Skip to toolbar

Dreamforge Grav Stug KS Relaunch

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Dreamforge Grav Stug KS Relaunch

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 32 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  bvandewalker 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

Given how close they where to funding Dreamforge has relaunched their Grav Stug KS,  with a new price for single kits being $34.00 and the goal being $60,000. If you where following, know that they had to sadly ditch the raffle with Mr. Wood really cool paint jobs idea due to the Kickstater rule against raffles (they didn’t know about the rule till after the the last failed to launch by a small margin, so don’t hold it against them). If you are fan of space Nazi minis (like you preordered the Wargames Atlantic sets in multiples)  this is a KS you should back if you can (I know I upped my pledge to 2 due partly to the price change) .

templar007
    52356xp
    Cult of Games Member

It was a shame that the first run on this grav-tank didn’t finish strong.   But I backed it then a I’ve backed it now!  Here’s hoping that there’s enough backers at the lower price to see this one through.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

Giving up profit and reducing price just to attract more backers based on the assumption that they can get 25% more kits sold reads like a bad idea. Any problems and what little profit they had is going to melt away.

Even GW sells simple vehicle kits at the 60$ range … so it seems odd for a company to try and compete at that level.

nosegoblin
    292xp

If  you know me, you know I would not knowingly place my customers at risk.

The change in price is driven by distributing the fixed costs over a larger number of kit produced. The increase from 58k to 60k in the total campaign funding goal took care of that aspect. I gave up $537.00 to cap it at an even 60k… I am letting plastic tooling do what it does best, make more copies.

The risk has not increased… The primary issue is that it diluted the funds gathered and makes it imperative to gain more backers in order to meet the funding goal.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Looks great, and I would make great use of them in SW:Legion games, but as a UK backer this is not worth the risk.

Risk? Yes, the ‘backer is responsible for VAT’. This makes shipping a real pain as the post office will add an admin charge on top. I have been caught by this before and it is simply not worth the hassle.

Good luck with the KS, but for the UK it aint worth it.

torros
    23802xp
    Cult of Games Member

I would presume that would be the risk for all prospective backers in the EU

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

I don’t know how other EU countries handle import sales taxes. I do know that Royal Mail and DHL are a complete PITA about it, to the point where it (for me) is just not worth the bother.

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

As someone who has backed and bought foreign minis before and even sold some reaper minis to a Ukrainian via ebay, yes it can cost a lot due to just  shipping forget the tax, that is the sad fact of life in a world without nuclear powered cargo ships (and yes I would back building them just so my minis would cost less to ship from across the pond). So I understand the reluctance to spend money on this KS if one lives in the EU area with its mostly higher than normal VAT.

But at the same time if it is for an item you truly want and you can afford it, then it is worth it even with Value Added Tax. I know it was worth it to me with the forgotten world peasants and for some this kit is worth it for to complete or start that space “not nazi” army they have, plus it is a higher grade kit. That said I live in America and don’t have to deal with VAT since we just have sales tax.

So, besides all the VAT cost talk what do you guys think about the grave StuG and what games could one use it for. I ask cause I am getting 2 of these once it succeeds (confession of faith and I feel like it will), and I am wondering if there are options out there besides WH40k proxeing game wise.

templar007
    52356xp
    Cult of Games Member

@bvandewalker  I’m planning to use it for Dust and/or Star Wars: Legion.

limburger
    21535xp
    Cult of Games Member

@nosegoblin I must admit that it is tricky to predict anything so I do hope you do get it funded.
    Just be aware that anything imported into the EU (and a few additional countries) needs to have the CE certification done.
    If that is absent then backers won’t get their pledges at all (the CE requirement isn’t technically new, the strict enforcement is).
    The fact that your backers need to pay VAT probably means that customs is more likely to check for this.

I’ve had a few kickstarters that forced me to pay import related costs when I collected them at the local post office.
    In hindsight this made it needlessly expensive (adding 30-40 Euro to the cost). I suspect the bigger companies are better at hiding these additional costs or they have shipping discounts due to volume imported.

Good luck with your kickstarter

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

Paying the VAT is not the problem. Making the backer responsible is the problem. This is almost a guaranteed snafu when the item ships. I have dealt with this via both Royal Mail and DHL over the years when importing stuff, and they make it as hard as possible to justify adding all sorts of ‘admin’ charges.

nosegoblin
    292xp

I am aware that some games are getting snatched up in customs… I am not sure what their markings contained so I cannot speak to that.

All my kits have the CE marking and an age warning 0-3 forbidden. Based on the current climate in EU/UK import I will be adding a 14+ age stamp to the box as well. I can self certify and will have the appropriate documents available from the manufacturers MSDS files.

I am not sure how it is in the UK/EU but here in the states, plastic glue is kept behind the counter and age limited to 14 without a parent or guardian in most hobby stores. Thank you Tide Pod loonies and glue huffers, for your contribution 😛

bvandewalker
    Participant
    2073xp

Templer007, I have heard of DUST and Legion (Like how can you not),  didn’t know they had things you could easily  use hover tanks to proxy for in those, though for DUST there has got to be StuGs in some form right?

From your “on the ground” complaints limbuger and tankkommander it sounds like the EU and UK have either almost reached or are already at  Georgian era tax and paperwork tolerance levels,  that made said era a time when smuggling was viewed as a charitable activity and violent revolution a needed action in the face of overwhelming corruption (making it much worse over there then I imagined, which I didn’t really think was possible). If it is as bad you guys say it is, then besides making what is a valid point about how taking VAT responsibility is difficult for the backer,  you really need to either talk with your politicians or vote them all  out cause that is a dead bird in the mine, (I am not joking here you need to do something about that besides just complain here about the shipping of kickstarter projects of all things, and I don’t mean that as an insult, I am actually kinda of concerned for your safety and well being over there).

That said I think it would be a wise move nosegoblin to put what you just posted here about the CE etc. markings on the KS FAQ section (minus the last part, I hope we are all wise enough here not to sniff glue).

dunham99
    2556xp
    Cult of Games Member

i’m a UK backer and i’ve backed for 4. I love what Mark does and if that means i have to pay extra taxes to help bring his work to life then so be it! the quality of his products is fantastic and i’m sure these will be the same.

tankkommander
    Participant
    6389xp

The issue is that if the importer has to pay the VAT then it will get caught up at the post office, and at that point you end up paying a load of extra admin charges and delays on getting your stuff.

The post office love this stuff because they can screw you over for money whilst holding your stuff hostage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)