Skip to toolbar

Soloman Kane KS about to arrive, and I couldn't care less!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion Soloman Kane KS about to arrive, and I couldn't care less!

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 62 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  ninjilly 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

horus500
    11505xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m not going to waste many words on this. I backed the Soloman Kane KS several years ago (2018) and I recieved notification today that it will arrive next week. It’s so overdue that I honestly have lost all the enthusiasm I had for it. I’m a massive Robert E Howard fan but this one bit hard.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s the biggest trouble with KS in general. From pledge to fulfilment can take ages. That’s one of the reason why I stay away from big KS investments that have a delivery date beyond 6 – 12 months… StarCitizen anybody?

captainventanus
    Participant
    4765xp

StarCitizen is just a completely different level…. I don’t quite understand how people think it is ever going to deliver what was promised. I guess the journey is the destination with that one.

I’ve backed 2 major KS and been very happy with the results even with 1-2 year delivery. Those were things I really wanted that otherwise would not have come about. The whole KS thing as always struck me as theatre though, getting people overexcited, and the campaigns are the buzz more than the final product. I can’t see most backers using most of the stuff they get. Anything beyond a year you are going to be in a completely different place.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

Kickstarters frequently deliver late and delays of 12-18 months are not unheard of, so much so that I manage my expectations by always adding a year on to expected delivery dates.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

only 2 years over due ? 😉 I’ve got at least one that is even worse …

I must admit that I often forgot I had kickstarters incoming until they actually showed up.
    The combination of lots of hype during the kickstarter and a long silence during the actual production/shipping phase makes it hard to have any steam left by the time the thing actually arrives.

Part of the problem is that there simply isn’t anything significant to report.
    And then there’s the story heavy games where they can’t post any content without spoiling the experience.

I expect extra delays when there is hardware, software, story or 3rd party approval involved.
    Never mind the inexperienced teams doing their first project …

Although I do have to say that people can be impatient little *beeps* who can’t even handle a single change in a kickstarter even if the team responsible is transparent about why it was needed. The screaming of ‘scammerz!11!!’  are annoying as feck.

sundancer
    42552xp
    Cult of Games Member

Also I think it’s always the type of KS that makes a difference. If you back something like Fugou terrain it’ll be useful next year and the year after that. But games, with a hype associated, simply fall flat when they are delivered and the hype train has moved on waaaaay ahead…

flatbattery
    8265xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m with you on this one. All credit to Mythic, with regular updates they can keep a small amount of hype intact, but there’s only so far it can be carried. I backed JOA, Reichbusters and Solomon Kane, the latter being the only one I’ve lost all interest in. The wife is still excited though, so at least it’s guaranteed some table time, and who knows? Maybe it’ll live up to the original hype.

Has to be said, Solomon Kane is by no means the only one this has occurred with, which is why I’ve stopped backing anything on crowd funding sites. It’s great for funding fantastic ideas, but when I’m disinterested in the end product, I’m failing to see a personal benefit to what is usually a pricey outlay.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am totally unconvinced by the hype argument to be honest. I backed the original Conan game by Monolith and that was well over a year late, in fact it was beset by delays almost straight away as they had some issues getting Kickstarter to transfer the funds to them. Conan had absolutely loads of hype and I think it might have been the first (certainly one of the first) boards games to pass the $1m mark. When it eventually arrived I didn’t suddenly just shrug my shoulders and and put it to one side because the delays had killed my excitement. Why? because it was still Conan!  In fact I was more excited about it because it was late, it was Conan The Barbarian for christ’s sake!

I think people need to ask themselves why they are  excited about a kickstarter.  is it because it is something you really, really love or is it because you feel like you should be excited because everyone else is?  I guess if you don’t feel excited by it when it’s delivered late, you probably don’t love that thing as much as you think you do.  But I don’t really think that’s the fault of the people making the game. They can be responsible for it being late, but in most cases, not for recipients not being excited to finally take delivery of the product.

limburger
    21533xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think a lot of people are discovering that they aren’t actually as interested in the (final) product as they thought they were.

I’ve noticed this myself as some kickstarters I just put into storage while others managed to make me want to open the box the moment it arrived.

That initial hype often makes it feel like you’re pre-ordering a product that will be available within months after the kickstarter finishes. And because people forget to check how much progress there was prior to the kickstarter launch (and how many silly stretchgoals were unlocked … ) they forget that these things take (more) time.

captainventanus
    Participant
    4765xp

Initially I backed the last JoA KS as I liked the idea of being able to playout the large battles of the HYW and sieges with what seemed to be a fun and lightish ruleset that I could get others in the family interested in. I was not interested in the fantasy side.

