Skip to toolbar

Hobby weekender 29/03/2019 – So…. I'm it? HALP!

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Hobby weekender 29/03/2019 – So…. I'm it? HALP!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 71 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

Since we don’t have a weekender I’ll just make one… maybe? HALP!

Welcome All to another Hobby Weekender! As per tradition started generations ago, and handed down from wise elders, the intro blurb is shamelessly cut and paste below once again and possibly for all time…

To the uninitiated, this is a virtual hobby hangout here on the forum. It is something fun and silly with a little more ‘oomph’. It’s not just show and tell with your models. Its chatting, getting to know one another, community building. Think of it as a sort of club like hobby session. Everyone is welcome, of course, and there are a few rules to abide by. Let it go as OT as you like with chatting with folks. BoW/OTT is a special, unique community, and this little weekly thread is a tradition on these forums. Though not for everyone, if you are still reading and keen, then it is for you. If not, best click out.

We do a few things on this thread that usually lasts from Friday or Saturday til about Wednesday or Thursday. My say is final in this silly little corner of the internet. Fear not, for this is your safe place against the outside world of flame wars, trolling and all that other crap.

(1) Make a pledge for the weekend. It can be painting, assembly, priming, converting, background writing, terrain, you name it. Just gotta be relevant to hobbying or gaming.

(2) Chat with people. Be friendly. Do get to know one another, be kind, provide positive reinforcement and constructive criticism. Do not post up your real name, credit card, bank details or home address info.

(3) I will list out questions. Answer them. Longer answers = more points. Also, points are being assigned to something else as it confused some folk for a while.

(4) Awards will be given out at the end of the thread and you shall be awarded XP, added to your account profile by the wonderful @lancorz . Think of him as the ever vigilant Batman of the forums who keeps a careful eye on the status quo, but also acts in a way, like Alfred; with a calm disposition and the attentive nature of a concierge.

(5) Scottish Pub Law rules: no discussion of religion or politics**. Keep it clean. Behave. Be nice, be kind. Walk away if you get angry. Don’t be a dick.

Also there are bonuses for the following ‘Achievements’:
    · Most Valuable Player (most engaged with topic)
    · Fire Starter (topic starter, encourages the member circulation)
    · Hobby Champ (most hobby over the weekend)
    · Meme Lord (ryhmes, funnies & memes)
    · Pun-Tertainment (best pun)
    · Brush Licker (painting & terrain)
    · Headliner DJ (most eclectic music)
    · Armchair Commander (weekend battle reports)
    · Community Usher (helpful & engaged)
    · Storyteller (weekly discussion & story)

Note: All points are awarded in fictional currencies… sometimes

Questions for the week are as follows:

1. Why are we doing Aprils fools day?
    2. Do you do Aprils fools day?
    3. Do you like Aprils fools day?

PS: I’ll try to do this right… need to find my dice for distributing points

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

My answers:

1. I wouldn’t have asked if I knew!
    2. No
    3. Mostly no, but sometimes there are some gems.

Anonymous
    0xp

1.  Some people blame the French, others blame Chaucer.

2. No.  And as it is after 12.00pm… April Fools is dead and gone, your the fool for carrying on!

3. No.  But Spaghetti trees are awesome!!!!

tuffyears
    23171xp
    Cult of Games Member

Did this using the shadowspear art cards and a couple pictures off the internet

YuthYGj

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  tuffyears.

sundancer
    42595xp
    Cult of Games Member

A family photo? 😉

rayzryr
    Participant
    20833xp

You got this @sundancer ! We believe in you!!

Answers!

1. Because it’s a great big laugh.

Like they said in the song “Life’s a laugh and deaths a joke, it’s true”

2. Nope!

3. It’s alright. The Net makes it much easier to enjoy others efforts in this regard!

In other entirely rely unrelated news, GW have announced a new hobby tool, and they’re accepting questions to add to the app on the community page:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/01/introducing-the-iserv-pro/

I have of course submitted my own question.

Im still working on Elves, and Dark Angels!D7C85BE9-3B39-447B-9AF4-AC47B21A55980D0C2CEB-578A-4A31-B9DE-5F3418328100

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Great to see a thread up! I’ve been working through the weekend as well as having my son up so never had the chance

time to wake up and get posting!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

GUTEN TAG!!!!

My gym appointment was cancelled, and now I am on a comfy recliner couch with my laptop with Black Sabbath playing in the background. I’m too comfortable to go to the woods on a walk. So, time for hobby, youtube and computer games! Also my hobby supplies recently arrived in the mail.

