Skip to toolbar

Orktober: A potential forum community oppurtunity?

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Orktober: A potential forum community oppurtunity?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  mage 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

A combination of recenty Games Workshop Previews and discussion between @evilstu , @bothi and myslef on the most recent Hobby Weekender thread, we spitballed doing a possible forum/community thing here on BoW.

GW recently announced a new replacement for their old Wartrak with a new game coming in October (referred to as Orktober here):

Breaking News from the Warhammer Citadel

There are other videos and previews elsewhere but I do not want to overload this thread with links, the above one is sufficient. Also previews is a Troll (now ‘Troggoth’ in the world of Age of Sigmar). This mini, while not an Orc/Ork/Orruk is a Troll (if not by another name) which was always associated with the weedier diminutive cousin of the Orc, a Goblin (Grot in Age of Sigmar). This model is confirmed as part of the Warhammer Underworlds game which would imply Goblins are on the way too, but nothing offical has been said.

This announcement, along with some discussion got a few of us nostalgic for the Third War for Armageddon. This was an old Worldwide Campaign Games Workshop did around 2000 ish. Its a huge part of the Warhammer 40,000 fluff. Thus, Orktober was suggested. Would anyone be interested in participating, doing their own thing or making suggestions for some said event? Its nothing official nor to do with the BoW team or main site, but something fun for us community members to immerse ourselves in?

Of course, obvious, GW do not own , so basically anything Orcish is relevant and welcomed!

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m always in for something orky but I stopped with 40k years ago (still have my boys).  And Gorka Morka was more a “collectable” than a game I really played. Only active orcs & goblins I have are my Blood Bowl teams… but colour me interested.

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

If people want to get involved and jump in there are plenty of options to paint up some orcs or do something orc-y. Hobby projects which might involve orcs (off the top of my head…):

Lord of the Rings

Dungeon dwelling monsters for D&D

Age of Sigmar

Dungeon Saga

Kill Team

Blood Bowl

Shadespire

Kings of War

9th Age

Frostgrave

And I’m sure there would be a bunch more if we all stopped and thought about it. Orc themed terrain projects could be fun too. I’d suggest anything under the broad orc/ork umbrella (So trolls, goblins, bugbears, kobolds, gnolls etc) are fair game for the purposes of this challenge too. Anybody have any other games or orc themed hobby projects they can suggest that might inspire people?

angelicdespot
    4684xp
    Cult of Games Member

Whether or not I participate will depend greatly on how much time I’ve got in October, but I’m definitely interested.   I haven’t played orks in a long, long time, but I’ve got loads and for a long time they were my main army.

I’ve not been very satisfied with what GW have done with them in the last few editions of the game, but I’m hoping that 8th Ed. will tilt the focus back towards the kind of armies I like(d) and the kind of game play I’m interested in.   If so, a community Orktober might be just the thing to get me to do some work on some models.

a27cromwell
    Participant
    3127xp

Something Orky sounds fun . In fact I have an Ork Bomber somewhere  that  I picked up a few years ago .   I hadn’t  really decided   what to do  with it, or if I really needed it , but the price was right ( $10 ) , from a discount bin .  Its a little to ” busy ” with Ork add ons  for my taste , but I’m sure I could make a go of it . Orks are usually green , right ? Hey my comfort zone is WW II, ok

rayzryr
    Participant
    20733xp

Yeah, I’d be interested. I’ve got some orky stuff that is fairly low on the list, but I’d happily bring it out and join in!

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

@a27cromwell & @rayzryr Orcses is Orcses

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m not a fan of those ugly greenskins myself, but after the GW buggy reveal trailer I wants in on the action too.

(as if I needed an excuse to start an orc kill team 😉 … )

It’s definitely a great idea to have some sort of unofficial themed monthly thing to inspire people with things to do and watch/read.

I think we can do it by starting a single Orktober thread to collect all the orky-talk and projects.
    Kind of like the weelky weekender, except more orky and a little longer running.

People could list their favourite Orky tunes and war stories too.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

Neat ideas @limburger

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  mage.

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

For me the games I’ll cover are:

Lord of the Rings

Arcworlde

Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Warhammer 40,000

evilstu
    15298xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll commit to doing at least an Orc/Ork Kill Team, with the potential to upgrade that to a small 40k force if I have capacity. Also may break out a few Reaper bones minis to use for D&D as a side project.

Agree we should have one central thread to post green nonsense at. Kind of like a small and temporary WAYPN?…

Did anybody pick up Zombicide Green Tide? Just askin’…

mage
    Participant
    20595xp

The Hunt for Red Orktober: WAAAAGGGHHH!!!! are you painting now?

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

@evilstu : thanks for reminding me of that big pile of undead orcs …

War buggy and that ‘game’ is still looking mighty tempting though.

Besides … any fantasy game worth a damn is going to have orkses *eh* orks *eh* orcs *eh* orruks … well them mean green clobbering brutes.

I won’t even try to predict how much ork-related stuff I could do in a month, but I will most certainly be reading that thread when it pops up.

bothi
    Participant
    6472xp

Thanks for opening the thread @mage . And yeah like you said doing some orky stuff would be fun. I have an really old ork army lying around that need some love. Probably gonna work on them. Or create a Killteam out of them. Something like that.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just a thought: Orks of War – Alternate WW II universe 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)