By the time of the pledge manager opening the total cost of being able to do what I wanted to do – which was modest in the grand scheme – was around €400 plus another €100 shipping and I’d have to find somewhere to store 1.5m of boxes eventually. And a two year wait without having the chance even try out the system in advance. For me at that point it wasn’t worth it anymore.

pagan8th
    Participant
    8949xp

I’ve back several ks that I lost interest in before they arrived because of delays. Infinity RPG was one of them and I blame corvis bellend for that as they were too OCD about their product..

Now I back only rarely and it has to be something I really want.

Problem with ks is that the month the product is on ks is the exciting bit. After that it’s just waiting… like watching paint dry.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  pagan8th.

phaidknott
    7011xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think another thing with kickstarters is the false idea of a “bargain”. At the end of the day, once you’ve got all the additional pledge items (it’s rare to see just one box, particularly with any “boardgame with minis” projects) you could have spent £400-£500 in a frenzy of FOMO spending.

Half the time you could get just as many miniatures (if not a better quality), for an established rule system (rather than pledging blindly on rules that are “TBC” at the time of the kickstarter).

There’s few KS schemes that perk my interest these days (I’ve become REALLY picky), and if there’s no FULL “Lets Play Videos” on Youtube it will not get a look in.

Resist the FOMO, don’t be a sheep, buy games that you will play repeatedly (rather than just the one run through which some KS schemes are designed to do), and finally really, really look at the rules and not at all the nice renders 🙂

darkvoivod
    7112xp
    Cult of Games Member

I think I might get that you’re not to excited if something better came along? But I don’t back a kickstarter unless I’m damn sure I’m enthusiastic about what’s offered (and won’t back any new massive miniature games any time soon any more, cause I have enough)

But any games I have backed, I’m very happy with, I backed both Myth campaigns. The first was a huge succes for me. The second one I hope will be delivered this year as the new owner claim they’ll be producing any day now. Since that news I dusted of  what I had of the game and planning to have a play this weekend. I also primed some of the mini’s I haven’t played yet.
    I still very much want my products and I backed it in 2016!!

I need to be very sure I’ll use what I get if I put 100’s of euro’s in a game. Thus far the only kicktstarter I regretted is redgrass games painting handles and wetpallet. They just don’t function as I hoped.

onlyonepinman
    18051xp
    Cult of Games Member

@cdn41 it’s not as much of  a gamble as you might think.  I have backed, to date, 81 kickstarters (I won’t disclose the total amount) and that’s just the ones that are on my account.  I quite often go halves on a pledge with my brother (my primary gaming buddy) and for the price of two pledges we can get a single pledge with add ons.  So I am invested in several more kickstarters above the 81 I have backed myself.  To date, only 3 out of the 81 have failed representing a total of £140 over the course of 8 years (first kickstarter backed in 2013).  That £140 is more than offset by the savings made by backing things on kickstarter.  The worst that usually happens is that projects don’t deliver on the dates they originally estimate but if you go into it expecting that they won’t actually hit their deadlines it ceases to be an issue.

@limburger of the 81 projects I have backed there’s only one that I regret backing (route 666: devil’s run) and even then I actually found a good home for it so it didn’t go to waste.  When people say they have lost interest in a game by the time they get it, that probably means they weren’t interested in the game, they were excited by the idea of a game ( a bit like when people think they’re in love but they’re actually in love with the idea of being in love).  It’s like, OK, so this game I backed 3 years ago has just turned up; 3 years ago I wanted to play it but now I don’t. Why?  What’s changed in 3 years?  The only thing that’s changed is that there is no longer anyone telling you that you want to play it

horus500
    11505xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m glad I’m not alone in this. The Conan KS was my first and whilst the game isn’t great I was such a fanboy I was prepared to overlook it because it was Conan. MB Pantheon, Massive Darkness, Hate, JoA, Zomicide Black Plague, Blood Rage, Rising Sun, A Song of Ice and Fire,  Warpath (which I’ve sadly not touched, well played GW! 40K new ed 2 years early, remember that?) and a few others later and I’m spent. I have another small Conan game coming, but skipped the Egyptian part of the CMON trilogy and I can honestly say I’m less than enthusiastic for MB Ragnorok.

I didn’t mind the Conan add ons as they were basically re-prints or extra scenarios. JoA 2 gave me the shits because I’d just recieved JoA 1 and it came with rules changes. Didn’t look at Massive Darkness 2 and I won’t be looking at any other Zombicide ever again.

KS, I think we’re done!

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  horus500.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)