My pledge is:

• Work on my 9x Primaris Aggressors (hopefully to completion)
    • Base them and my previous finished Minotaurs (a cursed founding Space Marine Chapter)
    • Assemble and Prime my Ryza Ruins from Conquest Magazine
    • Play Risk: Legacy later

Undoubtedly I will add more to this once I make more progress but right now my current large project takes priority. Even though I am itching to do other stuff. I might put one day aside for the sake of catharsis for priming and assembling other models. As for the large project it consists of (and I have mentioned it before):

1. The Dark Imperium Starter Set
    2. Conquest Magazine Subscription (some I picked up multiple issues of and have more)
    3. Half a Dark Imperium set’s worth of Death Guard
    4. The Minotaur Space Marines I already have

As you can see, this is kind of like three medium sized projects on top of a full Starter set, so it kind of hits the ‘uber-sized’ tier. I already have the Space Marines from Conquest fully painted as well as the terrain. There is still a lot to go but I think in three months I might have it all done. There are a lot of minis though.

Any interest in seeing this turned into a hobby project log on the site?

And now onto the answers to questions!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

(1) Why are we doing Aprils fools day?

I think it goes back to Christians making fun of pagans for their new year celebrations, but I am quoting the Simpsons here and quite frankly, there is too much to read on wikipedia which could be wrong and I don’t want to commit any of it to memory…

Bless those pagans.

(2) Do you do Aprils fools day?

No, not any more. I took a prank too far one year when I was a teenager and my parents nearly killed me so I decided it was time to stop. Plus I can see escalation potentially happening and it never ends well hahaha.

(3) Do you like Aprils fools day?

No, not any more. I can be paranoid enough as it is without looking over my shoulder one day a year, hahahaha. It is nice and safe indoors at my house and just to watch companies and news articles do their own thing with it. That said, I am tempted some year to leave a plate of oreos out with the cream replaced with toothpaste.

On the music front I am keener to cleanse my pallet from the 2000s and 2010s threads with some good old fashioned rock and metal

oriskany
    60735xp
    Cult of Games Member

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  oriskany.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer doing the hobby weekender ?

Maximum pun alert!

😀

• Why are we doing Aprils fools day?
      ’cause on April 1st Alva lost his glasses ? 😉

Or rather that would be the literal translation … of ‘op 1 April verloor Alva den bril’
    It refers to the fact that the city ‘Den Briel’ was captured from the Spanish during the 80 year war.
    It wasn’t much of a fight as the Spanish presence was minor, but it was to prove a major morale boost for the Dutch.
    As a result it is still remembered and celebrated in that city.
    Details :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Brielle

• Do you do Aprils fools day?
      Nope.
    • Do you like Aprils fools day?
      The lack of any actual funny jokes makes it boring.

Google did have a brilliant one this year though :

Drupal is offering a service to make websites Brexit proof :

https://www.drupal.org/project/brexit

Homey offering a new service for their smart home module :

https://adassist.athom.com/

Nvidia getting in on the ‘smart home’ devices too :

(I needs this one)

And this one is kind of funny :

Stackoverflow ( https://stackoverflow.com/ ) had part of its site convert to MySpace styled design, because *eh* reasons …

//

Pledge ?
    I shall be receiving my Core Space pledge 😀
    because I didn’t have enough games 😉
    I also shall  continu my adding to my army of minions.

Anonymous
    0xp

@tuffyears I like your idea for the postcards, will look good in a hobby room.

@rayzryr Is there any fluff related to Dark Angels and them accepting these newfangled Primaris Marines?  I haven’t kept up with the story but I could really see them telling Guilliman to go away what with all their secrets and hunts for The Fallen…

@mage can’t beat a bit of Sabbath!  You should throw up a Project Blog, even just to help motivation.

@oriskany good luck with your game.  I’m just too young to remember the Falklands but the Harrier is my favourite plane ever.

@limburger Core Space?  Could you give a brief synopsis?

unnamed

Stuff I have been building.  Need a day set aside to prime these.

limburger
    21534xp
    Cult of Games Member

@robert : Firefly meets ‘Walking dead: all out war’

Watch the recent video and it will make sense.

oriskany
    60735xp
    Cult of Games Member

Q&A Time:

1) Why are we doing Aprils fools day?  Beats me.  I read once that some cultures used to mark the new year on April 1.  When they switched over to January 1, anyone who still observed the old April 1 date was an “April Fool” and subjected to ridicule.  Don’t know for sure how true that is.

2) Do you do Aprils fools day?  No.  I always forget.

3) Do you like Aprils fools day?  Not really, but I don’t mind it either.  Like I said, I always forget, so I am the butt of at least one joke or fall for someone’s gag because I never remember the significance of the day.

oriskany
    60735xp
    Cult of Games Member

Progress on DAK 28mm Bolt Action force.  Built and primed in the previous thread.  Now, air-brush based DAK yellow, with mud brown along the bottom of the vehicles and some zenithal light gray on the top.  This gets the vehicles and troops more or less ready for detail painting.  I’m not planning on spending tons of time on these guys, 28mm isn’t really my jam.

BUT THERE SHALL BE NO LEAD MOUNTAIN IN THIS HOUSE!

Oriskany_HWE_01_11
    Oriskany_HWE_01_13
    Oriskany_HWE_01_15
    Oriskany_HWE_01_16
    Oriskany_HWE_01_18

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)