Katie is usually in bed by 7pm so hopefully I have some time then.

Friday 28th I take my daughter home and I have a whole 2 days to myself!  I am trying to arrange a d&d session on one of those days and the rest of the time I shall be painting.

Sunday I collect my daughter again and have her until Monday evening. However I haven’t actually made any plans for New Years Eve. Hand on heart Christmas is proving to be a massive struggle this year, first one since I separated from my wife. I know that after Christmas I am going to be so drained that I honestly can’t face it a second time. So I shall spend New Year’s Eve quietly and will probably crack out the paint brushes and just focus on that.

So that’s my hobby times. What can I actually do in that time? Well I have several projects on the go. The first is some vehicles by Kore. Some of you may remember the LARC VTOL and
    Tabletop Vehicles
    Kickstarters from the last couple of years. I had been slowly painting mine and posting on their Facebook group. I received a message from Kore around about June asking if I would like to be their official car painter. We had a bit of a chat about it and what I could and could not achieve given my circumstances and available time and we came to an agreement. Generally speaking I don’t do commissions but this is a very, very informal arrangement, I have full artistic licence, there’s no pressure and so it really works for me. Also, it really helped my then failing self esteem and gave me a little bit of focus. I have 2 more 32mm scale cars to do and then a set of 15mm scale vehicles which I really want to finish by the end of the year so he can have photos on his webstore and a set of models to take to shows and conventions. Next year I have offered to help Kore paint some of their most recent Kickstarter, their Large Vehicles (some really impressive models) as well as already having been supplied with some 3D prints of their next Kickstarter, Sci Fi vehicles, which I cannot reveal but can assure you are absolutely amazing. The intention is to paint them before the Kickstarter launches so that is REALLY exciting for me.

Then, in order to take breaks from the cars, I am working though Imperial Assault still. The next one to be painted will be Greedo and, as a character model, he will get extra effort spent on him. But there is an assortment of models to be painted for Imperial Assault and so I have a lot of freedom to paint a large variety of miniatures.

And so there you have it. For onr week only, @onlyonepinman is returning to the Hobby Weekender 🙂

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Here’s a little something I already started.  The two Rodian hired guns are sort of practice pieces for Greedo, who is overall a much better model with better sculpting and details._20181218_220826_20181216_220853

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Oh and one last thing.  As a sort of cathartic exercise, I am planning to write a “year in review” in the Projects looking back month by month at what I managed to achieve.  Because this year has been really disrupted and it’s too easy to only see the bad stuff when I know that I have actually managed to do some pretty amazing stuff during that time.

Lol… exactly what I need before heading off to the tedium of work

It looks like what might be going on here with as twisted as the musical selection is

I’m reminded of what zaniness ensued on The Muppet Show… just set it to hip hop turntableism

Everything that Rammstein’s “Sonne” could have been in a much happier tone

Naked robot dancing! Egad!!!

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

In other hobby related news …

This morning I reluctantly subjected myself to a trip into my local town centre.  I didn’t want to go but there were a couple of last minute items I needed.  I got out just in time it would seem because after stopping for a coffee at 10:45, when it was reasonably quiet, I left the coffee bar at 11:30 to find the place had descended into abject chaos.  Still, despite that and a nightmarish drive home (twenty minutes to drive 3 miles) I had an unexpected parcel waiting for me…

DSC_0167

I will leave it shrink wrapped for now and unbox it later when brother is here as we backed it jointly. Still, a nice surprise after dealing with the horrors of christmas shopping.

jodain
    12433xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu thanks for hosting this Christmas Special.  Hopefully I might get some hobby time over the next couple of weeks.

We have my Dad staying, for the first time after mom died in August, and then we are dashing off to see the in-laws over New Year.  Still I might find a couple of hours to do something.

Tonight will be hobby time as I go out to play a game of Star Wars Legion with a friend, I’ll try and take a few pictures of the game to post up.  Otherwise some painting to finish a couple of things off, and hopefully some time assembling my Christmas present of a TT Combat gaming table (the 1 foot squares).  Need to look to add some magnets as our dining table is only 3’6″ wide!

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

@elessar2590 sounds like a solid amount of hobby. How are you finding Dust? It seems to be getting a lot more traction since things have settled down a little production-wise.

@onlyonepinman welcome back 🙂 Sounds like you have a fair bit happening presently, please feel free to dip in and out of the threads as often as you like – no pressure here 🙂 Sounds like a really positive plan to keep a hobby log of what is getting achieved – I think we all have a tendency to gloss over what we actually manage to get done. And congrats on the contact with Kore. Rodains look really solid – can’t wait to see what you can achieve with Greedo. Best wishes for the time with your daughter.

@horati0nosebl0wer heh I saw the Avalanches live a couple of years ago (ok, it was actually a couple of decades ago…). Complete anarchy on stage – a really fun show.

@jodain TTcombat gaming table? Sounds like a lot of PVA in your near future then. Hope Legion is good fun. Enjoy spending some time with the family.

Now clocking six nights bad sleep in a row so smashing out terrible instant coffee. Figure I must just be excited for Christmas or something 😉 Once the sun is up I might go and see if I can get some hobby kicked off at least…

onlyonepinman
    18053xp
    Cult of Games Member

Believe me I have dipped in as often as I am able but less than I would like i.e. not at all (that didn’t sound quite as good as bilbo’s leaving speech).  But that’s just the way it’s been, not much can be done about it now.  Anyway things are in full swing tonight.

This is Ian unboxing Resident Evil 2

DSC_0173-1896x2528

This is quite a nice touch and it’s in keeping with the Dark Souls board game that greeted you with “You Died”
    DSC_0174-1896x2528DSC_0175-2528x1896DSC_0177-2528x1896

_20181221_171319-1921x1339

And now for some Star Saga.  me and Ian just played through the first demo mission to recap the rules.

DSC_0178-1896x2528

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Im tired from my night shift, but it is nearly over. Im gonna tear into some hobby tomorrow, as well as recover from the 12 hours. Also, I will squeeze in some pokemon go. I may even go to the gym and get takeout at some point. Counting down the clock until my shift ends and then it is three days off but working the 25th and 26th.

All the presents are wrapped, I forgot to write Christmas cards, the presets are under the tree, all the Christmas parties are out of the way. I just wanna take it handy today and maybe even sit down and do a hobby marathon.

My focus will be the Goblin King’s Throne for the hobbit and then moving onto the Goblin Scribe. After that there are six or seven hobbits and Radagast, and the ‘Escape from Goblin Town’ starter set will be complete.

Good to see everyone here. I will post something more coherent, music filled, interactive and such when sleep partially regenerates my cognitive function.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)